Weekly Set Review: Witch's Magic Manor

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

4 Great figures, a horse, a skeleton, a dragon, a bat, a chain, and a few cool pieces...

But is that seriously worth $55? Definitely not.

Set play ability: 6
Piece selection: 4 (when compared with price)
Design: 3.5
Overall: 4.5
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

I have a soft spot for the Fright Knights line of Lego. This is the faction that pulled me out of my dark age, and this is the first large set that I purchased. I actualy purchased 2 of these babies.

I liked the idea of the set, but Willa the Witch and the gyro-wing-coptor were just plain silly. I liked the Bat-Helm and the torso designs for the soldiers. The green dragon was a plus for me as well.

I give the set an overall B. Crazy Willa the Witch detracts from the set.

I will admit that I think this set it much maligned, but I like it. This was the first "Bad Guy" line that could oppose my Black Knights, Crusaders, etc.
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Although I must buy this set to fulfill my collectors "mission", I keep putting it off because of the sheer horror of paying the price for this set that I'll probally have to pay...

I don't mind Willa at all... and it's cool that her enemies were the forestmen... but I just can't shake the feeling that it looks like a bunch of BURPS arranged together in a somewhat orderly fashion.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Lord Felix
Landlord

Post by Lord Felix »

If you need burps and lurps, this is the set for you! :lol:

My friend recieved this set, and I must say, it was fun to play with, and matched the other people he had (Royal Knights, lots of Foretmen and Dark Forest). We thought the bats were dumb, but liked the fortress. We also thought the witch was dumb, too.

Overall, the playability is high,
The good pieces and attractive look is low.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dandin]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8499398@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/candlemusic]My Band: Candle[/url]
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

I <3 the Fright Knights torsos/figures, and the concept of having a witch is really cool, but Willa is just plain ugly.
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

I liked this series a lot. This particular set has some very valuable pieces mostly due to the figs. I give it a 8/10.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

I would rather eat $55 than shell out for this set. Besides the greatsword and the soldiers, it is awful. The colour combination and shoddy design make it look as if it was thrown together by a blindfolded four year old. If it weren't for the title of the set, I probably wouldn't know what it was supposed to be.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

In my opinion every set has its own use, even if it stinks beyond your belief. Sadly this the first time :cry: but I am not leniet to this set. 4/10 for the burps and lurps.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I really like this set, because it has so many minifigs, and what I find to be a cool design. However, the price kind of ruins it for me.

7/10

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

KK II almost made me harken back to these sets. Almost. The dark forest fig is a plus, but I just can't get past theses sets and their arch-and-burp construction. Of course the worst day with LEGO is better than the best day at work...
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

I wasn't a fan for the FK. This set seemed that it was priced too high for what you got. The minifigs are cool, but the flying contraption is just plain silly. I give it high marks for the playability though.

6/10
legorebel45
Serf

Post by legorebel45 »

My brother was a huge fan of the fright knights,and he loved this set.I,however,thought it was a little open for my liking.
will soon be posting MOCs,featuring the city of frightsberg.
collbri07
Serf

Post by collbri07 »

This set came out when I really began to collect Legos seriously. I remember appreciating the set for what it was. While the set seemed a tad bit pricey due to the lack of creativity in its design (in my opinion), there was an abundance of building pieces and the number of minifigs was not too bad. I purchased 1-3 of these because it was not a terrible collection builder set when it comes to building material (cave pieces, rock walls, interesting pieces...). The set was definitely not a favorite, but it was alright for me at the time...
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I bought it because (a) it was 1999 and Euro-esque Castle was not retail available much, (b) the set looked so lonely, (c) I needed that hooded Dark Forest figure.

Other than that, not much to get hyped about, especially if you had a KB Toys with the blow-out priced ($39.99 or LESS) Night Lord's Castle 6097 close by in order to get some Castle fix.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

*6087 Fan-boy Geek mode on*
not least a grey octagonal column
Two actually. :wink:
I would rather eat $55 than shell out for this set.
It was actually only $44, according to Peeron and Lugnet. Well worth the price, IMO.

Well, to begin my (opinionated?) review of this [awesome] set:
First things first: set design. I actually like it... to an extent. Well, if you're looking at this as a fortress built entirely by the Fright Knights, of course you won't like it. I think it seems more like the ruins of a castle built into part of a mountain. Perhaps the Fright Knights defeated the original owners, moved in, and made it into a sort of hideout. It's obvious that 6097 is their real main structure... thing. Oh, but yes, the color scheme is a bit screwy. And another thing, if you put this on the corner of a table/desk, you can have the empty walls be on cliffs, if you use your imagination.

Parts: Not much to say here, it depends what you like. I like BURPS and arches, so I like the pieces.

Minifigs: I really like all of the FK figs, especially Willa. Actually, I'm glad this set lacked the Bat Lord as he did get annoying. Sure, the abundance of Willa is annoying too, but nothing is more annoying, IMO, than Majisto's appearance in almost every DM set.

Pros:
Set design (if you look at it the right way)
Minifigs (if you like 'em)
Parts (same)
Don't think I mentioned this, but Gothic Atmosphere. :wink:

Cons:
Set design (if you look at it the wrong way)
Colors
Improper execution of Willa's "Flying Machine", which would have otherwise been AWESOME.

My score: 9.99/10, naturally.

NOTE: I might be biased, as this set was my first Lego Castle, and the Fright Knights introduced me to Lego altogether.