Weekly Set Review: LEGO Chess Promotional Set

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Kozai13
Peasant

Post by Kozai13 »

Wish I had this. Cool little set. Nice pieces...
Matt

Check out my brickshelf account:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Matman13

And my brickset profile:
http://www.brickset.com/profile/default.aspx?user=Matman13
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Different king. Too bad its the same old goofy crown. Lego really needs to design another one of these. Its been 10+ years after all, and it wasn't as if this was a great design anyway.

Not much to this set. Nothing you couldn't make with spare parts.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

One of the sets I wanted the most. Great fig except the crown. The throne is also pretty cool.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

The Chess King!

My son and I both had to get a copy of this game for the figure and the game, of course. LEGO Chess was pretty goofy, like the reeeeeeeaaallly old Battle Chess game, but with goofy LEGO graphics and silly Pirate/Wild West etc. action. The Toys R Us near us back then had them for $10 eaches, so I felt it was a bargain.

I think I may have switched his arms for black to match the KK1 knight minifigure; he abdicated the throne for King Leo to ascend. :lol:

Good set to have in the collection, LEGO should do more video game promo sets like this, or even for cereal boxes and those LEGO fruit snacks.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Robin Hood wrote:Well I thinks its ok. Nothing grand but I really wanted it when I first saw it. Never got, (still don't have it) but I think that it was a nice bonus for a CD-ROM. When I first saw it, the only other king was the Royal Knight one and he was a bit boring. This was a nice change.

Dan :wink:
I did like the RK king more for the plume on the crown and the regal looking body length cloth cape. If you use the RK king from the Royal Carriage set, where he is all white, the effect is quite dramatic compared to the other 6 crowned king figures.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Great figure and decent throne, I wish I had gotten this set. I could see picking up a few. Good set.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

I remember seeing this set by itself (without the chess game) in a store and liking the idea that for $2 I got a decent minifig, 6 of those 1X1 round top things in red, and a silver crystal.

In the fall of 2002 a Pamida store close to my parents' house had several of these. I was quite happy when they soon went on clearance for $1.50. Then a while later when they advertised their clearance toys being 50% off of the clearance price, I went there and wiped them out of their Chess Kings.

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter