Weekly Set Review: [MOC] Blacksmith Shop

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

This set shows what you can do with LEGO in terms of making a complete building rather than a set or stage. So much of what TLC designs itself is structured around allowing children to be able to get in and play on the set. This revolves more around making a complete interior and exterior.

The only problem with it is that it is difficult to integrate it with the standard sets, and you have to place it against a larger MOC Castle to keep it in scale.

It's a different approach, and it's uniqueness is evident when juxtaposed to the standard LEGO sets. I can't give it anything less than a 10 out of 10 - it was a great price on top of being an outstanding set!
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This is a great model. For some reason I hesitate calling it a "set", while it actually IS one, of course. However, the MOCish nature of this set can't be hidden and that's a good thing. I already liked the model when I saw it on Daniel's webpage for the first time though I wasn't too fond of the blue roof. But Dan designed the model with the parts that were easily available and he did a marvellous job!

The official LEGO set has some disadvantages compared to the original custom set. Most prominent are the figs in this respect. The KK1 fig doesn't make for a good blacksmith, a black hair piece with brown hair print on the face doesn't fit too well, either. I'd have liked the original Dark Forest fig better. On the other hand the blacksmith's wife that's in the official set 3739 is my favourite female fig of all. Its face in particular.
Furthermore I liked the grey octagonal columns that were on the chimney of the custom set better than the ordinary round bricks in 3739. Though naturally the round bricks are more versatile, so it's arguable if their use is really a disadvantage.

Anyway, overall it's a very good set.

Bye
Jojo

This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
howie
Serf

Post by howie »

i love this set. When it came out i got it as fast as i could. It's a great set, nice little house, and every lego town needs a good blacksmith. But i dont rly like the lady that comes with it. I'm not to fond of that type of body (like the witch body...which i lost somewhere).
8.5/10
howie-
BTW does anyone have a link to Dan's site? I've been there before but i'm not sure of how to get there anymore.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I just got this in the mail yesterday and put it together soon afterwards. Usually when you anticipate a set this much, there is at least some dissapointment. That was not the case this time. One of the best sets Lego has put out in years.

By the way, I think the address is www.brickmania.com
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

On topic however, this is a FANTASTIC set that I missed out on. I remember checking the Shop @ Home site every few days and considering buying it only to talk myself out of it. Today I'd have snatched it up in a heart beat.
>Sigh<

I feel your pain... the exact same thing happened to me... now I know I'll be doomed to buy it from e-bay at some amazing price... :-(

Lessoned learned though... never put off for tomorrow a lego set you can buy today!
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

I think this is one of the best sets EVER. Lots of useful pieces, and over 600+ pieces packed on to a 16x16 footprint! This is probably the set that spawned all sorts of tudor house MOCs, as well as numerous MOCs that opened up via a hinge in the fireplace. Even though this set is relatively recent, I'd say it would be an excellent candidate to be a LEGEND.

-Bryan
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

That set is beautiful, makes you wonder why proffesional lego designers can think of that :D
Patron of the lego
Archer

One the best sets I have ever seen, it is very well built and if you don't want to use as a blacksmith use it as a manison! 10/10
I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

One day off from being exactly 2 years old. I wasn't here at that point though, and since it's here...I find this set to be great. It's the kind of thing I wish I had ten or twenty of, because just the building by itself can be so easily adapted to so many useful things.

10/10

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Wish that I had this set. Wish that I had the talent to make something like this. Overall, wish that LEGO made sets like these outside of the MOC line.

Now, if only I could find a magic lamp...
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

I wonder how I missed this last time it was up..oh well. It was a great set, and pieces source (fabulous cost per brick by TLC standards). The only things that dampen this set for me are:
a) So many variants have been built it almost seems generic now...
b) Lego didn't ask me to contribute to the MOC line...

God Bless,

Nathan
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Ah! It was THIS set that really truly broke my dark age. This in the Legends Castle Three pack offered by S@H was what brought me back to LEGO and castle especially, my true LEGO love.

The set itself is undeniably MOC-ish making it a superb buy for the parts. As Jo-Jo noted above some of the parts were changed up a bit, but one can't really complain when LEGO made someone's MOC into a set and sold it for a decent price! Thanks LEGO for the re-introduction of me to your product, and thank you Daniel Siskind!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

This has to be my favorite set of all time!

I, like my brother, say that the three-pack of legends brought me first, out of my dark ages, and two, into castle on the whole. This was my favorite of the three(why I did not know at the time), and it has continued to be that way.

Exterior:
This set has a great exterior look! I think that it is the best medieval life set. The bottom floor is really cool. I like the use of the big windows. Really cool! The upstairs is really nice, can you say tudor?! The roof and chimney are both really cool.

Interior:
I really like the interior as well. The shop downstairs is really nice. The pillar/mechandise holder is well-placed. I like the furnace/fireplace, too. The anvil is nice. The upstairs is neat, too. I like the table, and the beer-barrel (I'm guessing) is a really cool idea! The bed and barrel are nice. THe fence by the stairs is very realistic.

Figs & accessories:
Awesome! I like how he used the KK1 torsos (and dress) but changed the figs enough. The wife and blacksmith look a little too rich, though. The accessories are one of my major attractions, I think. This set gave me my bugle, and started my with some of my first LEGO Castle weapons.

All-round great set! This set is my longest-standing set. I finally took it down after is be-ing cunstructed for over 2 years!

Hope this helps!
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Lord Felix
Landlord

Post by Lord Felix »

Because I was younger when this came out, and because I stopped paying attention to what lego was producing (Bad. Don't do it), I missed all the re-releases and the Blacksmith Shop

I generally consider this "Set" as the most overused in displays set. I see it in almost every display, and, because of building styles and abilities, it really sticks out. As a set for parts, it is amazing. Excellent set.
10/10
100/100
999,999/1,000,000 (Just because I don't own one :wink: )
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dandin]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8499398@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/candlemusic]My Band: Candle[/url]
Patron of the lego
Archer

A lot of pieces a little price! Good structure arnd minifigures! I like it!
10/10 I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all