Weekly Set Review: King's Mountain Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: King's Mountain Fortress

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6081 King's Mountain Fortress.

King's Mountain Fortress, released in 1990, was the first Crusader castle on a raised baseplate. It has a gate tower with a drawbridge and two doors. The main tower has a jail, trap door, and duel crossbow firing station on the top battlements. Two mounted knights, an axeman, a spearman, two crossbowmen, a lady, a ghost, and many accessories are included.

Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

One of the first sets I got coming out of my dark age. I like the model, even though I am not a fan of raised base plates, it is very good. Euro armour, a nice maiden (need a few more female figs) and lion knights/soildiers.

Fun to build and fun to play with..... Of course the original model hasn't been built for a while, I like MOCs. 9/10
Troy T. Moore
Sir Drake
Archer

Post by Sir Drake »

This is a nice set: 2 knights, 4 soldiers, a maiden and a ghost. It has some nice pieces and a good design. 9/10
Last edited by Sir Drake on Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howie
Serf

Post by howie »

Very nice set. Some good peices. I give it a 9/10 because of the pieces. Can't ever have enough soldiers.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

When this set came out I wanted to buy it so much, unfortunatly I couldn't afford it (can you believe it I bought a history book instead - no kiddin').
For years I regreted that I don't have it but now I finally I bought 2 from EBay. Actually it a very nice Castle/Fortress. You can find some nice alternates of this set in 260 ideabook. Got a black parrot (exculsive to this set), a lion barding, 2 visors + euroarmors (which were new in 1990), a ghost (new in 1990), 5 crossbows (which were new in 1990), 6 knights and most importent the countess (well at least I refer to it as such) minifig.
It was the first castle ever built ion a raised baseplate (well castle I mean not pirates) and the last one that can still attached to the old ones. It signs the end of LEGOLAND castle and probably the golden era of 1984-1990.

Anyway I love this set a lot, in my list it's the 4th best castle. Not in my top10 Castle sets but it's somewhere between 11-15. Final score is 9.5 (even 10)/10.
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

I got this for christmas one year along with Forestmen's River Fortress and Dungeon Hunters ...ahh the memories. I'm sure i still have every piece, very fun set.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

I wish I had this set, it has everything I would want.
10/10
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Love this set. Bought a big lot on Ebay that had this in it. Everything except the black bird! Had to get that off Bricklink. Great set! 10/10

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Looks good to me, plenty of guys even a maiden. Great set design, has plenty of accesories. And it's before my time so I nver bought it. :(

a 9/10 then and 100/10 now.
Space rocks.
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

This set is awesome. I like that it comes with the cool lion barding. In my opinion the lion barding is the best barding LEGO has made. It also has a maiden!!!

Why Why Why can't LEGO make sets like this one anymore?!?
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

This is one of my favorite castles. I like the way it looks, and think it uses the base plate very well. I think the little window thing on the front of the castle, really adds to the appearance. Also I like the oak tree variation on the palm tree. And of course it comes with the only black bird and the maiden.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
TheBohrok
Artisan

Post by TheBohrok »

I just got one of these from Bricklink less than a week ago and I had a great time just putting it together. I like pretty much everything about this set except that the trap door doesn't work very well. All the minifigs are great to have and the barding is nice.
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice

Post by RuthleSs__PaLadin »

I found this set on ebay MISB. I still have it in storage, only set I didn't sell. I was lucky to be the one to open this one and feel the rare parts. Even though I got it last year, it dates back to 1990. It was an amazing experience building it. Rare parts too. Don't forget the black bird :D

DAn
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

I saw this model at a friend house during a birthday party when I was in kindergarten.

I love it! It looks like an outpost should, it's not a castle but a border fortress and you can see the border guards doing their rounds...

sorry, just dreaming away for a moment.

It's a very nice model one of the best ever in my opinion.

And I like the raised baseplate :D

joel
Last edited by kajo163 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

My brother (Formedical) got this as his third Lego set, and I was soooooooo jealous of him ever after.

I like this set a lot. Great people, espically the knights. All that grey. And the base plate. 100000/10!

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.