Weekly Set Review: Witch's Magic Manor

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
draugaer
Apprentice

Post by draugaer »

I owned this set, was one of the last sets I got before I got out of legos. I was glad to have gotten the set, it has some nice pieces (all the rocks, slopes, arches and big green plates). Also, some the features were kind of cool, like the hidden entrance and the falling rock.

However I think the execution is pretty terrible, as with other FK sets, the colors are pretty obnoxious and overly-cartoonish, and the form of the structure as a whole just isn't that pleasing to the eye. One of the ugliest sets imo.

Also as I remember it, even though the set was rather large, with the huge number of burps the construction was overly simplistic and lasted all of about 5 minutes.
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

Also as I remember it, even though the set was rather large, with the huge number of burps the construction was overly simplistic and lasted all of about 5 minutes.
Looks like I'll be building this, unbuilding it, putting it back in the box, and doing it all over again once I get it in the mail then! :P
Gilnar
Gong Farmer

Re: Weekly Set Review: Witch's Magic Manor

Post by Gilnar »

Ok, I realize this thread is good five years old, but I just had to register here to say what I'm going to say.

Because I really dig this set.

It ISN'T BAD AT ALL.
Ok, that helicopter is completely silly, but it fits that gothic/frankenstein feel of the whole FK series. I didn't think much of that series as a kid, but I've grown to appreciate it as, IMHO, last series of the old Castle. All that stuff that came after just didn't do it for me. As already mentioned, the set has lots of great parts, but I think it works really well as a whole, too. It's not a castle, it's just a desolate mountain crack (or maybe ruins of old fort) in which the witch set up her freakish hideout. What it lacks in proper fortifications, it makes up for with all those cool details like the prison, secret entrance (with a skeleton - yay!), laboratory and the falling rock/gate.

FK wasn't as good as it's precedessors, but still, it was the last of the venerable old Castle series'. This medium-sized set is just as good as any other from the FK line. I like it. You should too ;)
Terry Tuffnuts
Serf

Re:

Post by Terry Tuffnuts »

dJOLe_sk8 wrote:It's a probably some of kind a fast-builded-high pass-shelter for fright knights so it doesn't really need to have a classic castle construction.
^This exactly.
Because of so many strong bad reviews here and that YouTube vid saying this is the WORST castle set ever, to me, mades it iconic so I went and bought it :eyebrows:
The flying machine is un-defendable but:
its not a problem that they found a rocky outcrop that had a been built on in the past and they've tried to fortify the ruins, -is fits better than a fancy build would.

I rarely add on to an official build but since ill admit this was a bit funky, I enjoyed using brown double-rounded bricks to close the ground level gaps like makeshift wooden palisades.