Weekly Set Review: Jousting Knights

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
smegged
Freeman

Post by smegged »

Why is it that the most attractive thing to me about this set is the cheap sheilds? Why is it that TLC has forgotten how to give mounted units sheilds?
Lord Felix
Landlord

Post by Lord Felix »

I like this set. Two horses. Two figures. One of my complaints is in what is on the figures' torsos. If it was a Crusader Emblem and Black Falcon... I would really want this set.
Another complaint is the lack of bricks. Maybe a training stand with a bag and shield would be a good addition...

6.9/10
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dandin]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8499398@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/candlemusic]My Band: Candle[/url]
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I loved this set. I was too young to have any money to buy the Crusader's Castle but I had the BFF. I really wanted more troops and mom wouldn't say no to a low priced set. Then you also got a white saddle which wasn't seen much after the Crusaders. I didn't like the round shields too much, but then again, there weren't many of them to be found which made them rare.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
crownknightfan
Gong Farmer

Post by crownknightfan »

Nice, never owned... it is a set that could be valueable asset to any aspiring collector of LEGO. :D
Lego is to Classic-castlers, as candy is to children!
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

Often in castle simple is best, look at this weapons holder assembly:

http://www.peeron.com/scans/6021-1/3

I do prefer the later Euro armour knights with movable visors, but for their time these were state of the art knights with rare round shields.

Mario
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Great set. Two knights. Two horses. Gear enough for all. What more can you ask for?

I wish I had more than one of those round shields. Its the only one to have survived the dangers of getting stepped on when lost in shag carpeting.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

the only thing i don't like is the styal of there helmets but other then that
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Sadly this set came out when I was still in my dark age. It looks like a very good set to have (good army builder). 15/10.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Mowie
Gong Farmer

Post by Mowie »

This is the first set I ever got. I was happy then to get it, and I'd be happy to get it now.
It's an army builder, and what's wrong with that? You always want more troops, and when you couldn't afford the bigger sets, you took what you could get. There were a few troop builder sets in those years, and I think they were a good thing.
It's a bit harsh to judge the set down for things that exist now, like Euro armour or fancy swords. Back then it was top of the line. I don't think anyone here would knock it back if offered it.
The set had two factions that could fight, and it could easily add to another set. I think an 8/10 easy (not counting nostalgia).
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

MarioDAlessio wrote:I do prefer the later Euro armour knights with movable visors, but for their time these were state of the art knights with rare round shields.
I remember that when I was a child in 1984, I thought that the new knights helmets (i.e. without movable visor) was a regression compared with previoups movable visors. Nicer design but much less playability.

Now I still prefer movable visors, whether they are the oldest or the latest!
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Good for army building, bad for a first set. I think the first set is a very special thing and should err on the side of fantastic. The fact that is has a black falcon shield but not the signature black falcon torso is disappointing. The multiple lances make it more realistic though. Eh......8/10 for its size rating.
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
Templar Jesse
Gong Farmer

Post by Templar Jesse »

I think this is an alright set overall, i mean its two knights and two horses. whho cares if one has a tacky selection of armor. if i saw them for under 10$ id buy every one i could. 8/10!!
"God Wills It"
Brikbud
Serf

Post by Brikbud »

Hmmmm.... an interesting set. Incredible, no. Interesting, yes.
It would actually look pretty neat tucked in the courtyard of a castle... :-D

Stephen
natepc
Peasant

Post by natepc »

And so I leave my 5 month lurk to comment on this set. I absolutely love this set. Why? Because this was my first set. Ever. At least as far as I can remember. This came out in 1984, I was born in 83. Cloth capes didn't exist, euro armour didn't exist. I spent many hours jousting with these two. The design on the blue fellow is almost worn off because of it. I preferred the red and black, you see. This set really had everything. Shields, lances, armour, helmets, swords, plumes. Ah, the memories.

Nate PC
Nate PC
------
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/natepc]Flickr[/url]
dragonblade24
Apprentice

Post by dragonblade24 »

This set is alright i like the old helmets and shields...... overall fair set. :wink:
1. work!
2. work harder!
3. When all else fails.....BUILD LEGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we fly to victory!' said the dragon king.