8779 - Best castle set ever!!!

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Jojo wrote:
Emperor James wrote:Actually, it is kind of fun and addictive to make the knights crash together. (...) But its got to count for something if you can sit there and launch them together, for, like, an hour. :D :D
That's exactly the point: It's fun for, like, an hour. And after that hour the knights are supposed to drive home or what? What's a knight worth if he doesn't have a horse? TLC simply overemphasizes the short-term playvalue and their own simplistic story lines rather than to offer figs and parts for free building and playing that's based on the child's (or AFOL's) own imagination.
Just to build on this a bit: Lego has lost its original focus. It current tends to zero in on initial play value. Perhaps there is a greater fun in playing with this set than with 6066. It might be more fun. But once the initial thrill of the newness wears off, what then?

In old sets of this size, you had two alternatives. 1) In an older set, say 6066, you had extended play value. The initial entertainment of smashing two knights together may have faded, but you were given enough figs and such that you could have numerous stories with the original set. Stories/games that were based on the child's imagination. For instance, the peasant in the set could be in love with the princess, and wins her hand by taking the place of the fallen knight in battle. You actually had enough figs to have a full fight, not just a duel or joust.

2) In old sets you could actually build good alternative models, and lots of them, using only the pieces that came with the set, and your own imagination. I'm not saying that this is IMPOSSIBLE with this set, but it is WAY more of a challenge, and for a kid, not so likely to happen.

Lego has, to a large extent, lost the ability to create sets that can tell ENDLESS stories (with the possible exception of the REALLY big ones). More importantly, Lego has lost the ability to give you enough pieces in a set to make thousands of other models. The pieces you get today are so few (because of their size), and so useless (because of their set function), that making an alternative model using JUST the pieces in the set is really difficult.

I think it would be almost impossible to make an alternative model for this set that was comparable in size, and looked like a professional model, using only the pieces in this set.
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

Its the first KK2 set I got, and I'm not really happy with it...
The new wall piece is horrible! I thought I could get some old ones and put them window against window to create a long good wall, but that part is useless...
But you got to love KK2 for one reason... After all those Euro- armourless sets we finnaly got it back!
Altough it makes me feel like I'm buying warhammer stuff (I have to paint it) I am happy I get a chance to get many euro armours.
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I got the set too... I found I had a lotta fun smashing the two knights together also.

Its great to play with but that doesnt change the fact that the sent design is ridiculous.

....my vladek attack kit hasn't come yet.
It's a Christmas Miracle!