Weekly Set Review: Crossbow Boat

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Crossbow Boat

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 1752/1804/2892 Crossbow Boat.

Crossbow Boat, released in 1996 for the Royal Knights, is the smallest LEGO Castle boat. It comes with one soldier, two crossbows, and a shield. The European boxed version of this set was 1752 while 1804 was the American polybag. 2892 was released in Japan by Kabaya in 1998.

forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

Well, there isn't really anything special about this boat. It comes with two rows, a shield, a fig, and two cross bows. Not THAT great of a set. A 6.5/10

EDIT: :oops: I don't kinow what I was thinking say "two rows". Two OARS. I'm soo stupid. :oops:
Last edited by forester3291 on Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Space rocks.
britsrule
Serf

Post by britsrule »

out of ten id give it a 9, its got a good sheild :D , a minifig :D and two oars and two cross bows. If only i had bought a lot ot these when they were availiable...*sigh*

o==)==britsrule==>
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Really, this isn't a bad set. You get a figure, 2 oars, 2 crossbows and a shield for about $2. Seems like a fair deal. Still, I'm not big on the goofy cartoon lion, so...

6/10
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

It's a small set.

Actually I don't know what else I'm supposed to say about it. Except, maybe, that this is the only set that I have got with three different versions of instructions (1752, 1804 and 2892).

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Nice little army builder set. Not sure how practical the crossbows attached to the boat would be, though.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

The boat is small and not very good. The only reason to get this is for the figure. Comes with two crossbows and a shield. Unfortunately, the soldier they give you looks like he should be carrying a sword or spear, not a crossbow.

Unless you're buying this for extra soldiers, this set isn't worth while.

4 of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
evil meister
Peasant

Post by evil meister »

Fig: 8/10
Weapon selection: 5/10
Design:3/10

Good fig Boats not much use though. NIce shield, needs a sword for the fig.

overall 7/10

good for building armies and weapons
"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

Not that impressive. Two crossbows and a shield. No sword or other weapon makes it rather worthless as an army builder, unless your army is full of crossbowmen. Nice fig.. thats it

5/10
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
Nathendricks428
Villein

set review

Post by Nathendricks428 »

This would be a good set to buy along with a larger one.

6-7 out of 10 maybe?

-Nathendricks428
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

How the heck is this guy supposed to fire those crossbows when he's busy rowing?? :roll:

Sounds like a slightly better version of the cannon-in-a-rowboat-syndrome.

5/10
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

This is not a "Crossbow Boat." It's an Escape and Life Raft.

First of all, let's address the obvious. The guy has left whatever saftey the hole he was hiding in afforded him and has jumped into a one-man dinghy - he HAS to be desperate at this point.

I mean, look. The guy is rowing in the boat, right? Ok, well, to those who are uninformed - when rowing a boat, the direction you are facing is the opposite direction in which you travel.

So.

The dude is not rowing looking out for trouble. The dude is running for his life! I mean, look at what you have. You have a guy rowing his little dinghy with a shield and crossbows facing the rear of the boat.

Granted, if the crossbows were facing the other direction they'd be pretty useless in a fight, cause he'd have to turn around to use them.

Now I don't know how many of you have ever been in a raft or canoe, but it takes a good amount of time to actually turn 180 degrees. A lot more time than it would take for an arrow to make contact with our unfortunate rower.

No, the shield and weapons are facing the rear of the boat to protect the rower from his pursuers. The shield protects him from incomming arrows and the crossbows give him two rounds of return fire.

Godspeed, soldier.

--Anthony
Last edited by SavaTheAggie on Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

:lol: Nice one, Sava.

A cute li'l set, I can imagine a fleet of these guys rowing away with Black Seas Barricuda on their tails...

9/10
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

When he tries to fire the crossbows, he's going to drop the oars. What the heck is the point of this, its way to small to do any good against a larger ship. Stupid set. I bet the Kabaya candy was more fun.

1/10
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

He wouldn't drop the oars if the boat had loops on it like this: --|O--(O). That's pretty crude, but (O) is the paddle, and | is a bar larger than the loop the oar fits through. Anyway, 4/10. 7/10 for the price if it came with a sword and a midsection.