Weekly Set Review: Knight's Catapult

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Knight's Catapult

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 4816 Knight’s Catapult.

Knight’s Catapult, released in 2000, was the only siege weapon for King Leo's Knight's Kingdom. This mobile catapult comes with one knight, an archer, stone shot, and various accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

When I came out of my Dark Age in 2002, this was the only one of the four "chome part" sets that was still available.

I bought one of them.

I hated the catapult arm / ice cream scooper, and I didn't understand why there was a blue roof peak on top.

I thought the Princess Storm minifig was pretty cool (mostly the face), while the other minifig was merely okay.

I don't really care for those big chrome swords, so that didn't impress me.

I think this was $5, and I guess it's pretty nice to get 2 minifigs and a catapult that isn't tiny for $5. On the other hand, it is not a pretty catapult. It uses an apparently random assortment of colors, and I was completely unimpressed with the finished product.

I wish I bought a couple more for the princess storm heads, but the fact that it's the only part I wanted is the exact reason why I did not.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This set is OK for parts. Light grey 75° slopes and 4×10 bricks are useful as well as dark grey arches and slopes. But as a model... Who would build a rolling catapult of stone? And why they attached those blue peaks to all and everything is beyond my imagination.

Bye
Jojo

Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

I have it, and I love it.
I like especially the crome sword, the visor and the soldier torso.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

I never actually got this set, and I'm sure it was ok for $5. The minfigs are good, and there is a nice selection of parts.
But, the colours are all wrong. They don't work well together, grey.. tan.. brown, black and blue? For such a small set this has too many colours. Also, the catapult piece isn't one of my favourite pieces.
Maybe a nice little set to play with, but overall I don't really like it.

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
TheBohrok
Artisan

Post by TheBohrok »

This set has some good play value and some good piece assortment. The figures are probably the best part of this set; but the design of the catapult is not the best with all the colors. The catapult works really well and the helmet visor is great (I took it and used it on an older castle set that I had lost the piece to).
With some more sets like a castle this is overall a great playset.
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

it's a pretty good set, it could use another knight or something, the peices are ok. I only bought three of them from S@H. So I guess it's a good set :p

LR
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Not an impressive model, but hey, it has two really cool figs, a visored helmet, and a small but not useless assortment of parts.
pwnage
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

As others have said: Why, why, why, why does the catapult have a roof peak on top? I just don't get it!
This set was good for a parts pack. I has happy to have the Princess figure, the solider, those spoked wheels and the Knight's Kingdom flag. Aside from that, this set wasn't all that great. I seem to remember that it was just released as part of a 'chrome accessory' line. When you bought all three (four?) you had a completely chrome-clad knight.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Not my favorite catapult, neither for its design or colors or even choice of parts. But it works as such, decent for parts, and has two decent figs all for a good price (compare Vladek Encounter at $9 to this at $5). I ended up with a dozen or so when it hit $2 locally.

I'll give it 6/10.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

Sorry if I'm going off topic a little but..
doctorsparkles wrote:I seem to remember that it was just released as part of a 'chrome accessory' line. When you bought all three (four?) you had a completely chrome-clad knight.
Does anybody know what the other sets in this little line were? I would be interested to know.

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Hmm, let's see...

The sword from this one (4816) the armor from 4817, the helmet from 4818 and my favorite, the shield from 4819.

As for this set, the figs look very nice, but the catapult, why is it made out of stone? Why?

_joel
I'm back, and so is Castle!
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Female knight... good idea

I wasn't ever a fan of the KK1. That is all i have to say :oops:
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

As every set under 40 bricks I can only value for the bricks and minifigs. So you get there a nice female minifig that was only available in 6098, the black visor is very usefull, you get a brown crossbowwhich is nice, the flag is great. So overall very usefull parts in a small set. Te catapult itself look like crap though and I have no idea why they keep sticking this blue roof piece everywhere. I mean it can be much more usefull in red or black and with the 75 degrees corner slops.

Overall nice set for parts only.
Final score 9/10 for a small set