LEGO Club Magazine: Interview with KK2 Designers

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jordan
Gong Farmer

*PUKE*

Post by Jordan »

All lego is doing is making the little 4 year olds happy. I totally agree with you guys but look at it this way- would lego want to listen to grown up men obsessed with legos. If is was a little kiddie i'd rather have classic (though) :roll: . I dont know about you guys but i like KK1 better. For reasons like those KK1 bullet helmets were historially accurate to the English from the 10000-13000.
Castl3 rul3s
Sir Vincent
Steward

Re: *PUKE*

Post by Sir Vincent »

Jordan wrote:All lego is doing is making the little 4 year olds happy. I totally agree with you guys but look at it this way- would lego want to listen to grown up men obsessed with legos. If is was a little kiddie i'd rather have classic (though) :roll: . I dont know about you guys but i like KK1 better. For reasons like those KK1 bullet helmets were historially accurate to the English from the 10000-13000.
Hooray...someone who agrees with me that the new Royal Knights were cool... :D :P
Emperor James
Steward

Re: *PUKE*

Post by Emperor James »

Jordan wrote:All lego is doing is making the little 4 year olds happy. I totally agree with you guys but look at it this way- would lego want to listen to grown up men obsessed with legos. If is was a little kiddie i'd rather have classic (though) :roll: . I dont know about you guys but i like KK1 better. For reasons like those KK1 bullet helmets were historially accurate to the English from the 10000-13000.
If I wa a four year old, Iwouldn't want KK2. See, KK2 is bad even for what it is. They SHOULD listen to old men obsessed with LEGO because they are making rainbow knights. And, I also like KK1 better because of accuracy, but many prefer 2. But, I can safely say that none of the KK1 helmets will be used in the distant future. That would be KK2 :wink: If you mean 1000 to 1300, I shall ask which one you mean. The bullet helmet (black) falls into that era and beyond, but the more common in KK1 brim helmet(dk gray) is from about 1200 to 1600, maybe a bit earlier.
pwnage
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

:P :shock: How insane are these two people??!!??!! "I like the sets because they're not dull" They're right about that. That green knight and baby blue one really bright and they hurt my eyes. Well in that case everything in the KK2 hurts my eyes!! These people are sooooooo dumb. Cant TLC find someone better to design their sets? :evil: :P

I'm felling really weird right now
Space rocks.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

[quote="forester3291 These people are sooooooo dumb. Cant TLC find someone better to design their sets? :evil: :P
[/quote]

OK please dont get on th defenseive but I really don't think name calling is really needful, I mean I totally agree that KK2 isint what we all were really looking for in a new castle line, but these guys are just doing what their job is: designing sets their boss wants. so please I dont think it does any good to be calling names at people who probly wont ever be reading this or be able to defend themselves.

A hope your not offended,
Dave
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

Now now, I can understand everyone getting ruffled up. Most of you who have read my posts know that im a big defender of KK2... well maybe not defender as a guy who is trying to turn these sets around.

I agree they could use help with villagers, soldiers, archers and definately more shadowknights, but lets atl east be thankful Castle is still around.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi

I've devoted lots of time to make ways to incorporate KK2 into a real working caslte set as far as soldiers/knights go. So there is still hope in this line. We just need to have faith, besides didn't TLC say that they were going to go back to basics soon? IF that's true then the castle line can only get better. The only thing I can do is try and make them better for myself and share that to others and reply to every set I buy and make the proper comments, not overly bashing or trying to kill the designers.

This comment is really going to kill people, but the new colors are growing one me (at least the drk.gray and bley) but thats probably because my source of orginal gray dwindled back some and knowing it won't be more readily available is slightly a deterrant[/url]
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Draygen wrote:besides didn't TLC say that they were going to go back to basics soon? IF that's true then the castle line can only get better.
TLC considers their KK2 theme as "back to basics". In fact it's backer to basic than most previous Castle lines. At least the horses in the 8779 Tournament set are built, not premolded... Well, "horses"... *cough cough*

Bye
Jojo

wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Uttering threats even sarcastically can be pretty dangerous in today's political climate. In fact unless you specifficly state that your threat that you did not mean it to be taken literally, a written threat is a punishable offense in Canada. Verbal threats are even touchier. Some of the laws are quite specific, for example, if you were to say " I hope you die." that would be a threat according to Canadian law. Now if you were to say "I hope you die from cancer." while rude, it would not be a threat according to the law.

Back on Topic

The KKII set design is terrible, it is even more shocking to hear that the designers actually think they are great. I wish they could see how poorly these sets match up with the classic sets we all remember. The designers need to look at those old designs and create something from them that would play well with todays kids. A 6060 type joust with Jellybeans and KKII style colors would have made AFOLs a little happier. It would also have had the flash and colors TLC wanted to market the set to kids.

The idea of KKII probably came from the higher ups, but what the dsigners did with those ideas is what was so disappointing.

Hopefully the Vladek's Attack Kit is more indicative of the direction TLC plans to take the rest of the line. I have a feeling KKII will be around for a while.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Silent Arrow
Villein

Post by Silent Arrow »

I read all these posts in this topic, and I agree with all of you who believe that it isn't the designers' fault that nowadays the Lego sets are terrible. The designers are not let to do their job alone.... The financial directors and the marketing policy bound the inspirations of the designers. Perhaps Lego believes that the new sets achieve better sales all around the world in relation to the years 1987 - 1992. (I don't believe this.... I have a collection of 10.000 bricks which is bought from only one shop during the years 1989 - 1993... The owner of this shop has stopped selling Lego because of their terrible design since 1995 (!!!) as he told me recently....).....
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Silent Arrow wrote:I read all these posts in this topic, and I agree with all of you who believe that it isn't the designers' fault that nowadays the Lego sets are terrible. The designers are not let to do their job alone.... The financial directors and the marketing policy bound the inspirations of the designers. Perhaps Lego believes that the new sets achieve better sales all around the world in relation to the years 1987 - 1992. (I don't believe this.... I have a collection of 10.000 bricks which is bought from only one shop during the years 1989 - 1993... The owner of this shop has stopped selling Lego because of their terrible design since 1995 (!!!) as he told me recently....).....
Well, I think that Lego can't put many pieces beacause ABS is getting expensive.
They would lost more money then win.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Luís wrote: Well, I think that Lego can't put many pieces beacause ABS is getting expensive.
They would lost more money then win.
The price of ABS has nothing or very little to do with it. It is really cheap, what raises costs is labor, advertisement, and bionicle stuff.
pwnage
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

rogue27 wrote:It's somewhat amusing how Jake McKee also told us that the new castle sets aren't "dull" like the old ones.
lol. He was right though. According to Dictionary.com, one meaning of the word 'dull' is "Not bright or vivid." The old sets were dull. The new ones certainly are not "dull." They are quite bright or vivid, actually. :lol:

Cm2
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

I am locking this thread. It has gotten downright violent agaisnt these two KK2 designers, and now it is getting way off-topic with more TLC bashing and the price of ABS.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].