Weekly Set Review: Viking Voyager

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Pirates didn't make their appearance for a couple of years, but the point is not whether they were available or not, but rather if the overall model is lessened by the choice that Lego made. It's not a detraction to me now since I have more oars than I know what to do with.
I guess in hindsight the spears as oars are a problem. But it is like giving 375 knights one piece horses - a very good idea but not possible when initially released.
I think making a comparison is fair - it doesn't matter when they were made.
A comparison can be made but it is not a strong one. 6057 has much more in common with Emperor's Ship than 6049. (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7416)

I agree with you that 6057 could be better for a legend. But I think 6049 is very good for its much smaller scale. It is a "crusader canoe" :lol:

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

TwoTonic:

about oars vs. spears - I thought spears as oars were an ingenius use of a piece. What I like about lego is that any given piece doesn't HAVE to always be that piece. For example: the wrenches on the AT-AT, or shovels on the UCS TIE Interceptor - it is using the pieces imaginatively, and I love it.

Actually, I was disappointed to find the pirate oars were oars and not spears.

about the 6057 vs. 6049 - two different types of ships, two different purposes.

6049 looks like a viking ship, while 6057 does not. Granted, a small scale for a viking ship, but then BFF is small for a fort, GI is small for an inn, etc. To me it is like comparing apples to oranges - yes, both a fruit, but they have vastly different tastes that it is difficult to compare.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

The Voyager is a good little ship, please don't mistake me. The spears as oars just leap out at me. The spears are a specific item the soldiers would use in their primary design, so suspension of disbelief is impaired. Many parts are pressed into service as something else much more successfully. Or so in this artist's opinion, at least - I think you can get something visually superior with the parts existent at the time while still using the spear. I cite the Sea Serpent as a better execution of design, not as a direct competitor, though in fact the piece count is not that far apart (94 to 117, and just to answer the one claim, 175 for the 7416 Emperor's Ship), and both the Voyager and Serpent are primarily troop carriers.

Size really isn't an issue here - the Imperial Flagship is a far superior design to the Red Beard Runner. It's how well the design fits the function and size of the model. Overall, pretty darn good, but it has a couple of caveats that are easily addressed if you are of mind.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

I am of two minds about this set. On the one hand it was one of the few sets I was given during my own personal "Dark Age" (I hope I am using that term correctly). I had lots of the early castle line which was coming out just as I was getting "too old" for LEGO. Santa however still brought me a small set every year for old times sake and this was one of those. So there is a certian positive nostalgia.

OTOH I thought at the time that the set itself sucked majorly. The figs were cool, the weapons nice (too bad I painted all the points silver in a fit of stupidity) and the treasure chest may have been my first. The boat however was just goofy. I was, by that time, advanced enough in my knowledge of Medieval history to see it through jaded eyes.

Overall I would agree with those who say it is fine for figs but not much else.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Well, when you think about it, the boat dosen't look that bad. The thing that takes away from it the most is would be the goofy color scheme for the tip of the stern and bow being grey and yellow.

By itself, yes, it looks rather silly, but just think of all the fun you could have with 10 :twisted:
adm_matthew
Journeyman

Post by adm_matthew »

Wow, I really wish I had this set, but again, I have no LEGO Castle ;) :P
It would triple my Crusaders collection with just one of them :P
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

adm_matthew wrote:Wow, I really wish I had this set, but again, I have no LEGO Castle ;) :P
It would triple my Crusaders collection with just one of them :P
No Lego castle! :o What art thou doing here dog! :D
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I don't agree to those who said that this set could be a good candidate for Legend. A Legend is a legend. Something you remember and dreamed of. Something almost perfect, unforgettable. This is not the case here.

That's not a perfect set, but only a very good set. :D When I first saw it when I was young I wasn't sure I liked it. When I saw 6074 (Black Falcon fortress), I wasn't able thinking another thing. And I dreamed of it. I wanted to have it. Not the case with Viking Voyager.

Yes this is a good set. The fact that they use spear is not a problem for me. It's far better than the use of an axe in 6017 http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/oop1987.html . And the spears look really like oars.
" I deleted a non sure affirmation here".
It's not very much like a drakkar however. I think it has a strange look. I don't like the presence of the 2x10 plate under the boat. It makes the boat too much high. The 2x10 plate over was sufficient for the solidity of the structure. But I can't blame Lego. They didn't economise in those time, they made sets for the benefit of creation.

So I like the small army they are. They are very much armed. I have no problem with the color, nor the white rubber. I think it's nice. Not Legend, but memorable and very useful and creative. This set(6049) with (6017) opened the door for new horizon in castle: sea adventure. That's very important.

8/10
Last edited by David Girard on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

And the spears look really like oars. If you look carefuly in history, Roman oars were made like this in their boats. So it's historical accurate. In middle age they could had made oars like this.
Do you have a source for this? I haven't seen any depiction of Roman oars looking anything except like most every else's oars, from Greeks to Venetians, but if there is current research I missed, I'd love to find it!
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Excuse me TwoTonic Knight. I'm not so sure about what I was saying about oars. :oops: Where did I see that ? I don't remember. I may be wrong... I'll try to search again.

What is important is that it's not so bad on the set. Far better than the one on 6017 boat. :wink:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Another review from out long-buried vaults...

This set is an army builder. Plenty of figs, with shields for each and more than enough spears to go around. The design of the ship itself is actually liveable, it not what I should call stellar.

Parts: 6.5/10
Playability: 7.5/10
Figs/Accessories: 8.5/10
Design (then): 6/10
Design (now): 7/10
Nostalgia: 6.5/10

Overall Score: 7/10
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Now here is a not so rare set that I just can't seem to get ahold of...

I don't know why, but once I set out to collect all crusader sets I have had absolutley no luck with this one. I try for ones with instructions, but they are all too high. My guess would be because of the large fig count which is a huge plus for this set.

I always thought it was cool how the oars stick through the short fences. The amount of armorment (shields, etc.) is great and the design is not bad at all for such a small set.

To me this set was never really that military-ish. Its armed to the teeth, but I always received more of a 'patrol' feel from it, which is nice. Not a war-boat, jsut simple transportation for guards.

Suffice to say I love this set and wish I could get ahold of it!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

It is a great little set. It has 5 figs, and shields too. This is a super-duper castle builder, and you also get a few pieces. I wish I had more of these.
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

As a boat it doesn't make it (not to mention the absence of anything 'Viking' in its design) but as an army builder what a set. It has more than enough figs and accessories for a relatively small set I also find the parts from the boat quite useful.

Another 10/10 for its value, and
4/10 for the design
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Hard to get a hold off at a decent price now because of the figs. I always loved the spears as oars. My faviourite lego pieces often fit the space gun/torch spirit. The best aspect of this set, in my opinion, is the inclusion of enough shields for all the figs. This is often over looked in smaller sets with generous fig cvounts.

God Bless,

Nathan