LEGO Castle 70404 - King's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
peggyjdb
Royal Chronicler

LEGO Castle 70404 - King's Castle

Post by peggyjdb »

Just seen the image of the new LEGO Castle 70404 - King's Castle http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebricktime/8434232109/. I hate being negative about lego but I'm really disappointed with this. I can get over the dodgy catapult, but the shields and barding. They are not what I hopped for and echos back to Kingdoms 1 which helped me loss interest in the lego castle theme.

What are other peoples thoughts?
Aeridian
Councilor
Location: A wanderer, for home is where the food is good and the company is better.

Re: LEGO Castle 70404 - King's Castle

Post by Aeridian »

Hey, we've had some actual set pictures for the last couple days on the Lego Castle/LotR thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23141&p=253097#p253097 and there's been a bit of discussion as well.
~ Ductus Exemplo ~
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeridian/]Flickr[/url]
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Aeridian wrote:Hey, we've had some actual set pictures for the last couple days on the Lego Castle/LotR thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23141&p=253097#p253097 and there's been a bit of discussion as well.
Yeah, but who wants to wade through a 5 page topic looking for the pictures?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I am so disappointed in the Castle offering. The Great Helm new to the Kingdoms theme is sadly not present, but the design and coloring of these sets are so bland. I am planning on skipping most and I have been a die hard Castle nut my whole life, I may pick up some minifigure heavy sets, but since the wall pieces and ruined inverted half-arches are everywhere, plus the boring design... I just can't do it. Kingdoms Joust and LOTR & Hobbit sets will fill my Castle void.
I was hoping for more character to these sets.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Aeridian
Councilor
Location: A wanderer, for home is where the food is good and the company is better.

Post by Aeridian »

Count Blacktron wrote:I am so disappointed in the Castle offering. The Great Helm new to the Kingdoms theme is sadly not present, but the design and coloring of these sets are so bland. I am planning on skipping most and I have been a die hard Castle nut my whole life, I may pick up some minifigure heavy sets, but since the wall pieces and ruined inverted half-arches are everywhere, plus the boring design... I just can't do it. Kingdoms Joust and LOTR & Hobbit sets will fill my Castle void.
I was hoping for more character to these sets.
Those are some good points. But if you did see the other pictures you would've seen the great helm present in black.

And it's hard to tell, but it's also on a knight in the bottom left corner, though a bit blurry.
~ Ductus Exemplo ~
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Which picture and minifigure has the great helm, I can't find it.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Aeridian
Councilor

Post by Aeridian »

Count Blacktron wrote:Which picture and minifigure has the great helm, I can't find it.
Most of the pictures do, but because they aren't close up the minifig details are easy to miss. The link to the picture in this thread has the knight with the helm in the bottom left corner, but there might be an actual minifig or something in the way.
~ Ductus Exemplo ~
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Okay, my bad, I see it now. I had been seeing the pictures from the smaller screen of my phone, but on the PC they are much clearer now. I was sort of horrified by some of the design elements of the large King's Castle that had me overlooking some details. It seems like the sets are quite incomplete. I may have been spoiled by the City Corner series, LOTR and the Kingdom's Joust sets.
Perhaps I am evolving :roflol:
Still, my old credo of "parts is parts" may apply here, the largest set is only half-complete (two are needed to complete the tower/wall arrangement) and I have found over the years that I just don't like building with the pre-fab Castle wall elements.
Sir Bragallot
Artisan

Post by Sir Bragallot »

At least we no longer get those raised baseplates with 4 corners to put stuff in... Having a few can be useful, but it was the laziest way they ever built castles imo.
[url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21682]Enter the World of Westeron[/url]