hardest to find misb set ?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

David Girard wrote:The problem Mr Shiny and New is that all parts could come from others sets. Pieces are all easy to find. The fact that the arms doesn't stay up prove that you played a lot with them and that you changed arms when you were young.

Anyway, if you own this set you're very lucky.
Nah, I never changed the arms. They just got loose from vigourous play and aging plastic. I did change the hands though, and had lots of "sleeves" crack so that hands didn't stay in. But I've had lots of LEGO pieces break over the years. Virtually none of my classic spacemen are intact, and none of my classic knights are fully intact without at least some scratches or dents.

But I don't feel bad about having "ruined" this set as a kid; LEGO is meant to be played with first and foremost.
LusiferSam
Peasant

Post by LusiferSam »

Does any one know about Castle Mini Figures, set 15? I assume this has to be a rare MISB set. The only picture I've every seen is a drawing from a Mail Order Service advertisement on the back of an '84 parent's guide (this is the same thing BrickLink has and Lugnet use to have as their photo for this).
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Does any one know about Castle Mini Figures, set 15? I assume this has to be a rare MISB set. The only picture I've every seen is a drawing from a Mail Order Service advertisement on the back of an '84 parent's guide (this is the same thing BrickLink has and Lugnet use to have as their photo for this).
Set 15 is very rare just like the other early 1980's minifigure packs. LEGO does not have a misb copy of this in their "vault". It probably did exist but we do not know how it was packaged. Perhaps it was packaged like set 6103 canadian or perhaps it was just in a service pack plastic bag. Actually, I need to add this set to the set archive but I am waiting for a photo of the men to do so. Like most of the early figure packs, collectors just have to assemble this with figures from other sets.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
architect wrote:It probably did exist but we do not know how it was packaged. Perhaps it was packaged like set 6103 canadian or perhaps it was just in a service pack plastic bag.
It was in the Service section of the 1984 US-catalogue, and I strongly suppose it was in the 1983 US-catalogue as well but I don't have one. The 1982 US-Legoland-Catalogue, however, only shows service packs from #1 to #14 (14 to be a minifig pack with astronauts).

Actually, I need to add this set to the set archive but I am waiting for a photo of the men to do so. Like most of the early figure packs, collectors just have to assemble this with figures from other sets.
*cough* I don't know how the figs are assembled correctly. The only pic is a handdrawn and badly coloured one on the back side of a catalogue:

I can only guess (based on knowledge of other sets) what the legs look like. I also think the distribution of the visor colours was quite randomly done.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
LusiferSam
Peasant

Post by LusiferSam »

architect wrote:Set 15 is very rare just like the other early 1980's minifigure packs. LEGO does not have a misb copy of this in their "vault". It probably did exist but we do not know how it was packaged. Perhaps it was packaged like set 6103 canadian or perhaps it was just in a service pack plastic bag. Actually, I need to add this set to the set archive but I am waiting for a photo of the men to do so. Like most of the early figure packs, collectors just have to assemble this with figures from other sets.

Ben E.
Personally I'd guess it was packed in a service pack plastic bag. It was a small mini-figure set and basically at S@H exclusive, so why bother with a box?
jojo wrote:*cough* I don't know how the figs are assembled correctly. The only pic is a handdrawn and badly coloured one on the back side of a catalogue:
That's my problem too and the primary reason I asked. But if you guys are in the dark on this one as much as me it makes me feel better.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Ok, thanks to Jojo we have a photo for set 15 :-) Here is the new page:

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/0015.html

I would also like to point out that we do not know that this is a Shop at Home only exclusive. For example, set 6103 Canadian was sold in stores and has special cardboard back and plastic box packaging. Other town and space minifig packs of the early 80's were packaged similarly. So this set could have been as well.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin