Weekly Set Review: Witch's Magic Manor

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

Ugh! This looks kinda like my MOCs when I have a limited amount of same-color bricks. :roll: It's OK for parts, but the deseign SUCKS!

6/10
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

i am probably going to get a buncha BURPS thrown at me for this, but I liked this set. when I saw it out I thought it was lame, so I didnt buy it. But then it went on sale for some outrageously low price, and I broke down and bought it.
Well, after I put it together I couldnt stop playing with it. I loved the LURP gate. It went up and down and up and down and up and down.. wheee!
and the little prison was fun too, the drawback was that it came with Willa.. :roll:
the rest though was pretty cool.

:D
LF
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

LEGOFREAK wrote:i am probably going to get a buncha BURPS thrown at me for this, but I liked this set.
Infindel! *throws BURPS at Freak*

This set, honestly, it the worst ever, and that's saying something. Luckily I don't own it, and the only way I would get it if it was on sale for less than ten bucks or if someone gave it to me. KK2 is better than this, even the wheeled horses!

PS - you can keep those BURPs Freak :wink:
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Croaker
Serf

Post by Croaker »

The witch is a cool addition to the castle them. But the flying machine does not belong in the castle theme. Fright knights have good parts but vary few good sets. IMO this is about when the castle them started going down hill.
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

This is the first time I really put this together. Did the Fright Knights fight against the Dark forest? I thought DF was against Royal Knights primarily... but I guess they carried on for a bit after.

As for the set.. I wasn't much of a FK collector so nothing great here to me.
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

Fright Knights are terrible!!

Honestly, how could they market this? The piece selection is the only thing that could possibly make this set worth anything. The design is awful! And whoever came up with Willa is hopefully locked in the LEGO vault so that they can't do anymore damage. 3/10, and only for the pieces.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

jwcbigdog wrote:
Fright Knights are terrible!!
This is the best way to resume what I think. I add to this that it was a dark period in Lego history...

Look is as much important as playability. Please TLC, think about this sentence. 6087 is a great example of lot of playability, but without the look.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Terrible design. It isn't defendable, it isn't good-looking, it isn't functional in a way other than defense...

It looks to me like a rocky glen covered in trappings from a castle.

GREAT parts selection though, and reasonable play value. Figs are awesome too (hey, it has a Dark Forest!)

Parts: 8/10
Playability: 7.5/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 4.5/10
Design (now): 4.5/10
Nostalgia: 7/10

Overall score: 6.58/10

EDITED FOR SUPPLEMENTARY CRITERIA
Last edited by Formendacil on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

What can I say? The set is a perfect match for Willa: butt-ugly (and just to keep that Castle oriented, well make that the thing that you take archery practice at, not the thing you sit on). :D

2/10. A real stinker. One of these days I'm going to write my Diatribe on Non-Critical Ratings. What's the point of rating something if every lackluster set gets at least an 8 out of 10? :roll:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

This is a good parts set. I will have to agree that it has a crappy design, but good parts. The figs and dragon and BURPs and the rest make it an ok set.

Dan :wink:

By the way, my 800th post!!! YA!! :D
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
st0815
Gong Farmer

Post by st0815 »

It's the first fright knights set that I got. Well, it sure is full of BURPs and stupid witch helicpoter, but I love the minifigures. And, I ended up collection the whole fright knights theme beside ugly flying veichles of the Bat Lord.
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

ok,i'm new here,and i a little bit lated for this discussion but i must say a few GOOD thing for witch's magic mountain...

It's a probably some of kind a fast-builded-high pass-shelter for fright knights so it doesn't really need to have a classic castle construction.Great minfigs and,of course,forestmen minfig is the best...great asortment of weapons too...and I thnik,as other said,the Fright Knights are nice adition to castle theme as opponent to good magic force to the Dragon Masters...

Finally,10/10 for minfigs and 8/10 for parts.....
9/10 for all.... :D

sorry for my bad english....
freetings from serbia
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

I don't care all that much if a set is poorly designed, what matters most to me are the parts!
And this set has some pretty good parts and figs.
I'll gladly take this over any KK2 set!
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Hmm, how should I put this... Forestman:"Oh no I am captured, I have to go through that odd rock trap thingy, oh look there is a hole in the wall", and then he walks out... 5/10 since I am leniet with poor design, it is supposed to please the kids!
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Ah...One of the worst sets ever sold as a set.

With that said, I would have to say the piecs selection and figs selection are more than adaquate for this size set.
Even with BRUPs and LURPs there were enough bricks to actually make something of interest, and what can I say,
I love these guys! (well, torsos at least)
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><