Quick run of Lego Castle 2013- to be discontinued this year

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Purple Wolf
Hero
Hero

Re: Quick run of Lego Castle 2013- to be discontinued this y

Post by Purple Wolf »

I have split feelings about it. On on side I'm sad because I really liked the figs and would love to get more. While on the other side this theme wasn't as good as previous ones and Lego might take it's time to come out with a new a better line of castle.

Purple Wolf :)
There's always room for dessert.
brickshelf
"Trolls exist! They steal your socks but only the left ones whats with that?"
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Bummed we again got no large castle for the draogn knights.
Domino Gloria!
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

timber_wolf899 wrote:Bummed we again got no large castle for the draogn knights.
Purple Wolf wrote:I have split feelings about it. On on side I'm sad because I really liked the figs and would love to get more. While on the other side this theme wasn't as good as previous ones and Lego might take it's time to come out with a new a better line of castle.

Even if there isn't another wave of sets (which there could be, albeit a smaller one) there is still the chance of other items eg chess sets, battle packs, or a large set like the Kingdom's joust (though I think that unlikely as this Castle wave has seem to be aimed at the younger end).

As for LOTR, it may have only been planned as a two wave thing to accompany the two Hobbit films (before the film was split into three). This may mean they have no plans for another lot of LOTR, or it may explain why there is a bit of lack of information as it wasn't in their original plan.
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
jman44
Laborer

Post by jman44 »

OverLoad wrote:I sure hope it's not ending! Unfortunately, the only Dark Age I've ever had wholly encompassed the Fantasy Era castle line, which means I'm playing catch up in the realms of factions! I do quite like the red dragons (or as I call them, Wyverns just for the sake of convenience), and I do hope that the supposed discontinuation is nothing more than a misunderstanding/rumor.

Only time will tell. :spin:
I know the feels... My reintroduction into Lego from when I was a child happened to be at the very end of the Kingdoms line so I too have been trying to play catch up. I didn't think I would personally like the new castle but they've really grown on me and I look forward to getting more in the near future. :D but I think it's alright that they're discontinuing it because it could open the doors to newer, maybe more original factions. They'll still be in stock for a while so there is time :)
timber_wolf899 wrote:Bummed we again got no large castle for the draogn knights.
Like Andhe said, they might be releasing a couple this summer and haven't told us yet. Im not sure what kind of set it could be though, as I feel they didn't really come out with much variation of figs for a chess set.
andhe wrote:
Purple Wolf wrote:I have split feelings about it. On on side I'm sad because I really liked the figs and would love to get more. While on the other side this theme wasn't as good as previous ones and Lego might take it's time to come out with a new a better line of castle.

Even if there isn't another wave of sets (which there could be, albeit a smaller one) there is still the chance of other items eg chess sets, battle packs, or a large set like the Kingdom's joust (though I think that unlikely as this Castle wave has seem to be aimed at the younger end).

As for LOTR, it may have only been planned as a two wave thing to accompany the two Hobbit films (before the film was split into three). This may mean they have no plans for another lot of LOTR, or it may explain why there is a bit of lack of information as it wasn't in their original plan.
Hmmm I thought the Hobbit was always going to be a 3 part series/trilogy from the get-go..? I may be wrong but Im pretty sure thats what the plans were. Im sure we'll be seeing a third Hobbit wave for the final installment of the movie as they probably sell well around Christmas time with the movie out and everything. Not sure on how well the LoTR sets do though.

Just putting this out there but after thinking about it, I believe we might actually see a jousting/tournament style set of the Castle line come out this summer. But instead of the "Lions vs Dragons" face off, it might be more like the Kingdoms joust set which introduced an updated Classic faction against one of the Kingdoms factions. My reasoning behind this is that since they are discontinuing the current Castle line (even if they release another couple this summer, either way it is in fact ending) it could give the potential for a newer Castle series in the summer of 2015 which will feature updated Classic factions. One of those factions could be the updated Black Falcons we saw in the Kingdoms Joust and then this summer could show off another updated Classic faction in some form of set, maybe Wolfpack or something else to go up against the Black Falcons. It would make sense though because by summer 2015, the Hobbit sets would have finished up along with the LoTR sets as their licenses end next year (I know we dont know if they plan on extending those or not but Im basing it off what we know now) so there will no longer be two castle/medieval/fantasy lines going on, leaving room for a much more well thought out series like Kingdoms but with the updated Classic factions that were "previewed" in the past sets. So this current one I believe is the placeholder line for a much better one next year :)
mpoh98
Justiciar

Post by mpoh98 »

andhe wrote: As for LOTR, it may have only been planned as a two wave thing to accompany the two Hobbit films (before the film was split into three). This may mean they have no plans for another lot of LOTR, or it may explain why there is a bit of lack of information as it wasn't in their original plan.
I still think they will make another 3rd hobbit set line for the 3rd movie. It makes sense, as they haven't released any sets that we haven't seen already. I would agree if they released sets that weren't from the Desolation, but were supposed to be for just 2 films. I think they will release sets again for this last movie, and if they are, I am looking forward to them! :D
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/75100]Mocpages[/url], [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92459453@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Support [url=https://ideas.lego.com/projects/74333]Huckleberry Finn[/url] on Lego Ideas!
Philippians 4:13
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

The third hobbit line has been confirmed at (recent) toy shows. We know there is a third hobbit line. It's the LOTR that we are unsure about.
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
TeufelHund
Villein

Post by TeufelHund »

SSchmidt wrote:The third hobbit line has been confirmed at (recent) toy shows. We know there is a third hobbit line. It's the LOTR that we are unsure about.
It's possible only 2 LOTOR waves were planned to build hype/fill in the gap between the 2 Hobbit movies initially planned before Peter Jackson made the "creative" decision to expand the series into 3 films.

