LEGO Club Magazine: Interview with KK2 Designers

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

LEGO Club Magazine: Interview with KK2 Designers

Post by architect »

Here is a transcript of the interview by two LEGO product designers who worked on Knight's Kingdom 2. It is on page 7 of the LEGO Club Magazine.
Meet the Designers!

Cecilia W and Christian F-B have been working on the new LEGO Knight's Kingdom line of action figures and playsets. Cecilia created the 8778 Border Ambush, and Christian designed the 8779 Grand Tournament. (You may recognize them as the models used to make our Power Knights!)

What's your favorite part of Knight's Kingdom?

Christian: The style and posability of the large action figures.

Cecilia: We've put cool functions and play features into every model, so nothing is static or dull. Everything has plenty of action and fun!

Do you have a favorite model?

Cecilia: I can't pick just one. I love how the Castle of Morcia changes from good to bad, the Grand Tournament's joust launchers, chucking the boulder in the Border Ambush, and of course having a good sword fight with the big knights!

Christian: The Grand Tournament, because I designed it exactly how I wanted it!

What do you like most about the model you designed?

Cecilia: I love all the different play features: firing the boulder, crossing the bridge, the trap door that you have to avoid or try to push the Shadow Knight into. It's not a huge model, but there's plenty of play packed into it!

Christian: I like the fact that it's just as much fun to play with by yourself as it is with two people!

(Psst! Can you share any secrets about your model?)

Christian: The colored bricks in front of the King's throne swivel to keep score of the jousts between Vladek and Jayko.
Last edited by architect on Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Hmm....

They seem very enthusiastic. How old are they? They sound much too young to be designing official sets.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

My guess is that they are mid 20's to mid 30's. You have to remember that Club Magazines are a bit too liberal with their use of exclamation points :wink: You would think they have never heard of a period.

Ben E.
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

I never thought I would ever hear the names of the fools who thought that "horses on wheels" would be a good idea...
The Tennis Ball Kid
Laborer

Post by The Tennis Ball Kid »

There you go, it's all about play features. Were they designing LEGO sets, or Power Ranger action figures?

Christian said:

:roll: Save us!

Where are the set designers from the '80's anyway? Dead? Imprisoned in the darkest lairs of Legoland and being tortured till they promise to never, never, make anything that even closely resembles a castle? Where? TELL ME!
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Great, I read that article and laughed. I really hate those people.

In fact they are numbers 46 and 47 on the top 100 people I hate list.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Gumby
Steward

Re: LEGO Club Magazine: Interview with KK2 Designers

Post by Gumby »

Meet the Designers!

Do you have a favorite model?

:evil:

Haha, this posting is gonna turn into a "Bash Christian and Cecilia" thread.

*sigh*

-Bryan
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

What do you like most about the model you designed?

Christian: I like the fact that it's just as much fun to play with by yourself as it is with two people!
I didn't know destroying your LEGO is considered fun.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I read that article and felt positively ill. They speak of the KKII line as if the actual sets were enjoyable. The most they can do is provide a cheap and soon-lost thrill. Then what? You have nothing to go from there - just ugly premolds, but that has been discussed before. Those sets are not worth a penny of my hard earned money.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Thanks, Ben, for providing that! -

OK, names are in my black pocketbook. Now for the guys who decided on the change of the grey and brown....

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

[quote="Jojo"]Hello!

Thanks, Ben, for providing that! -

OK, names are in my black pocketbook. Now for the guys who decided on the change of the grey and brown....

Bye
Jojo

[quote]
Wow...that guy looks like he could kill my executioner...

Well to everyone else: Nothing will come of hate...and violence will solve nothing...

EDIT: This post has not been edited in any way...
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Christian you are now my new role model, you are the next Da Vinci, really a head of your time. My only regret is that I can't take you back in a time machine to medieval times so you can "invent the wheel" and offer them to joust and weird log, horse shapes with wheels (actually it's even economic you don't have to feed the log with hay):evil:
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

AHRGG!!!

Reading this actually hurts!

"Cecilia: I can't pick just one. I love how the Castle of Morcia changes from good to bad, the Grand Tournament's joust launchers, chucking the boulder in the Border Ambush, and of course having a good sword fight with the big knights!"

That sounds like a real bad case of "Let-the boss-put-words-in-your-mouth-to-endorse-the-product"!

Does the magazine provide some sort of adress or phone number to these people?':x'

-joel (to angry right now)
I'm back, and so is Castle!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Words escape me, I am dumbfounded perhaps working with all that shiney new ABS has melted their brains. I don't know what else to say... we need a emoticon for throwing up since reading this made me sick.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Emperor James wrote:1ego(ha Sava!) Magazine
I think it only worked when you write Lego with an s at the end, as opposed to Lego, uncapitalized. And it doesn't seem to be working the same no anyway.
Yeah, this article kind of annoyed me. Designs like that wouldn't get a second glance (maybe not even a click on the thumbnail) from most people on Brickshelf, yet these people not only got paid to build them, but now they're bragging about their crappy designs. Their emphasis on playability really has no merit. Older sets were playable too, but also looked nice and had great alternate models.
Last edited by doctorsparkles on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess