Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Knight's Kingdom: Nominated for Ultimate Toy Awards

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

Postby kor » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:07 pm

I've tried to like MB. Even bought a few sets and tried to find some joy in them. Not much there to like. The only thing I thoght was cool were the weapons, a few of them. The pieces just "feel" cheap and the limited creativity drives me crazy. I dont like, for the most part, KK2 but anything is better than the low quality stuff that the competators are putting out. Speaking of crap, anyone tried bestlock?
User avatar
kor
Peasant
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:43 pm
Location: Ohio,USA

Re: Knight's Kingdom: Nominated for Ultimate Toy Awards

Postby Norro » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:50 pm

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

But KK2,

That's tooooo far!

Nathnan
User avatar
Norro
Councilor
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Ireland

Postby Sir Kohran » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:55 am

I'm voting for KK2, not because of 'loyalty to the Brick', not because I don't want MB to win, but because I actually like KK2 for what it is. Yes, you guys can laugh as much as you want, but I've seen the sets, and I think that they deserve something special. Whilst they'll never capture the original magic of the old castles, it's still a good line in my view.
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Postby DarkMage » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:06 am

I voted for KKII because A) as a LEGO fan I reckon LEGO should win, and B) because I agree with SKM from BZPower, I don't think KKII is that bad.
All good things must end...except Lego
DarkMage
Villein
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:02 am
Location: Australia

Postby Sir Kohran » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:36 am

Yeah, I think KK2 is worth voting for, if you're a true Castle fan, and want to encourage Lego to make more medieval products.
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Postby lemon_squeezer2 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:26 pm

SKM from BZPower wrote:Yeah, I think KK2 is worth voting for, if you're a true Castle fan, and want to encourage Lego to make more medieval products.


I have to say your statement is vague enough to make me almost agree with you. If you are a true castle fan, collecting every lego castle set, and one would certainly encourage TLC to continue this old standby.

However, I am sorely disappointed with the line. I have not bought a single set from it, and I probably never will. Overall, the designs stink - they are perhaps redeemed from worthless due to the siege tower that was released a month ago. Even then, when you compare them to the designs of the "golden age of castle - some 10-20 years ago, they make me sick.

Lego could have done a better job. They do have good designers there. However, as others have said in previous threads, when it comes to castle, the Lego group had gotten it into their heads that "playability" and "creativity" can't be mixed. Thus you see sets with great "creativity" - such as their designer sets, and then you see others that are directed to "playability" - I would think that lines such as Bionicle are meant for that.

I apologize for the rant, just my 2 cents here.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
User avatar
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: The "Other" Academy

Postby Sir Kohran » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:59 pm

lemon_squeezer2 wrote:
SKM from BZPower wrote:Yeah, I think KK2 is worth voting for, if you're a true Castle fan, and want to encourage Lego to make more medieval products.


I have to say your statement is vague enough to make me almost agree with you. If you are a true castle fan, collecting every lego castle set, and one would certainly encourage TLC to continue this old standby.

However, I am sorely disappointed with the line. I have not bought a single set from it, and I probably never will. Overall, the designs stink - they are perhaps redeemed from worthless due to the siege tower that was released a month ago. Even then, when you compare them to the designs of the "golden age of castle - some 10-20 years ago, they make me sick.

Lego could have done a better job. They do have good designers there. However, as others have said in previous threads, when it comes to castle, the Lego group had gotten it into their heads that "playability" and "creativity" can't be mixed. Thus you see sets with great "creativity" - such as their designer sets, and then you see others that are directed to "playability" - I would think that lines such as Bionicle are meant for that.

I apologize for the rant, just my 2 cents here.


That was quite well written, and I compliment you for being able to disagree with someone, whilst keeping away from flaming. That's not something you see much of on internet boards nowadays.

Anyways, I agree with you when you say that you can't compare KK2 to the Castle sets about a decade ago. It's not something you can compare.

But you've also got to remember that the KK2 line is still very new, and TLC is still experimenting with KK2, and believe it or not, they are learning from their mistakes. Remember the grand tournament set that came out a few months ago? The set with cars for horses, and lances that can't even hit the opponent? It was rubbish in my opinion.
But just a month ago, TLC released the Vladek Attack Kit, which is far more superior, you said it yourself. TLC is making better KK2 sets, and if they keep going in the right direction, perhaps the line could somehow resemble the golden days of the 80's and earlier 90's Castle.
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Postby Jojo » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:31 pm

Hello!

SKM from BZPower wrote:That was quite well written, and I compliment you for being able to disagree with someone, whilst keeping away from flaming. That's not something you see much of on internet boards nowadays.

Perhaps you are reading the wrong boards? ;)
However, you are right. One should be able to discuss things without taking personal injuries from opponent opinions.


But you've also got to remember that the KK2 line is still very new, and TLC is still experimenting with KK2, and believe it or not, they are learning from their mistakes.

It's not impossible that they learn from previous mistakes. The new Hary Potter sets are - for instance - way better models than the original HP sets. Maybe they have learnt there.


But just a month ago, TLC released the Vladek Attack Kit, which is far more superior, you said it yourself. TLC is making better KK2 sets, and if they keep going in the right direction, perhaps the line could somehow resemble the golden days of the 80's and earlier 90's Castle.

Hm. I really don't want to steal your illusions but they already announced the Vladek Attack kit on the back side of the same catalogue that had the "original" Knights' Kingdmom Two sets. So they didn't learn from our rantings about the rubbish joust set but made it before. It's for you to decide if that's a good or a bad sign :)

Anyway, hope dies last.


