Question about older castle sets

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
jon_p
Artisan

Question about older castle sets

Post by jon_p »

I just built up my copy of 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost, which I won from ebay.
It is quite a fun little set and I really like the knight that comes with it.
But what I would like to know is, on each side of the small door bit, there is one of these (one of which has a technic pin in)
I was just wondering, does this mean that the older castle sets joined up to form a larger layout or something? Are there other sets which are like this?
Thanks,

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Re: Question about older castle sets

Post by LEGOFREAK »

jon_p wrote:I was just wondering, does this mean that the older castle sets joined up to form a larger layout or something? Are there other sets which are like this?
Thanks,

Jon.
YES

If you take a look at most of the older sets they had that pin. IF you look around here somewhere Jojo I think posted a picture of all of them together to make a nifty little castle. Its one of the things that I personally would like to see lego get back to.

Freak
:D
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

LEGOFREAK wrote:Its one of the things that I personally would like to see lego get back to.
Well they started doing it with most of the HP sets but from what most people think of these sets, I guess its not what you had in mind.

Jon.

lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

The way they did it with the HP set looks like they just did it to get kids to purchase all of them. It's also like that for Jabbas Palace.

In my opinion, the old castle sets seemed like you could play with them alone. But the HP sets are sorta incomplete looking, a long with jabbas... so one would wanna buy all the sets to finish it.... Then maybe you might wanna play with it.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

jon_p wrote:Are there other sets which are like this?
Hi!

Every castle wall section from 1984-1990 could connect together like that.

Some I can think of:
6034 Black Monarch's Ghost
6040 Blacksmith Shop
6041 Armor Shop
6059 Knight's Stronghold
6061 Siege Tower
6062 Battering Ram
6067 Guarded Inn
6073 Knight's Castle
6074 Black Falcon's Fortress
6080 King's Castle
6085 Black Monarch's Castle

It is a terrible shame that TLC stopped releasing sets that connected with these, for it was a wonderful idea.

BTW, does anybody know if the Castle Talonjay wall is modular like that? I wouldn't want to connect that ugly thing to any of my old castle sets, but it would be nice to know anyway.

*this message was edited to fix minor errors*
Last edited by rogue27 on Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Hi

Basically what every1 said before, the list the Rogue wrote is almost complete excpet that 6059 and 6034 are from 1990. Some sets were used to close the castle when it's open like 6061 for 6080 and 6073, 6062 for 6074 and 6059 for 6085. 6074 had the same Technic bricks on the side of the front wall as well so it can be usefull to attach it from there as well.

One more thing Castle 6081 had on one of her sides a Technic bricks as well (since the castle can't open since it's on a rasied plate), so you could still attached it. After that the castles went to the rasied plates point where the entire idea was abonaded unfortuntatly.
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

What can I say, many.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
jon_p wrote:I was just wondering, does this mean that the older castle sets joined up to form a larger layout or something? Are there other sets which are like this?
You can take a look at those modular sets connected in a reasonable way (in my not humble opinion) here (pics = links):

Image Image

I left out the King's Castle 6080 and His Mountain Fortress 6081 because they are built upon plates that have a different level than the smaller sets (baseplates versus 1/3 plates), and I didn't combine black and grey walls because I simply don't like that.

Bye
Jojo

jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

That looks good Jojo. I prefer the way the second one is set out though, it looks nice with the BFF at the back.
Also, I liked your yellow module in your folder. Looked very big and a nice shape.
If I can get some more of these older sets I will try join them up, it looks better then having them displayed by themselves.

Jon.

Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Jojo wrote:Hello!
You can take a look at those modular sets connected in a reasonable way (in my not humble opinion) here (pics = links):

Image Image

I left out the King's Castle 6080 and His Mountain Fortress 6081 because they are built upon plates that have a different level than the smaller sets (baseplates versus 1/3 plates), and I didn't combine black and grey walls because I simply don't like that.

Bye
Jojo

The King's Castle connects alright actually, though it is omewhat uneven, but the mountain fortress is weird...
pwnage
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

jon_p wrote:I just built up my copy of 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost, which I won from ebay.
It is quite a fun little set and I really like the knight that comes with it.
But what I would like to know is, on each side of the small door bit, there is one of these (one of which has a technic pin in)
I was just wondering, does this mean that the older castle sets joined up to form a larger layout or something? Are there other sets which are like this?
Thanks,

Jon.
You had luck
I actually bought this set but the (bleep, probably) never sent me the (bleeping) thing. Who was the ebay member you bought it from?
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"