Weekly Set Review: Knight's Catapult

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jim
Apprentice

Post by Jim »

With 2 minifigs and a movable, working catapult, I'd give it good playability marks. As a parts set, its great, especially for the cost. As far as design goes, though, its terrible. The catapult arm stuck on the side: awful, and as others have said, its a goofy collection of colors.

The good outweighs the bad in this set, so I'd give it an 8/10.

jimd
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

This was the one chrome parts set I didn't get, and I wish I had. Not a great set, but fine for 5$.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

I think its funny its apart of the "chrome" set when Chrome swords weren't exactly rare, but the rest of the chrome set WAS AMAZING! I wish I was outta my dark age enough to have gotten at least 4 sets of each. I always liked the armored pants and the leather pants and the female warrior was a great idea. Women were too passive so far in the castle series, nice to see one kick butt.

As for the rest.. yeah blue roof stupid and could've done better, but still a nice little item
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

My youngest brother got this for Christmas 2001. I was crushed when I couldn't find one in the aftermath for myself. The set is nothing great, but it came with a Princess Storm, and not everyone could shell out the cash for a King Leo's Castle.

Parts: 6/10
Playability: 5/10
Figs/Accessories: 8.5/10
Design (then): 6/10
Design (now): 6.5/10

Overall score:6.4/10
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

One of my few true catapults that are in 100% true form, like that odd dragon defender. Well it is a fun set, and it was a easy to get troops with rather diminutive a allowance, 3.00 a week for mowing the yard, taking out the trash, and sweeping the house every week! 8/10, cheaper than that kk2 stationary catapult.
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

I was unable to find a toy retailer in Sydney that sold the chrome series KK1 sets so I needed to buy these from bricklink.
The KK1 sets are my favorite set series. The idea of needing to collect 4 sets to create a special chrome knight was a good ideal of Lego and added to the appeal of this set that otherwise with the exception of the cheap source of Princess Storm knight figure and black helmet and visor contained no collectable parts for me. (Although I couldn't seem to get enough Knights Kingdom Knights; was he’s name Richard?)

This type of inter-compatibility should be more common in the castle range it is another extension of the alternative set design.

I think that this set was the neither the worst nor the best of the 4 in the series, it does not stand alone as a great set for me; stone colours are not the best choice for a catapults.
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

i was good to put a female knight in it because no of the sets i think had a female knight i got all of the chrome sets to make that stuiped guy on thats dragon it showed on the box if u got them all
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

This is one of the few sets that I have that I have not taken it apart for something else. I like the design of the catapault and having two figures is nice. I was/am a huge fan of the Princess Storm mini fig so of couse I bought this one as well as King Leo's Castle.

I give it a 6/10. It is not the end all to end all of castle sets, but it is not horrible. The fact that it has the Princess Storm mini figure sets it slightly above average for me.
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Ahh, what a wonderful set. I got this set for my birthday when it came out, and then went and bough two more on sale.

Pros

Great minifigs.

Decent catapult.

Fair price.

Cons

The wheels were to carraige wheels, instead of the better solid ones.

Overall

9/10

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

As a set it looks rather silly as people have mentioned before but I think it's got great parts, and it's really good for the price.
Walruslord
Serf

Post by Walruslord »

Best regular soldier minifigs since the scale mail guys. But, female knights are stupid, and the torso is worthless otherwise.

I'd like to see if lego could make a castle lineup without a catapult set, but their reading of the numbers says that flingy stuff sells, so they have to do what they have to do I guess :?
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

Walruslord wrote:But, female knights are stupid, and the torso is worthless otherwise.
Really you don't like them? I find these torsos as an excellent source for diversification in a male predominant army. It is always nice to have some diversity. I use these torsos as special guards for my king.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Nice selection of castle building parts. Slopes and arches. Also a nice way to get the princess, rather than the $100 set. And a generic soldier too.

The catapult model is silly though. And the chrome weapon is pretty worthless, since we've got hundreds of the already...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Pikeman
Freeman

Post by Pikeman »

A decent set that i got when it first came out. The catapult is a little silly but the figures are great. The soldier is one of my favorites. I got all but one of the chrome parts (shield) and about 10 of the chrome swords.
All in all a decent set 6/10
I came, I saw, I built
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

I NEVER liked the kk1 I think it was the end of good lego and the beginning of lego that had huge parts and you culdnt do much with you culdnt build anything nice and if you could there would be so many extra parts that you didn't have any use for

Ísland er góður staður