Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's River Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
marbri
Villein

Post by marbri »

I don't have this set, but I want it, but 'only' one lion knight :? ....
L€60 ©@$tL€ F0r L!f€
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

I have some very fond memories of this set placed in the middle of a forestman kingdom (back before i had many legos, and my lego fantasies were sustained by watching the lego worlds created by my cousins). The set has a good number of figures, and definitely an imaginative design. Perhaps the best part of the set was the amount of useful pieces available for other creations...
Pulsy
Serf

Post by Pulsy »

Dang, that's a lot better than today's csets of the same size.
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

I agree :D
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
Legoist
Peasant

Post by Legoist »

I never had this set, as I entered my dark ages around the time when the forestmen line was released.

From what I can see in pictures and instructions, it does seem like a great mid-size set. A very nice departure from the previous castles. The building itself is definitely nice both in look and in construction. I thought perhaps the inside is a bit cramped in space, but some previous comments mentioned that it's not, good. It's also great that such a set, which is not exactly massive, had 6 minifigs, it's a good number!

Thinking about it, there was certainly enough "room" for several factions in the Castle theme without going "fantasy": knights, forestmen, peasants, bandits. That's already 4 categories the first of which can of course be split in multiple factions.
Sir Prog
Laborer

Re: Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's River Fortress

Post by Sir Prog »

I never bought any of the later forestmen sets b/c 1) I was into other toys around the same time like Ninja Turtles, Dino-Riders, Micro Machines, etc, 2) LEGOs were still relatively expensive for a young child with no job, or perhaps 3) b/c even as a child I thought this design was simply a larger retread of the second forestmen [hideout] release, http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6054-1.

Because I never owned it and only saw pics from those 80s-style rectangular Lego magazines (MY FAVORITES!), I never saw many alternative angles that could further entice my desire to own.

Plus, during this specific release phase around the late 80s/early 90s phase, I [my parents] only ever bought me the sets that were on clearance.

Although I LOVE the blended tower grown over with greenery (you should have taken better notes, creators of the Troll Mountain Fortress! :orc: ), until I see more pics that convince me otherwise, this set is not as impressive from my perspective.

6.5/10
For the King's Castle!
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

I don't technically own this set as such but I did get some instructions from a car boot sale once.

still haven't got round to building it up yet but I'm sure i will soon

I like the way the back hinges open
eilonwy77
Archer

Post by eilonwy77 »

I actually had this as one of my few castle sets that I got when I was young. I remember liking it, but then I pretty much only ever built a set once, and then tore it apart to make new things. It did provide one of the two 32x32 baseplates that I have in my collection, as well as a large portion of the foliage that I own. And now that I'm looking back on it, the forestmen really are pretty cool. I liked them better than all the other sorts of knights, even as a kid. :-)
BiggerJim
Apprentice

Post by BiggerJim »

I loved this one when I was a kid. I was always a fan the sub-themes.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=biggerjim]My store[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/biggerjim/]My Flickr[/url]
MOC's come and go....But sorting is forever.
SevFalcon
Laborer

Post by SevFalcon »

Just another great Forestmen set. Here's hoping they'll get an updated treatment soon....
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

The "brave or stupid" Lion soldier is displayed there attacking a forestman in front of the fortress, but don't be mistaken, those days' sets rarely include two opposing forces all in one, the lion soldier is only here to fill the jail in the setup, he was never intended to strike on the fortress alone, and that's probably why he doesn't have any shield too.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

Great set. The forestmen are awesome though ther should be one more lion knight. The fortress itself is really cool. Baseplate could be better.

9/10