Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's River Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Nicholas
Gong Farmer

Post by Nicholas »

My first large castle set, greatly loved and played with.
in my mind the best forestmen set.
That it can be opened for play rather than just being hollow in the back is great, and the that you can enter (or escape) it from the river by boat or by swimming is exellent, makes for great play, this Lion Knight is bount to have great adventures.
Kings come and kings go, but one thing remains the same, and that is Me.
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

I usually don't like the Forestmen, but this set is THE exeption!

I agree with one who wrote about the poor interior: what a pity!! And that more especially as the sliding gate, the general design, the accessories, the raft, the prison (good idea!) are really very well. A second floor would be very better, but I imagine that this is an old tower, an abandoned ruin which Forestmen are refitting in the forest.

I would have liked too: some small islands (like in a marsh) made by small green baseplates on the blue large baseplate.

9/10

So good as Wilod King wrote in capital letters to express his enthusiasm !! :lol:
No catapult?!?!
LOL!! :lol:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

One of my all-time favourite sets, even considering that I have never owned it or seen it in person. Very well-designed, and visually appealing. A nice assortment of figs and weapons ("decorative" shields are always great to have). I love the raft! There are also several other useful pieces, including 32 x 32 baseplate, foliage, and the target.

Parts: 9/10
Playability: 9/10
Figs/Accessories: 9/10
Design (universal): 9/10
Design (contemporary): 9/10
Nostalgia: 9/10

Overall score: 9/10 (A)
Last edited by Formendacil on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I think this is a great set. Lots of minifgs, blue baseplate, barrels, arrow target, all great items to add to a collection. I think that the second model in the instructions is pretty cool too. I also like having foliage to add to designs. I would rate this one 9/10.
SirBert.
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I love the forestmen sets in general. This one is perhaps a little questionable for melding a castle and a tree. But I'd still snag this in a heartbeat - forestmen sum up adventure and freedom and keep me young at heart. 9/10.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Sir Andrew of Florida
Villein

Post by Sir Andrew of Florida »

I dont own this set but all in all I like it alot! All those forestmen and a knight plus some good peices and the blue baseplate. Very nice
9/10
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

First set I ever owned, and the reason for my love of LEGO.

The best Forestmen set ever made.

Absolutely a 10/10

Life is Good.
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

It has great figs, bases and all.
9/10.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Everything has been said... I am late again!

Anyway... this set is sooo creative - everything a forestman's hideout should have is included here... and the baseplate rocks!
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
heikoloogi
Gong Farmer

Post by heikoloogi »

Hi,
I do not like this set. I think it is the most ugly forest men set LEGO ever produced. Especially the flat back of the building is a thing I do not like. Why does the prisoner is standing in the water? And I disagree with JoJo, the lion knight did not fought alone, I would think that the forest men captured him. The little raft is fun.
4 /10

Bye Heiko
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

I recently bought this set of Ebay off a good price, and I was very happy with the results. However, it keeps falling apart at the base, and from what I can tell it won't get put together without alot of trouble. I ended up putting it in a drawer until I decide whether to rebuild it or scrap it. I could probably build something sturdier; but I do have something against disassembling old sets...Any suggestions?

Playability: 9/10

Design: 6/10

Figs/accessories: 9/10 (Great selection!)

Design then: 8/10

Design now: 9/10
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

There aren't very many LEGO castle sets that just strike me as pure awesomeness(very few now). I mean, even many of the bigger, awesome, older castles did inspire many an adventure(well, at least the idea of many an adventure; BFF is the only old castle set I really own), but there were few to which my response was "wow." This was one of them. Wish I had it.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Silent Arrow
Villein

Post by Silent Arrow »

When I saw this set on the shelves of the shops during 1992 I didn't like it because there was no way to connect it with my other large castles. That's why I didn't buy it.

Now I have understood than I made a terrible mistake... Here in Greece only this set and the hollow tree were pure forestmen - sets. For this reason I only have five forestmen. I lost the opportunity to make them ten.....
Thank god a friend of mine had bought it then (1992), so I remember it well.
Norro
Councilor

Re: Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's River Fortress

Post by Norro »

I always wanted this set and finaly got a MISB copy 2 years ago. It remained mint for approximately 2 minutes...

A beautiful set!

God Bless,

Nathan
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

Post by Hothir Ethelnor »

I own this set and I think it is a great set the only thing I don't like about it are the lack of any interior and the back is very plain

I would give it a 8/10
"The lad parried it, and leaping back, struck at the horse's leg. The animal fell instantly, and as he did so Archie struck full on the helm of Sir John Kerr" Excerpt from, In Freedoms Cause by G.A Henty