Solid vs hollow stud round bricks on castle sets

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jyp
Peasant

Solid vs hollow stud round bricks on castle sets

Post by Jyp »

Hello,

I've a question about bricks 1 × 1 round with solid versus hollow stud on first Legoland castle sets.

I own 677 and 383 sets with solid studs, others with hollow stud. They were bought on eBay, so I cannot know how "original" they are.
Peeron's site gives:
- solid stud for 383 and 677 sets (i.e. sets sold between 1979 and 1983, and in Europe);
- hollow stud for 6083 and 6077 sets (i.e. sets sold between 1981 and 1983, and in US/Canada).

On a other hand, still according to Peeron's site:
- solid stud were used in sets before 1980;
- hollow stud ware used in sets from 1980.

So, my question:
Are my 383/677 sets with hollow stud not original (rebuilt)? Or are they for example 6083/6077 bought in US/Canada and put in a 383/677 box before being sold on eBay?

Or may:
- 383/677 sets made until 1979 be with solid stud round bricks;
- both 383/677 and 6083/6077 made after 1979 be with hollow stud round bricks
(i.e. the stud can help to date a set)?

Thanks!
(I hope the question haven't be answered before, I found nothing on the other topics)
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

Is my question so stupid??... :? :cry:
psu_ericksen
Foot Soldier

Post by psu_ericksen »

I would guess that your older sets with hollow studs are not original. I believe that the change was made to hollow studs on 1 x 1 rounds (and also minifig heads) in order to decrease the choking hazard. Therefore, I think that the studs can help date a set and also tell if it is original.

Sean
"All my life I've had one dream...to acheive my many goals." - HJS

Visit my Brickshelf gallery.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=108432
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

Thanks for your answer! :)
I believe that the change was made to hollow studs on 1 x 1 rounds (and also minifig heads) in order to decrease the choking hazard.
Indeed, that's what I read and I noticed, especially with minifig heads.
fcarcanague
Laborer

Post by fcarcanague »

Jyp wrote:Thanks for your answer! :)
I believe that the change was made to hollow studs on 1 x 1 rounds (and also minifig heads) in order to decrease the choking hazard.
Indeed, that's what I read and I noticed, especially with minifig heads.
I'm not too sure about the choking hazard having anything to do w/the stud being hollow. If that were the case then ALL 1x1 bricks should have been made w/hollow studs, even the "square" ones. It would be relativly safe to assume the hollow studs as an anti-choking hazard would be to allow air to pass thru in the event they are inhaled or ingested. Since there is no set way for these items pass thru the windpipe, whats not to say they don't go down sideways blocking the hollow parts. Now there is that choking hazard again.
My best guess is that they were made hollow to use less ABS. And since Technic and Bionicle have elimated most all studs this does save ABS and money for TLG.
Hope that helps
Fred
Please visit updates once in a while
http://www.carcanague.com/
Need more Spare Parts [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Carcanague]Spare Bricks 4 You[/url]
psu_ericksen
Foot Soldier

Post by psu_ericksen »

fcarcanague wrote:If that were the case then ALL 1x1 bricks should have been made w/hollow studs, even the "square" ones. It would be relativly safe to assume the hollow studs as an anti-choking hazard would be to allow air to pass thru in the event they are inhaled or ingested. Since there is no set way for these items pass thru the windpipe, whats not to say they don't go down sideways blocking the hollow parts. Now there is that choking hazard again.
True, but I think that the throat would close completly around a round brick more readily than it would around a square brick. And while there is no set way for a round brick to become lodged, the fact that the stud is hollow increases the probably that an air pasage, however slight, may remain open, giving you a few critical extra seconds.

Sean
"All my life I've had one dream...to acheive my many goals." - HJS

Visit my Brickshelf gallery.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=108432
Jojo
Master

Re: Solid vs hollow stud round bricks on castle sets

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Classic sets with hollow studs on 1x1 round bricks are original. They are just not from the very first production run.
Jyp wrote:Or may:
- 383/677 sets made until 1979 be with solid stud round bricks;
- both 383/677 and 6083/6077 made after 1979 be with hollow stud round bricks
(i.e. the stud can help to date a set)
1x1 Round bricks with solid studs were used until 1979. About that year they changed the production but still used their remaining stock of the old (solid studded) bricks.

I once opened a MISB set 542 Street Crew, a set from 1979, thus from the same year as 383 and 677. I was quite surprised to find both 1x1 round bricks with solid studs and with hollow studs in the same bag:

This means: Also 383 and 677 can be original with both hollow studs and with solid studs on 1x1 round bricks.

The reason why they changed the studs on 1x1 round bricks from solid to hollow is probably not that they wanted to decrease production costs. I guess they rather wanted to increase the number of building techniques. With hollow studs you are able to shift bricks by 1/2 stud.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

My built once 677/6077 (American 1981 version) had a blue solid stud 1x1 round brick but the yellow was hollow. So I agree with Jojo and tend to agree that they could have either or both during the transition.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

What a really very precise answer, Jojo!! It answers perfectly!
I once opened a MISB set 542 Street Crew, a set from 1979, thus from the same year as 383 and 677.
My built once 677/6077 (American 1981 version) had a blue solid stud 1x1 round brick but the yellow was hollow.
:shock: I think it is only believable while opening a MISB!

Other ways to date a set or check its originality: color of minifig hands (the yellow color of early minifig hands is clearer, the plastic is a little more translucent, than the yellow of other bricks or later hands -- 198???) or smile on the faces (thick prints before 198???).
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I think it is only believable while opening a MISB!
It was from an estate sale with only 3 lego sets all in boxes which were never played with. All pieces did not have any scratches. So unless someone else has a misb 6077 that they want to open, I think my set is how they were.

Ben
Count Blockula
Villein

Post by Count Blockula »

I'm pretty certain that real reason the studs were made hollow was to make them easier to remove from other parts, particularly the minifig neck. When a round 1x1 (head or regular brick) is on a neck and has a solid stud, it is harder to remove because of the vacuum that is created inside. Making the stud hollow fixes that problem. The choking hazard thing is just an urban legend/myth kinda' thing. After all, the round Technic ball joint part is almost a perfect sphere, and that has no hole completely through it. Same thing with the basketballs/soccer balls, and those are spheres.