Weekly Set Review: Dark Forest Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

The last hurrah of the DMs! This is one nice set. It must be wicked fun to play with!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Robin Hood wrote:Though TLC obviously didn't care about the faction part of things if they had two different shields on the same wagon. But then, those shields are very similar. Still bugs me though.

That always gets me to. Though I find the Royal Knight Bridge (6078) where the evil Dragon Master is defiling the good (in my world) Black Knight shield even more aggrevating.

At The time I thought this was overpriced (and if it wasn't then it definately is now : )

Now I would love more for parts... And I love the leather torso, my all time fav even if it only came in this too expensive set and the utterly ridiculous Hemlock Stronghold....

God Bless,

Nathan
Assassin
Villein

Post by Assassin »

I came across this set purely by chance in my local shop, I had heard about it previously on the net, but it was not supposed to be available in my country (NZ).

Then purely by chance I dropped into my local toy store, and he had several sets on the shelf. So I ended up buying 2 copies (both still complete). If I had realised at the time how rare the studded torso was I would have brought more. (And it has a brown horse, also supposed to be hard to get).

As for the parts, at that time it provided me with heaps of brown half arches and corner wall parts plus the reasonable amount of foliage (could still have used more though).

All in all, a good set then, it would rate excellent now.
cd536
Laborer

Post by cd536 »

I have two of them :lol: :lol: :lol: Bought them on clearance at TRUS.
Silent Arrow
Villein

Post by Silent Arrow »

Nice looking set. However I prefer the classic figures of the forestmen, I think that they were much better than these of this set. Nevertheless the concept of this set is really interesting......
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

I should be getting this set in the next few weeks (its on the way), and I should be able to make an educated assessment then. However, it does look nice as a set. I like the way the baseplate makes the trees look. I can't wait to get it.

Life is Good.
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

One of the last sets made that I actually wanted in my youth (about 12 at the time). I thought it to be over-priced at the time and never bought it though.

A friend of mine did have the set so I have seen it in person. Its smaller than I expected it to be. The wagon is nice, and the front of the set looks nice. However, I just don't like the cutaway design of the back (especially when compared to other Forestmen sets that were made in 3D, such as the Forestmen's Hideout or River Fortress). Overall though, I do wish I picked this up as a kid. I'll likely never get one these days.

7 of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Not a bad set given its vintage. I really like the layout of this set, allthough the construction could be a bit better. It genuinely feels like a forest fortress. The minifig assortment is also great. The cart is nothing to write home about, but it is nice to have it (Every bandit needs somebody to rob :wink: ).

8/10

Later.
quiksand
Peasant

Post by quiksand »

I would very much like to own this set. The one thing I regret in my Lego, well career I guess you could say, is that I didn't really have an interest in the forestmen type sets until after they were not availalbe on the retail market. Excellent set. Anyone have any extras just lying around, let me know, I'll take them off your hands :D

8/10
Why do you need all those minifigs? You'll poke your eye out!
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

This is a great set. The figs are great, the pieces too. My only complaint was the baseplate. I'm not too fond of the specialized baseplates....I prefer flat.
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

Post by Hothir Ethelnor »

I think this set is great! I really wish I could have this set I have wanted to start collecting this faction and if I do this will probably be the first set I buy.

I would give it a 9/10 because of the to DM soldiers which I don't think are of much use unless this is the only set you own.
"The lad parried it, and leaping back, struck at the horse's leg. The animal fell instantly, and as he did so Archie struck full on the helm of Sir John Kerr" Excerpt from, In Freedoms Cause by G.A Henty
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Hmm it is good for a few reasons, well one it fits the theme, two good amount of troops, and three that cart, I like it.
9/10
I am leniet to all lego sets :)
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Not only do the elements of the set make it good on its own, it can also be purchased in multiples to make larger forest complexes. Unfortunately, they go for around $200 on Bricklink, so unless someone here is, or knows, a lovely and generous millionaire, I don't hold my breath on testing this assumption.
Baned
Foot Soldier

Post by Baned »

I love this set. Just need the Hemlock Stronghold to complete the DF series.
The Black Knight's shield didn't bother me too much, but I actually thought the dark gray helm on the guy looked worse.

Forestmen (and the Dark Forest sequel) is probalby one of my favorite castle lines.
Peeron contributions: 577 (Viking Chess), 7009, 7654, 7655, 7695, 7771, 8813, 8821, and 8822.

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MaccyG]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Hmm, odd but strong and playful!!! Good minifigs strong defense but odd defense
10/10
I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all