Bye
Jojo

Image
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
User avatar
Jojo
Master
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:26 am
Location: Westfalen

Postby Sir Kohran » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:45 pm

Jojo wrote:Hello!

SKM from BZPower wrote:That was quite well written, and I compliment you for being able to disagree with someone, whilst keeping away from flaming. That's not something you see much of on internet boards nowadays.

Perhaps you are reading the wrong boards? ;)
However, you are right. One should be able to discuss things without taking personal injuries from opponent opinions.


But you've also got to remember that the KK2 line is still very new, and TLC is still experimenting with KK2, and believe it or not, they are learning from their mistakes.

It's not impossible that they learn from previous mistakes. The new Hary Potter sets are - for instance - way better models than the original HP sets. Maybe they have learnt there.


But just a month ago, TLC released the Vladek Attack Kit, which is far more superior, you said it yourself. TLC is making better KK2 sets, and if they keep going in the right direction, perhaps the line could somehow resemble the golden days of the 80's and earlier 90's Castle.

Hm. I really don't want to steal your illusions but they already announced the Vladek Attack kit on the back side of the same catalogue that had the "original" Knights' Kingdmom Two sets. So they didn't learn from our rantings about the rubbish joust set but made it before. It's for you to decide if that's a good or a bad sign :)

Anyway, hope dies last.


Bye
Jojo

Image


Maybe I have been reading the wrong boards *glances at Lugnet* but of course, BZPower, (which I represent) certainly doesn't count as one of them.

As for your comments, I'm not too sure what to make of them. I agree that the Harry Potter sets are higher quality than they used to be, but as far as I know, Vladek's Attack Kit was released later than the jousting set.
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Postby Jojo » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:53 pm

Hello!

SKM from BZPower wrote:but as far as I know, Vladek's Attack Kit was released later than the jousting set.

Right. But it was already completely designed and in the pipeline when the jousting set was released. Otherwise there couldn't have been a pic of it on the same catalogue that has the jousting set in it.


Bye
Jojo

Image
Last edited by Jojo on Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
User avatar
Jojo
Master
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:26 am
Location: Westfalen

Postby jon_p » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:53 pm

SKM from BZPower wrote:..but as far as I know, Vladek's Attack Kit was released later than the jousting set.

Yes but if you had read what Jojo said
..they already announced the Vladek Attack kit on the back side of the same catalogue that had the "original" Knights' Kingdmom Two sets

He is saying that the set had already been produced so our complaints didn't affect how they made this set. But as for Harry Potter, it may have done as the newer sets are better than the older sets.

EDIT - Dang! Jojo must have posted about 30 seconds before me!

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
User avatar
jon_p
Artisan
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:45 pm
Location: England

Postby Sir Kohran » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:07 pm

Well, you both have valid points. Either way, let's just hope that TLC makes more KK2 sets like 'Vladek's Attack Kit' :D , and less sets like 'The Grand Tournament' :x .
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Postby jwcbigdog » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:11 pm

SKM from BZPower wrote:
That was quite well written, and I compliment you for being able to disagree with someone, whilst keeping away from flaming. That's not something you see much of on internet boards nowadays.

Perhaps you are reading the wrong boards? ;)
However, you are right. One should be able to discuss things without taking personal injuries from opponent opinions.


I see where SKM is coming from with these comments. I have seen some boards out there where the true topic is totally ignored and people just take pot shots at other over stupid stuff. Just so you know SKM, this site is very well administered and moderated, and that sort of stuff just doesn't go over well with the members here. You can pretty much speak your mind on anything, and those with differing opinions will be more than polite in their objections to what you have to say.

Back on topic, I understand that the KK2 sets are new and that lines will certainly mature over time. The design quality is somewhat low, but that may come up. I don't think that it will ever be the level of what we know and love as castle, but I don't think that it ever will ever come close if we whole heartedly support it without letting our objections about it be known. It is great that we have two lines (HP and KK2) that both generate interest and pieces for use in a castle sense. I believe that the only way we will see sets that we want to purchase for more than parts, and figs that we actually keep instead of covering in stickers, is to buy what we have now, but make our complaints about them known to those who count. I realize that forums such as these are not constantly monitored by people from TLC, but we are certainly not ignored. Therefore, I say we continue to buy what we have, but make our disdain known so that we can hope for better sets in the future.

As for not voting for KK2 for toy of the year and purchasing MB, I think may hurt us all of us more in the long run because the the line may just fade away, along with castle all together.
User avatar
jwcbigdog
Apprentice
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Willoughby, OH

Postby Sir Kohran » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:30 pm

Quite right, jwcbigdog. Look on IMDB or Lugnet, and you'll se people swearing and cursing eachother and using personal insults forgetting the thing they're actually fighting over.

On Topic: It's good that you agree that KK2 is improving. Hopefully, if TLC plays it right, then we might just have a line that could resemble the golden age of Castle.
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Postby lemon_squeezer2 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:41 pm

SKM from BZPower wrote:On Topic: It's good that you agree that KK2 is improving. Hopefully, if TLC plays it right, then we might just have a line that could resemble the golden age of Castle.


I hope so - however, this can only happen if:

We get generic minifigs and/or minifig packs
Less pre-molds
More solid construction aimed to provide a more realistic aspect.

A set that has all of those would be 6080. Now, the siege tower is a big improvement, but the line still has a way to go. Let's just hope that TLC gets the idea here. No offence, but I hope the castle line doesn't become a bionicle clone.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
User avatar
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: The "Other" Academy

PreviousNext

Return to LEGO Castle Sets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests