Weekly Set Review: [MOC] Blacksmith Shop

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

I must say, when it first came out in 2001/2002, I thought it was too expensive to justify buying it, so I only bought the other 2 sets (10000 and 10039). Now i regret! :)

I like its details and how it opens up nicely, and that its made mainly out of generic bricks and not pre-moulded parts. My biggest complain that it is too big compared to most of the lego castle stuff out there, and I still like the guarded inn better.

I also think that Daniel Siskind's other creations, especially his Vlad Tower and Guarded Church, seem like better MOCs/sets than this one, but this is a great set in itself.
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Best... castle... set... ever...

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Second...best...set...ever!

Awesome piece count, and a great assortment of bricks. While the Blacksmith's shop is a favorite of mine, I still hold 6074 in higher regard for its unbeatable selection of corner walls. The Blacksmith shop is pretty awesome, but BFF is beyond reproach
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Wow, this is a great adition to my lego city for my story. I will defanately try to buy one of these. :D

P.I
Sire Forrest
Serf

Post by Sire Forrest »

I like it very much. The house seems very rustic.
Do they sell that set any more?
Classic-Castle.com is great.
Ernst1963
Gong Farmer

Re: Weekly Set Review: [MOC] Blacksmith Shop

Post by Ernst1963 »

Since I started collecting Lego again some 18 months ago, this set was high on my list but hard to find or simply too expensive. Two weeks ago I finally found it, complete with box for a reasonable price. So after more than 5 years a new review for this great set, my first here.

A wonderfull set, certainly in perspective of the time it was brought out. Put together with The Guarded Inn, you have a small old school Lego version of The Medieval Market Village. Looking at it, 10 years old now, you wonder "why didn't I think of this?" Compared with the wonderfull MOC's you see, this looks a very simple set but that is probably the strength of it. The best part of the set is in my view the detailed interior and the good color setting.

Opposite to the theme before this set, KK1 with a lot of big wall parts, Daniel used only oldfashioned small bricks which is great building. You build 2 opposite sites of the house connected with hinges. The base is the Blacksmiths workshop with a stairway to the first floor. There you find a bedroom and on the other side a livingroom with a table, chair and a winebarrel. The second floor is a small loft where he hides the treasurebox. Back of the house has a chimney for both the fireplace in the workshop and the living space. A great detail is the use of the pillars to stud the ceilings.

No outstanding parts, but that's logical considering it is a MOC made of parts collected from older sets. Proof of that is for example the use of windows coming from different periods : the small old style red windows, the newer round ones and the windows with shutters. Overall all nice parts usefull for other Castle MOC's and 2 very nice minifigures, especially the Maiden.

Still expensive but a must have for the true Castle collector.

Value for Money: 4/5
Parts: 4/5
Design: 5/5
Alternate models: 5/5
Play Experience: 4/5
Last edited by Ernst1963 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can built a Castle, now I want to MOC a Castle.
captainamerica
Peasant

Post by captainamerica »

The thread that won't die!!!

I, like everybody else, love this set. Nothing to add to all the full-throated praise heaped upon this worthy jem in the Lego Kingdom.

Thanks for recalling this thread Ernst1963. I just re-built this set(maybe for the 7th time) last week, prepping myself for a marathon market village/mill village raid marathon build, but the divine awesomeness of this set overwhelmed me. My MMV & MVR still sit, unopened, in the closet and I have been consumed with blacksmith shop-inspired MOC-fever.
'more Legos than sense'
Aeridian
Councilor
Location: A wanderer, for home is where the food is good and the company is better.

Post by Aeridian »

I was a bit young when that set came out and sadly I didn't get it. :( But soon after the MMV came out I wasted little time in purchasing it. It's still one of my favorite, if not favorite sets. I also got the MVR a year ago, and that was pretty cool too. I must say I much as I like all the castles and armies, I really enjoy the villages with the peasants and their simple lives. I hope Lego will make more in the way of village/farm type buildings.
So, back on topic, this looks like an amazing set, the design and playability is great. Maybe someday I'll be able to get it. :tasty:
~ Ductus Exemplo ~
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeridian/]Flickr[/url]