Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's River Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Brik Masta
Foot Soldier

Post by Brik Masta »

One set I hope to be able to get my hands on. I give it 9/10, but I don't have the set so I can't make a good inspection of its pro's and con's.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

A good set. I got this right after it came out for Christmas from my Grandparents. I really loved this set. Was sad it was a last hurrah for the forestmen line though. It had a very good look to it that fit in nice with the existing forestmen sets. I made a small forest with them all together. Was a great deal of fun. Wish I had them up still.

I'd rank this at the top of whatever system in use.

H
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Great set, loved it. Wished I had kept it together but I went through a few moves over the years. 10/10.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I enjoyed the hinged construction. No open parts to this set. It was solid from all sides! Look and learn designers!
Domino Gloria!
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

I honestly think this is one of the best sets Lego ever released. Of course part of it is nostalgic reasons, it's one of those sets that I always wanted as a kid and only recently got. But also looking back at this set now, it's just very well designed, it's playable, has a great selection of parts and minifigs, it's just awesome :D
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

I love the style of this set. A 'hidden keep'. The shields are really cool, I sadly only have one :(
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

I really like all the forestmen sets and this is no exception. Great baseplate,lots of plants, and a ton of figures. The construction is very appealing. I'd love to see the new stuff try something similar to this.
Jibbajaba
Laborer

Post by Jibbajaba »

I think this might have been my second big Lego set. The first couple of sets I got were Futuron sets, followed by Black Monarch's Castle, and then I believe I got this one so that the castle dudes had someone to fight.

I love this set for sentimental reasons and also because it's a great set. The Forestmen line was awesome, and I wish they would bring them back.

Chris
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

I have this set...sort of. A friend gave me an old, used-to-the-point-of-falling-apart copy of the instructions, and I looked up the parts inventory on Bricklink and assembled it (sans minifigs) from my own collection plus a few special orders. I like the different things you can do with it once it's together, but the actual building part is kind of a pain because it's easy to miss small details in the instruction illustrations, and because the hinged walls feel very unstable until they're finished.
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I read through the last few posts and can do nothing but agree. This set reminds me why the Forestmen are my favorite faction in terms of sets. There are so many good things to say about this set. The only complaint I have is that the interior seems lacking, but I guess that was the norm for sets. Good memories for sure. You'd think that with such a fan base to this particualr faction, we'd see a future rehash in some form, be it fantasy or not....either way, I say Bring it on!!
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

I just picked this set up a few weeks ago actually. I was thoroughly impressed with the number of minifigs. Plenty of forestmen, but I liked that it also came with one guy from another faction as there are plenty of different scenarios you could come up with. I like the old overgrown look to it, like it was some abandoned castle that the forestmen converted to their home base.
insurrection
Laborer

Post by insurrection »

This is a set that I dreamed of as a kid... and as an adult.
How great was the feeling when i recently bought it!

Now I'w built "a little forest" togheter with the two (not the crossing) other forestmen sets, and I gets happy every time I look at it :D

Just swap the heads of the figs fore some with new faces and add a litte interior and this is... optimal.
Danarchy
Villein

Post by Danarchy »

I really enjoyed this set when I got it, because you could mess about with an interior there (Not much there to begin with, but ample room to build it yourself).
The raft was nice too and I can't really find anything wrong with it so full marks from me.
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

One of the first larger sets that I got. The interior may be nothing special but as an idea and collection of parts it is awesome. Furthermore it is perfect for displaying the secret castle in the lake or something similar.
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

I've never had the pleasure of owning this set, but it looks really nice. If LEGO ever releases some elven sets, I have high hopes that they will do something like this with them. The part count wasn't that high for this set, but that appears to be simply because of the substantial number of large parts. And it comes with plenty of minifigs, as well. I hope to someday recreate this set or something similar to it using the newer grey and brown parts, as well as perhaps dark green. Anyway, I give it two thumbs up.

My rating: 9/10