Orthanc

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Re: Orthanc

Post by Elephant Knight »

My wallet is going to hate me this summer....
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

Just when I figured out a plan for how I'm going to save to buy all the sets from the new LOTR wave coming out next month, they do this. Not super excited about all the black pieces, but this might be one I build and keep together for a while anyway. The overall design of the tower looks really great, and I really like the different levels on the interior. A little disappointed that for such a large set there are only a handful of mini-figures, but then again I'm not sure who else I would have included that isn't already in other sets. Another Thoeden, Merry or Pippen? Overall I'm very impressed with it and this is one I'll definitely be picking up at some point.
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

This is really cool of Lego to make this iconic tower. Not in my price range, but I can appreciate the style of this set. I'd like to see some fans make this tower in different colors. I saw people complaining about the lack of a moth in the set. Surely Lego could have added a white Friends butterfly to the set. :wink: The discussion about the Ent got me thinking. How cool would it be for Lego to make a Treebeard set similar to the Power Miners Crystal King and then add a few different pieces and alternate instructions for people wanting an army of Ents? Kinda killing 2 birds with one stone (or 2 orcs with one tree, if you prefer). I love the Saruman hair/beard piece and would love Grima just for the sake of having a character that the movies made me enjoy more than I originally had.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Purple Wolf
Hero
Hero

Post by Purple Wolf »

Now this is a beautiful set. The build of the tower is wonderful and the figs are great. if I had the money i would so bye this set, sadly money is something I don't have.

Purple Wolf :)
There's always room for dessert.
brickshelf
"Trolls exist! They steal your socks but only the left ones whats with that?"
athronieth
Laborer

Post by athronieth »

This is an awesome set in many respects. It is a HUGE tower. It has interesting interior designs with numerous specialty pieces. It has several unique minifigures. I love the balcony for Saruman. Overall, they did very well to keep the black exterior interesting and not just a plain black shine of bricks.

If I had the money, I would buy it but add an open-and-close back. But I do not have the money. :cry: ...unless I sell off some other older sets. It is tempting.
Quelta the Emerald Isle [url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=athronieth[/url]
Ferretclaw
Artisan

Post by Ferretclaw »

This is awesome. I think the exterior is really great! Too bad they didnt include a backside similar to weathertop, that can open up.
athronieth wrote:This is an awesome set in many respects. It is a HUGE tower. It has interesting interior designs with numerous specialty pieces. It has several unique minifigures. I love the balcony for Saruman. Overall, they did very well to keep the black exterior interesting and not just a plain black shine of bricks.

If I had the money, I would buy it but add an open-and-close back. But I do not have the money. :cry: ...unless I sell off some other older sets. It is tempting.
I think we are thinking along the same lines...
"All that is gold does not glitter..." ~LOTR
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98506221@N08/
Mocpages: http://mocpages.com/home.php/103548
[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/95487351 ... 3d8e_t.jpg[/img]
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

This is a nice kit though not my or my wifes style. We havnt decided if we are going to buy it yet. But the one we saw built up was sweet an very tempting.
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

Lil_Curt wrote:This is a nice kit though not my or my wifes style. We havnt decided if we are going to buy it yet. But the one we saw built up was sweet an very tempting.
It is definitely a purchase for me, although I wish TLG would have added a backside that opened and closed.
I would be very interested in reading a full review from an active CC poster.
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

I was tempted, but when I realized what I was tempted by, it was pretty much just bits and pieces of the whole thing. Building it would be amazing fun, don't get me wrong. But I don't build in black...primarily because it is such a pain to photograph...and because it isn't really my color. And that is a lot of money for something to buy that doesn't fit with my collection. So for me, I'm heading to bricklink to buy the parts of it that I want.

I don't think it is too expensive at all. For what it is, it is really amazing and the price is not as bad as the Taj Mahal was or any of the huge SW ships. I would have bought it if I wasn't looking at buying new tires.

And in comparison, I think it is a far better set in design and build than the Cinema Palace...which I adore the modular buildings. And I would buy it over the Joust any day of the week and twice on Sunday...now if only there was a lot of tan in it. :wink: But then, wouldn't my ants look amazing attacking it? Mmmm ant attack!
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Bluesecrets wrote: But then, wouldn't my ants look amazing attacking it? Mmmm ant attack!
Don't you mean ents? :P

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Haha! I totally didn't even realize that she must have meant "ents". I was just thinking, "Umm... Do you have some famous Lego ant collection I'm not aware of, or something? Ants attacking Orthanc? Seems a bit odd...." :roflol:
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

AK_Brickster wrote:I was just thinking, "Umm... Do you have some famous Lego ant collection I'm not aware of, or something? Ants attacking Orthanc? Seems a bit odd...." :roflol:
No, she does have a famous Lego ant collecton, see here or here.
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

No, she does have a famous Lego ant collecton
Indeed I do. It tops over 750 ants. Which would be truly epic attacking that tower. They attack so many things. They are just great.

But, back on topic...I saw this set at the store today and had to force myself to walk away. I really really really would love to build this and savor it for days. But...I can do without it...and hope it goes on sale, which may be a silly hope.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

Bluesecrets wrote:...and hope it goes on sale, which may be a silly hope.
I'm waiting for the double points deal that usually happens in October. Last year I had a 10% coupon on the back of the catalog that was mailed to my house. I think they overlapped, although I'm not 100% on that. Not really a sale, but if you can hold out (and assuming they do similar promotions this fall) 10% off and double VIP points isn't a bad deal.