Weekly Set Review: Castle Mini-Figures

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Castle Mini-Figures

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 15 Castle Mini-Figures.

This six pack of figures was one of two sets released in 1983. 15 is one of the most rare castle sets and was released in the United States. The set features four knights and two soldiers with accessories. Similar knights and soldiers can be found in sets 383 and 677.

Evidence of this set can only be found in catalogs so there is some debate on the leg and hip colors of these figures. LEGO does not have a copy of this set in their "vault" at Billund.

Last edited by architect on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

By today's standards this is a great set. The only thing that can be asked for is for a greater variety of weapons and figs. But who cares when you're getting 4 classic visors! :P
9/10
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

WOW!!! Is this set was really existed? I didn't know that.
What a great set. If it only it was sold outside US.
If only TLC did them now like they use too.
If it was sold today I'd buy a 100 or even 200. Nice army builder.
I'd rank it back then as 10/10 and now 15/10.

and now for real
I doubt there is some1 I know here that really got this set. OK it's a nice minifigs set
with minifigs that now consider pretty rare "and cost alot" so it look amazing
but if you think about it back then it was just another 6 minifigs pack and of course we
all love Minifigs - but that about it.
Nonetheless I'd be happy to have it cause I'd be rich if I sold it.
howie
Serf

Post by howie »

I think it's an awesome set. The few extra soldiers and the awesome visors make a great addition to any army.

Howie-
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

What is there NOT to like about this set? It's perfect!

Cm2
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I agree that by today's standards its great because it comes with so many minifigures.

But by my standards, the classic design for the visors its goofy. The minifigures are also a little boring with their torso design. I'm not much of a fan. The Black Knights look waay cooler.

I do however, like the shields.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Crappy design. This model could have really been better-defended, and the lack of alternative models really irks me.

I'm kidding, alright!!!!

Beautiful set! A king among minifigures, if only because it comes with four classic visors. Nice-looking figs in general, The assortment of weapons is somewhat inadequate, but I guess that's what accessories are for.

Parts: 5/10 (Which is REALLY high considering...)
Playablitiy: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 10/10
Design (then): 7/10
Design (now): 10/10

Overall Score: 8/10
Sir Drake
Archer

Post by Sir Drake »

on the first sight it isnt that much, but if you look better you can tell that this set is very very cool with those classic visors and shields(whom work nice for a royal guard or something like that). but on the other hand i would think it should include more different weapons, but i would give it a 9,5/10 back then and now 15/10. this really rocks!!! :D 8)
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

if we're talking about this set back when it was released, I'd call it mediocre (SP?). Now this set, while it is down to basics and has nothing noteworthy about it, defenitely surpasses by far the best set on the shelves today.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Silent Arrow
Villein

Post by Silent Arrow »

Very old set, but very beautiful. Especially the colors (white leggings!!!) are very nice........
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

That's a nice fig set. It was probably overlooked by most kids back then because it wasn't advertised on the regular Castle pages in the catalogue but only on the boring service packs page on the back of the cataloge. And it wasn't advertised in German catalogs at all, so I strongly doubt it was ever available over here.

The figs themselves are great, I like the visors, I like the coats of arms, I like the colour scheme. The blue knight is actually one of my favourite figs off all (after the ... I guess you know...).

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

The blue knight is actually one of my favourite figs off all (after the ... I guess you know...).

Bye
Jojo

Ah yes the Blue Knight! What a set! Jojo you are right as this set did get past me way back when. By the time I became aware of it, I was 18 and heading into my Dark Age. This is indeed a "Legend" of a set. 50/10 from me!
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Welcome to Spring Cleaning 1983!

To me, it just looks like they're trying to dump leftover classic-era parts before producing the 1984 LEGOLAND line.

Regardless, who can complain about getting six medieval figures? The fact that they have classic visors surely meant nothing in 1983 when all visors were like that. Unfortunately, with duplicates of each fig in this pack, it would get redundant very quickly if purchased in multiples. More variety would be nice.

How much demand for this would there be in 1983? The only castle in existence was the Yellow Castle, and there were already at least 3 other sets that were essentially just minifig packs for it. A mail-order only minifig pack in a product line that had no shortage of minifigs does not seem wise. I'm not surprised that nobody has it.

Oh well, I would have liked it then, and I'd like it now. I wish they still made generic castle minifigs instead of everybody needing to be a "character"?
8/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

rogue27 wrote: I wish they still made generic castle minifigs instead of everybody needing to be a "character"?
I agree with that. I dont mind characters, but I want to see generic figs as well. Whats a general without an army?

But I'm gonna step out on a line here and say I don't like this "set." To me, inorder for a set to be good, it needs to have some bricks, some shape, something to it more than just figs. Figs are nice, dont get me wrong, and I'd buy a good fig pack like this any day of the week - but some cool shops or a castle wins out anyday. To me, Figpacks are their own little world, apart and seperate from 'sets' proper.

So here's to buildings, structure, and creative design - all of which Figpacks just don't have (and cant have, obviously).

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

This set looks awesome. What's not to like? It has six guys with weapons, helmets, and they're classic. You have got to love that!
Back then a 10/10 now 10000000000/10. If you get my drift. It's a perfect set.

PS. I must second what Rogue said about the characters in the newest LEGO sets. I like him do not mind characters but as Glencaer said. The General does need to have an army.
Space rocks.