Weekly Set Review: Yellow Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Wow, that oldest Lego castle really gives me the warm feeling of ancient antiquity!!! I'll have to obtain this set sometime... I bet it'll take me quite a while, though.
That castle really is a significant set, the father of all Lego castles! Incredible.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Almost. It's the first minifig-centred Castle set. They did one before. A promotional for Weetabix, sometime in the early 70s. Unfortunately there is no year noted on the instructions.
Gah!!!!!!! The Rainbow Castle! Hmmm strange enough the Rainbow Castle is actually better then the modern day Rainbow Knight Castles :wink:

That's a pretty awsome Castle. It would have been even better with real minfigs because they are in scale with that.
I surprised they never used those window peices alot afterward... :cry:
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

surprised they never used those window peices alot afterward...
I agree.

Also, nowadays they(lego) have a tendency to make incomplete castles, with just the front being complete. The older sets are beautifully complete from all angles.
psu_ericksen
Foot Soldier

Post by psu_ericksen »

Hmmm. Am I the only one who doesn't particularly care for the yellow castle? (I know. I might as well said I LOVE BLEY! Which I don't, BTW) Please don't smote me. :cry: It's not that I don't like it or don't appreciate it. My first castle sets were 6010 Supply Wagon and 6080 King's Castle and I quickly had the rest of the sets from that year. I don't know if the yellow castle was even still available then. I remember seeing it later in a catalog and remember thinking, "Oh wow, an older castle. And it's yellow :roll:. " So, I was accustomed to what castle had become by then. And, therefore, I don't get that nostalgic feeling from it. My loss I guess.

But that being said, if I was to find one at, say, a garage sale, I'd be all over it. :D

Sean
"All my life I've had one dream...to acheive my many goals." - HJS

Visit my Brickshelf gallery.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=108432
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

if I was to find one at, say, a garage sale, I'd be all over it.
Lol, me to.
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Yes, I would buy it if I had the chance! I would pay up to 100 pounds for it I suppose.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Since Architect gave us the all clear to dig up old set reviews, I felt the urge to review this excellent set.
The yellow castle is the jewl in LEGO's crown. The lack of specialized pieces would not appeal to many children nowadays. However, to us true FOL's, this set was the the epitome of versatility; simple bricks which could be used to make infinite different fortresses. This is not to say that it did not have its sparkling specials: the figures are sought after by AFOLs all around.
In conclusion, this 10/10 set is one of the greatest that LEGO has ever produced.
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

I really like the assortment of figs with this set. There are four interesting, distinct, "historic" factions with nary an obviously evil opposition to be seen. This very nicely allows one to easily face-off or join forces between them according to your whim, and the fact that each knight has two soldiers really fills out the ranks and makes for some nice battle dynamics.

I think Lego looked at the four faction element of this set when planning the KK2 fiasco, but missed the point by jellybeaning them into power-ranger type figures, instead of individual knights with their squires. The classic knights begged to be army built, while the KK2 knights made it nigh impossible. Hopefully they will take this into consideration in any future expansion of the upcoming crown knight sets.

It's really too bad they they haven't "updated" this legend, I think if they made it in tan or gray, retained the heraldry, and substituted the pointy visor for the classic one, they'd have a very popular S@H exclusive.
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Nick wrote:Yes, I would buy it if I had the chance!
I too am looking for one of these babies. I have been watching the recent ebay auctions and they go for a lot of money.

I guess that is because the set is fantastic in its design. If only I bought one when I was a child.

Rating: 10/10
Tolwyn
Gong Farmer

Re: Weekly Set Review: Yellow Castle

Post by Tolwyn »

Huh.
I actually have this complete set. With all the figures. And parts.

Some of the stickers are worn, but can easily be recreated via some sites out there.
Bandit
Laborer

Post by Bandit »

Tolwyn wrote:Huh.
I actually have this complete set. With all the figures. And parts.

Some of the stickers are worn, but can easily be recreated via some sites out there.
LUCKKKKKY!!!!!! Yellow Castle is (I think) one of the best because it's yellow and look at all of those minifigs! Just buy four of those sets and you have a small army! Eight and your Yellow Castle Soldiers probably rule your basement like no other! That is assuming that anyone actually has eight Yellow Castles.
Question: Why do we drive in PARKways and park in DRIVEways?
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

When I first discovered this set on the internet, I thought "meh". then I found some parts for a REALLY good deal on Bricklink, and since then (Roughly four years now) I have loved this set, and just recently I got it for a fair price, especially since all of the stickers were in exellent condition.

As for the set, the only down fall I can think of is nothing. Even the fact that it is yellow is a good thing for people like me. I have very little grey (All four shades), and more yellow than all of those greys put together, so making castles in yellow, IMO, is much easier.

Then there is the figs! You get a whole army in just this set alone, though sadly they come in no other set, but that is what Bricklink is for. Then there are three other factions having a knight and a soldier, which combined, makes them almost equal to the guys in the castle.

All in all, I give this set a 11 out of 10.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Vilmar
Villein

Post by Vilmar »

For heavens sake don't over mystify this castle. Most of us could build it our selves with our own lego pieces. The minifigs are nice but this is not a jaw-dropping set. This set is like looking at an old black-and-white micky mouse animation like tugboat micky or something. It is poor quality, fragile, and by todays standards uninvetive. HOWEVER, it has something going for it. Nogilista, it is a beautiful simple, easy to edit creation. It stands alone, because there is nothing like it. You have to appreciate that. All these new castles have chain-raising bridges, proper color scemes, euro armor, collasping walls, and all that nonsense. looking at this set, you just want to build a little 16x16 fort, or a 32x32 castle, that if I ever get a camera, I will post my creations
Vilmar the Drow lord
lefty
Villein

Post by lefty »

Honestly, this guy's right. All I see it people complain about the new sets and their BURPS and panels and stuff and how unusable they are for building castles... And this set is? Even the new preschool castle set uses more advanced building techniques than this set. Nostalgia really is the only thing going for this castle, other than the large amount of figs.

That said, I'd like to see a remake, with arches and modern one-piece horses, just to see what Lego would do.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Vilmar wrote:Nogilista
Nogilista would be a very (very!) good reason to mystify this set.
And Recsept! You ought to recsept the elder sets, the roots of what there is today.

Buy!
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill