Weekly Set Review: Skeleton Surprise

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Skeleton Surprise

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6036 Skeleton Surprise.

Skeleton Surprise was released in 1995 for the Royal Knights. A soldier and a skeleton booby trap guard this castle wall section. Various accessories are included.

castlebrickman
Apprentice

yah

Post by castlebrickman »

Yes this set is so nice it comes with a lot of cool parts to start your castle village I give it a 9/10 :D :) 8)
Last edited by castlebrickman on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my site www.piratebricks.com
The LEGO Pirate Resource!!!
Thrall1138
Freeman

Post by Thrall1138 »

This seems like an ok set, it is a good way to get one of the 16x8 (it is 8 right?) baseplates, black wall sections with graphics, a skeliton, and a goblet. Not much else thow and only comes with one soldier and equipment. Has minor playability with the skeliton trap.

I give it an OK score.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :) /10
My Brickshelf Gallery: [url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Thrall1138[/url]
Heeck
Serf

Post by Heeck »

I had the set when I was younger, and my brother recently got a brand new, sealed set. Although not the most impressive set, it had it's good points. I think it is a nice little mini-base for the Royal Knights. The trick with the skeleton was quite amusing. I remember having the knights discover the little base, occupy it, and then run away scared. It has a nice black wall piece with grey colorings. An overall fun and useful set with a skeleton and Royal Knight. 9/10 then and 20/10 now.
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

This was the only Royal Knight set I didn't get. :cry:
It looks like a nice little fort with good figs though. 9/10
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I find this set quite boring. Yeah, a skeleton... *yawn*. And what's this structure meant for anyway? This is the first hint on the uninspired sets from the Fright Knights line.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

I actually don't mind skeleton surprise. Very much like Black Monarch's Ghost, this set was simply a way for kids to get a skeleton without shelling out a small fortune for 6090, or paying $30 for 6078. At the time, the skeleton was something unique. The design isn't anything special, but it does come with a number of useful parts.

For me, this set is probably the best of the Royal Knights line. Still, I would have preferred a set that was compatable with the modular format of the 1980s.

7/10

Later.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Quite a neat little set. I liked the Royal Knight, and as Blueandwhite said, skeletons were rare back then, so this was a cheap way of getting them. 10/10

OFF TOPIC: Thanks to the Admins for the name change! :D
kingkastle
Laborer

Post by kingkastle »

I myself never actually owned this set or any of the Royal Nights line. However small this set is it would still be a great set for building an army while also building a fortress for that army simultaneaously. From what i can tell there are three maybe four wall pieces included which at the time composed the majority of my castle creations. So for piece selection it gets an above average rating. As for playability well there never was a time when any of my lego sets stayed together for any more than a week, but I'll give it an average rating in this category. The design is fairly straight forward which in itself is not a bad thing, this isnt a fortress or something that needs to be big and flashy. I give it an okay rating in this category. So for my final decision this set gets an overall score of........................ 7/10
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

This is one of my favorite little sets. I remember having one as a kid. I really like that it is like a small little adveture in itself, kind of like Black Monarch's Ghost.

I think I'll build this one soon.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Nathendricks428
Villein

Post by Nathendricks428 »

This was not only my first castle set, but also one of my first sets ever. I vaguely remember my dad and I building and playing with it on my parents bed. I was about 3 or 4 years old. This is a great little set, and it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

10 out of 10.

-Nathendricks428
"Only the best is good enough"-Ole Kirk Christiansen, founder of LEGO.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I got this set a while back in a big lot from Ebay. The trick with the skeleton made me laugh, it was kind of clever. It is a modular set, but doesn't seem to fit in with anything. All in all, a weird little set.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
TheBohrok
Artisan

Post by TheBohrok »

I remember getting this set when it came and really liking it. The skeleton was neat new figure and I enjoyed playing with the trap feature. The set is rather plain, but it can work well with other sets. I would give it a 7/10.
Sir Andrew of Florida
Villein

Post by Sir Andrew of Florida »

Well I wouldnt buy the set by itself but maybe if you were building a army and a castle this set could be good. A skeleton and a knight plus some walls parts and stuff.

7/10
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Jojo wrote:And what's this structure meant for anyway?
I think it's a malosuem (SP?), and the skeleton is the remains of a previous Royal King, and the soilder is guarding it. This is done even today in the US, at the Tomb of the Unknown Soilder.

I got this set as gift when it first came out, and thought it was great. I still do. :D