Of course, that doesn't explain why we ended up with a Pirate Ship and a set with The Mouth of Sauron which didn't even appear in the theatrical cut of the LOTOR films and no Balrog, Faromir, Eowyn,Witch King/Fell Beast, Gondor soldiers etc that most fans would probably want.

Castle 2013 is fairly bland and childish. Inoffensive enough but I won't be shedding any tears if it disappears.
jman44
Laborer

Post by jman44 »

SSchmidt wrote:The third hobbit line has been confirmed at (recent) toy shows. We know there is a third hobbit line. It's the LOTR that we are unsure about.
This is true.

TeufelHund wrote:
It's possible only 2 LOTOR waves were planned to build hype/fill in the gap between the 2 Hobbit movies initially planned before Peter Jackson made the "creative" decision to expand the series into 3 films.

Of course, that doesn't explain why we ended up with a Pirate Ship and a set with The Mouth of Sauron which didn't even appear in the theatrical cut of the LOTOR films and no Balrog, Faromir, Eowyn,Witch King/Fell Beast, Gondor soldiers etc that most fans would probably want.

Castle 2013 is fairly bland and childish. Inoffensive enough but I won't be shedding any tears if it disappears.
Yeah that is true and with the last wave of LoTR sets barely making any sense, I can't say Im hoping for more. I am excited for the new hobbit sets though as those have been fun to collect and actually follow the movies :tasty:

I'm not sad about Castle ending either, Im gonna pick up more to give myself a decent army of both but thats about it :)
royalbrickcustoms
Gentleman

Post by royalbrickcustoms »

I sure hope it's not ending, either. I love the new Dragon Knights! :)
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
~Phil. 4:13

[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=RBCustoms]Royal Brick Customs Shop (Bricklink)[/url]
jman44
Laborer

Post by jman44 »

royalbrickcustoms wrote:I sure hope it's not ending, either. I love the new Dragon Knights! :)
I do like the new dragon knights too, the red and black combo is one that hasn't been seen in a long time. I am really liking the quality of the prints this time around so if they released some peasant/civilian figs with the same level of prints that would be pretty sweet :)
andhe
Barber-Surgeon

Post by andhe »

jman44 wrote: Hmmm I thought the Hobbit was always going to be a 3 part series/trilogy from the get-go..? I may be wrong but Im pretty sure thats what the plans were. Im sure we'll be seeing a third Hobbit wave for the final installment of the movie as they probably sell well around Christmas time with the movie out and everything. Not sure on how well the LoTR sets do though.
Nope. The plan was originally for 2 Hobbit films (right at the beginning I think it was possibly just 1). This is why 'Escape from Mirkwood Spiders' the http://brickset.com/sets/79001-1/Escape ... od-Spiders had to re-branded as a 'preview' set. This scene was originally going to be in the first movie (and subsequently the first wave of Hobbit sets) but when it became 3 movies, this scene was bumped into the 2nd movie. Trust me. As for a 3rd wave of LOTR, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. They may have held something back to coincide with the 3rd Hobbit release.

In other Castle related news, someone on the Brickset forums has said their local lego store (Mclean, VA) has mentioned that there will be two Castle battlepacks released soon, one for each faction. They will be a similar set up to the Kingdoms ones (4-5 figs, varied armour and accessories).
Less talking, more MOCing.

https://www.instagram.com/classicstylecastle/
Purple Wolf
Hero
Hero

Post by Purple Wolf »

andhe wrote:In other Castle related news, someone on the Brickset forums has said their local lego store (Mclean, VA) has mentioned that there will be two Castle battlepacks released soon, one for each faction. They will be a similar set up to the Kingdoms ones (4-5 figs, varied armour and accessories).
Okay if that is true that will be awesome I've been wanting some for a long time, but how reliable is this information?

There's always room for dessert.
brickshelf
"Trolls exist! They steal your socks but only the left ones whats with that?"
jman44
Laborer

Post by jman44 »

andhe wrote: Nope. The plan was originally for 2 Hobbit films (right at the beginning I think it was possibly just 1). This is why 'Escape from Mirkwood Spiders' the http://brickset.com/sets/79001-1/Escape ... od-Spiders had to re-branded as a 'preview' set. This scene was originally going to be in the first movie (and subsequently the first wave of Hobbit sets) but when it became 3 movies, this scene was bumped into the 2nd movie. Trust me. As for a 3rd wave of LOTR, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. They may have held something back to coincide with the 3rd Hobbit release.

In other Castle related news, someone on the Brickset forums has said their local lego store (Mclean, VA) has mentioned that there will be two Castle battlepacks released soon, one for each faction. They will be a similar set up to the Kingdoms ones (4-5 figs, varied armour and accessories).
Ahhh alright, no I trust you and I remember now about being confused why we saw sets that weren't apart of the movie. It all makes sense now.... Hmmm this is interesting news, if true meaning that we will most likely be seeing a final set or two to see the line off. My predictions could still hold true :twisted:
universaldirect333

Post by universaldirect333 »

but how reliable is this information?
jman44
Laborer

Post by jman44 »

universaldirect333 wrote:but how reliable is this information?
Which information are you referring to?