Best Knight?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Re: Best Knight?

Post by rogue27 »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:Game of Thrones "Kingsguard" have gold armor? Not 100% on that though...

The Kingsguard wear white cloaks and ordinary metal armor. Jamie Lannister, a member of the Kingsguard, sometimes does wear gold armor for show, but I don't think he wears it in combat.

The Series 9 Knight is a good start for making a Kingsguard figure, so I bought seven of them. White capes, different heads, instant kingsguard!
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

AK_Brickster wrote:Yep, I'd have to agree that the armor is merely gold-plated. A set of armor made of pure gold would be even more ridiculously heavy than a normal set of armor!
Also gold is a "soft" metal that would not make good armor ;)
Pedro Ivo
Apprentice

Post by Pedro Ivo »

Elephant Knight wrote:I nominate this guy:

Dragon plumes make a knight. Especially white ones.

EKnight
I make your words mine!
This was the best knight ever released!
Sir Bragallot
Artisan

Post by Sir Bragallot »

The guy from Black Monarch's Castle does take the cake.

I also really like this guy, because I think the classic visored helmet is so awesome:

There are more that I like, but I do feel I have to mention Princess Storm :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21682]Enter the World of Westeron[/url]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

rogue27 wrote:
The Series 9 Knight is a good start for making a Kingsguard figure, so I bought seven of them. White capes, different heads, instant kingsguard!

Yes, my thoughts exactly as well... but for which "Crown" King should they serve now that we have two? Perhaps I will make the same for the 2010 Lions...lets see, take the gold King's armor...hmmm :wink:
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

My vote goes to this guy.

He has the armor piece, printed legs, my favorite type of helmet, very cool and useful double sided face, and color combinations that just look right. The Black Monarch knight lacks all of this except the armor and helmet.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Quickblade22, pretty tough to argue that the new prints aren't vastly superior, but that classic blue/black barding is still one of my favorites, and it's hard to beat white dragon plumes!!

What if we took this in a new direction..... everyone makes their own "best knight" and we have a bit of a competition! That way, people can mix all of the best elements of both the new AND classic parts of their collections to make the all-time "ultimate knight"!
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Sir Bragallot
Artisan

Post by Sir Bragallot »

The old prints still have their charm imo. 'My' best knight is probably this guy, Lord James the Black, as designed by Silent-Sigfig (he sent me the design so I could copy it and he could use this guy in some of my battles):

[url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21682]Enter the World of Westeron[/url]
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Quickblade22, pretty tough to argue that the new prints aren't vastly superior, but that classic blue/black barding is still one of my favorites, and it's hard to beat white dragon plumes!!
I was going solely on the figure and not the mounts or their gear. Dragon Plumes were wonderful and it's a shame they are no longer produced.
What if we took this in a new direction..... everyone makes their own "best knight" and we have a bit of a competition! That way, people can mix all of the best elements of both the new AND classic parts of their collections to make the all-time "ultimate knight"!

Well, I think it would warrant a new and separate topic. If you decide to go that route, I'd suggest making it a "purist" ultimate knight. No 3rd party items, no self customizing (painting, sculpting, cutting, gluing, decals, etc), and no mounts. The above post would be a prime example of what I'm talking about.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Good call on a separate topic. Braggalot, since you have a fig already photographed, do you want to start a new thread over in the MOC forum for this? I suggest copying Quickblade's "rules" regarding it being a purist fig. :)
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

Good idea on the best knight topic. I will participate.

Back on topic with this original discussion; after viewing the new castle knights it would be hard not to include them in the discussion for best knight. The dragon one particularly comes to mind in all of his she "awesomeness." :)
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

Quickblade22 wrote: Well, I think it would warrant a new and separate topic. If you decide to go that route, I'd suggest making it a "purist" ultimate knight. No 3rd party items, no self customizing (painting, sculpting, cutting, gluing, decals, etc), and no mounts. The above post would be a prime example of what I'm talking about.
That's a good idea... where oh where though to place it? :) MOC's? :)
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Yes. The MOCs forum would be best, since we are going to exclude custom parts from consideration.

EDIT: I went ahead and started the thread for this. Let's see what you've got! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24155
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

Bluesecrets wrote:
I nominate the "crownie" golden knight from the fantasy era. That gold armor is unbeatable, plus he has a gray beard, so must have won a great many encounters with those nasty skellies and other enemies to survive to that age! (Image by Agent Fuse posted in Brickipedia)
A good healthy debate ensues.

I object! That golden knight is a "pansy" in my castle world. What self respecting Knight wears gold?!?! It is a soft metal!!!! It isn't going to stop any weapon coming at him. To look pretty I say. To brag and to show off. In other words absolutely no knight I want defending me. No thanks. Now if you are going to tell me he is in his "party" attire, well I still say no thank you. What kind of knight wastes his money on gold armor when he can spend it on better weapons, armor and horses?

Give me a good old fashion Black Falcon or a Shadow Knight and I am a happy and well defended lady.
In his defense, what could be the case is that he started out with normal iron armor, and after winning so much treasure through his victories over the years, he decided to gold plate his armor, like give it an over lay. Or it could be a metal that just resembles gold. But I definitely would not wear solid gold armor, to heavy and too soft.
hornsofodin
Serf

Post by hornsofodin »

Bluesecrets wrote:
I nominate the "crownie" golden knight from the fantasy era. That gold armor is unbeatable, plus he has a gray beard, so must have won a great many encounters with those nasty skellies and other enemies to survive to that age! (Image by Agent Fuse posted in Brickipedia)
A good healthy debate ensues.

I object! That golden knight is a "pansy" in my castle world. What self respecting Knight wears gold?!?! It is a soft metal!!!! It isn't going to stop any weapon coming at him. To look pretty I say. To brag and to show off. In other words absolutely no knight I want defending me. No thanks. Now if you are going to tell me he is in his "party" attire, well I still say no thank you. What kind of knight wastes his money on gold armor when he can spend it on better weapons, armor and horses?

Give me a good old fashion Black Falcon or a Shadow Knight and I am a happy and well defended lady.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilding