No votes
6090 Royal Knight's Castle
56%

Total votes: 16

castlebrickman
Apprentice

Fav Royal Knights Sets?????????

Post by castlebrickman »

My fav is 6078 Royal Drawbridge its cool with the little raft and the two towers :D
Visit my site www.piratebricks.com
The LEGO Pirate Resource!!!
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Another poll :? . Hmmm...

I don't really like any of the Royal Knights sets. They mark a real decline in Lego quality, and don't really add anything to the Castle line.

That being said, the best of the lot has to be Skeleton Surprise. It was fairly cheap, and comes with a reasonable selection of parts. The design, well not anything to write home about, is infinitely superior to any of the other Royal Knights sets.

Not a hard choice really.

Later.
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

I would haft ta say royal drawbridge also, I never bought it but saw it at a friends house and thought it looked really kool :D .
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

I'm all about pointing out the decline of Lego quality, but what was wrong with the castle? That was a really good looking castle. Granted, it came with visors without euro armor (my biggest beef with Royal Knights), but the castle itself was very solid.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Skeleton surprise. I like both for sentamental reasons and for its pieces. Its a great set, if somewhat weird design, NO KING. Also it was for awhile the only Royal Knight building I owned and I really loved it.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

This was my first LEGO ever.
I got every set there except for the boat, catapult and skeleton surprise. I liked the castle because it has the most stuff.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

My favorite set would have to be the castle, aside from the nice gateshouse and the only decent large molded baseplate, the castle also came with the Royal barding great flags and the royal cape.

Royal Knights did mark a decline as far as set design, but it was still far superior to any lines that have followed since. The Royal Knights castle was also superior to any of the DM sets.

I always liked the Royal Knights lion. Sure it was cartoony, but LEGO is a toy and the Royal Knights captured the great pagentry associated with the medieval period. If only they had made a jousting set for this line...

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I have this set. Its the first of the really big Lego Castles. Looked great, but more like a home than a fortress.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

JPinoy wrote:Its the first of the really big Lego Castles.
??? Isn't the Black Knight's Castle about that big? Also the King's Castle and the Black Monarch's Fortress....
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I have both the Royal Knight's Castle and the Black Knight's Castle, and at one time had the King's Castle. I can say with some certainty that the Royal Knight's castle is the largest castle space wise (and I believe piece wise as well).

I voted for the Royal Knight's castle simply because it is the best of the Royal Knight's sets. However, I do think it was a worse castle than the 6086. The main problem is the fact that the 6090 only has one wall of any significance. Both the left, right, and rear walls are dangerously low, the King's tower is very fragile, and there is a lack of steps or ladders in the whole structure (I don't consider the rising back wall by the tower to be stairs).

Yes, the castle looks impressive from the front, but it is severely deficient everywhere else. I also always felt the castle to be under-maned. The 6080, 6085, and 6086 all came with more soldiers despite being smaller in size.

Bottom line, if you like the Royal Knight's, this is THE set to get. But if you're looking for the best Lego castle, you have to go with 6086 (unless you hate ramp and pit plates, to which I'd defer you to the 6080).
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Castlebrickman,

Please read the Proper Posting for "LEGO Castle Sets":

viewtopic.php?t=233

We try to only have one active poll at a time in order to allow focus on the main poll. Waiting a week or so to post another poll would be better. So I will lock this poll for now and probably unlock it in a few days when the Wolfpack poll conversation has died down.

Also all members should not use too many question marks (or other punctuation) in order or too many emoticons in order. It can be annoying to read. Thanks.

Ben E.