Weekly Set Review: Camouflaged Outpost

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
ohms_dad
Villein

Post by ohms_dad »

This was one of my favorite sets when it came out back in my prime castle building days. This set brings back all the wonderful memories from my golden age of lego building.
OHM's Dad

"When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled"
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Oh.

A review from 2003 and I'm not in this thread? Anyway.

In Germany 6066 was in the catalogue only in 1988, together with 6054. Of course I instantly fell in love with this then new forestmen theme, however, I preferred 6054...
This said, 6066 is still cool in my book. It offers nice parts and great playabilty. And it comes with a black forestman (Black collar), which in Germany is available only in this set. Back then I figured it was meant to resemble friar Tuck...

Bye
Jojo
albero78
Bailiff

Post by albero78 »

I really liked it when I received. Lots of parts and a lota of minifig. The soldiers have finally someone to fight with.

A very playable set indeed. I really like the secret passage also.

In my opinion, today's sets are far from this beauty.
Andrea Albertazzi
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=albero78]MY BRICKSHELF GALLERY[/url] | [img]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9002/itarp2.jpg[/img]
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

nice set has good play ability. about the flag then i think lego thought that the buildings werent really medieval without flags.
Baned
Foot Soldier

Post by Baned »

I'm still kicking myself for not getting a 100% complete copy on ebay a year or so ago. It even included the spare plumes still attached to the wheels. :(

This is one of those sets that I simply won't rest until I finally own it.
Peeron contributions: 577 (Viking Chess), 7009, 7654, 7655, 7695, 7771, 8813, 8821, and 8822.

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MaccyG]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Bear
Peasant

Post by Bear »

Loved this set, but never owned it. My friend Jed did and boy did I envy him. The forestmen were the first new faction after Castle was out a couple years so seeing them for the first time made it really cool.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Ah, yes! How did I miss this thread? The Forestmen said "elves" to me when I saw them. I thought that they were intended to be reminescent of Robin Hood, without an outright license (who would hold that BTW?), but wasn't as interested in him. The Dark Forest figs later make better merry men IMO. I got two of these back in the day. Ben, one of those boxes and insrtuctions are part of what I'm letting loose of (referring to my buy/sell/trade post).
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Sigh... :cry: My first forestman set and my second castle set... it brings tears to my eyes! I just love this set: the secret exit, the opening sloped front door, the way the back moves on it's hinges for easy access, and my Robin Hood: the forestman with black accents.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

This is my all-time favorite LEGO set. Period. Now you know. :D

The Forestmen were my favorite faction, and as a mid-sized set, this included enough minifigs that my Robin Hood fantasies could be realized. In addition to the minifigs themselves, it had full plume wheels ("sprues") in three different colors, with a horse, basket, two goblets (unusual at the time), and various weapons. Other than some of the tree, it's nearly all brick-built, in the traditional sense, with very few of the castle wall pieces introduced with the Crusader sets. In terms of play value, it has two secret entrances, with a lookout platform integrated into the tree.

Seriously, this is the perfect set. Everything I built for the next several years was inspired by this set.
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Odysseus
Laborer

Post by Odysseus »

Around the time this set was released, a Lego tour of some sort was exhibiting at the local shopping mall. They had dioramas of each system, and the Castle diorama featured this set, which had an underground lair of sorts beneath the slanted entrance. I was blown away at the time. I wish I had enough green to pull-off something similar.
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

never got this set and never saw it before but i want it! :D
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

Is there any reason not to like this set? Great looking forestmen set. The heavy amount of figures is wonderful. One note on that which is especially important to me , all those figures are forestmen, so if you want to get your collection of forestmen to a good start you'd buy this set. No messing around with guys you don't want. Think how amazing a 30 doller set with 6 fully armed crown knights and a selection of excellent pieces would be.