Weekly Set Review: Jousting Knights

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

This is a "cheap" set, ugly because of the colors, without any part to make a real joust set (guards, tents with steps and a fiew spectators, etc.). And each knight could have a cape !

Then, it could be only a good way to have round shields, more knights (but I think that the number of knights provided by other sets, espacially castles, is completely sufficient) or more horses (what a pity that no castle has any stable with horses of replacement !), or to begin with a small (ugly) set with a good playability.

5/10
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Fry_slayer wrote:I will buy 10 boxes straigh if i see them...enough said
The last box I have seen of this set cost me $22 ;)

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Fry_slayer
Steward

Post by Fry_slayer »

haha... but i only buy Lego in my place at warehouse sales since the normal price range has risen to unbelievable heights :!: :shock:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

A very uninspiring set considering the era it was released. Hardly any building potential at all, and quite disappointing in its lack of any non-combatent structures/people/items. The colour scheme of the knights (well, the BF anyway) is annoyingly inconsistent with the rest of the theme.

That said, there isn't a piece with this set I would want to have numerous multiples of. As far as army-building goes, this one is one of the best. Had it been considered a Minifigure set, and not a jousting set, it would possibly be a classic. There is a great number of weapons and shields, two horses, and two generic knights. Awesome.

Parts: 6/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 9/10
Design (contemporary): 7/10
Design (universal): 8.5/10
Nostalgia: 7.5/10

Overall Score: 7.67/10 (B)
Last edited by Formendacil on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

I believe this is the only small set containing two of the round shields ever produced. Not even counting the two horses, two knights and the triangular shields, this makes it a 10/10.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

Sorry, but I can't understand why you are so many who give to this set a 10/10.

This is a very basically classic set, without any context and decoration, without real originality (no accessory exept minifigs and weapons that can be found in many other sets). It seems to me as a "fast-made" set*: "Put two minifigs (no matter about the colors), two horses, then classical sword and lance and triangular shield for each... Well, that's a bit cheap... Let's add two round shields, why not? never mind if there is no way to use them while playing with a set... That's still a bit cheap, let's add two lances, that's OK, we get a joust set, yeah, we made a set in 10 seconds!"...

* Even if the horses have no wheel... ;)
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Commander Redbeard wrote:I believe this is the only small set containing two of the round shields ever produced.
It's the smallest set ever to contain two round shields. 6030 and 6039 are only slightly bigger and contain two round shields.
Jyp wrote:Sorry, but I can't understand why you are so many who give to this set a 10/10.
I believe it's for the same reason people give a 10/10 to any figure-and-accessories set. That's what 6021 is basically.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Fry_slayer
Steward

Post by Fry_slayer »

The thing is...u can buy ten sets of it and u still would not have any extra or left over parts (any army can always use some extra shields n weapons), save for the extra feathers and weapon holders may be. Simple yet up to the point.

Same principle applied if they introduce storm troopers pack, gonna sell like hot cakes? :twisted:
Norro
Councilor

Re: Weekly Set Review: Jousting Knights

Post by Norro »

Always loved this set, despite its slightly 'individual' colour scheme. Compared to most modern castle sets it is hard to see how you could knock it.

God Bless,

Nathan
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Ah! The good ole' days. A great army builder. The colors don't match, but get enough, and you can make your own matches. 9 of 10 just for the memory lane trip.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Maybe I'm the only one, but I like the mixed colors. I think that it's not because Black Falcon has blue flag that they have to wear blue cloths. I'm living in Canada and I'm not always wearing in red !

I think it's realistic, because Black Falcon has blue flag and falcon shield. The color of the cloth is not important.

10/10
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

I obviously don't have this set, but judging from the picture it is a cheap way to get horses and shields... :wink:
9/10
I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Unfortunately, we just don't see LEGO making sets like this anymore. It's so simple, yet so useful as an army builder. If I could get my hands on some, I would be a very happy FOL. :)
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

This is great set to add some extra knights to your collection. I would have liked them to have the euro armour, but they are very cool as they are. I am glad that this set came with the rare round shield (if only I had more of these).

Overall it is nice cheap set to get a couple of great knights for your castle theme.

Rating: 8/10