Weekly Set Review: Majisto's Magical Workshop

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

I've always loved this set, no matter how much people say it lacks certain elements...such as a door :D . Always will be a favorite of mine 8/10.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This was the only Dragon Masters set that I got in the year 1993. I wanted a sorcerer and a (then) new halberd, and I liked the look of the house. It's also been the first set I got with BURPs.
To be honest until I read this thread I didn't even realise that this shop doesn't have a door.... Probably because I didn't play much with the set. In those years I didn't collect sets but only built my own stuff.

I still think this is the best set from the Dragon Masters line.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

I never had this set, but glancing at the instructions I'd say it's really lacking in design. The two halves are nearly symetrical, there's basically nothing to the inside of the set, and there's over-use of large POOPs. I guess we have to take it in context with other kits, but frankly I don't think this workshop is all that great.
Lord Mikal
Archer

Post by Lord Mikal »

I can't say I ever had "hours of fun" with this set before taking it apart. I always thought that the "attic" was too small, due to stacking the turret pieces. I still use the torch design whenever possible. I like the roof design, but I never have enough plates around to be able to afford to build a roof at that kind of slant. That magic scroll though... That's probably the third best piece in this set, the first two being Majiso's hat and beard. My figs had several adventures where that scroll was the object of desire.

I agree with Athos about the lack of door. Non-Majistos simply can't get inside (although a creative forestman once climbed in through the window).
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mikal1]My Brickshelf[/url]
Azure, a saltire cantoned with a star in chief and in base and two crescents addorsed in the flanks, argent.
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Never had it, but from the pics I've seen, it kind of looks like my idea of a medieval house, maybe with the exception that it is my strong belive that a house should have a door!

I think it's a nice set and with some modification it could work just fine in any enviroment, not only a wizards shop.

joel.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

I have this set, and I like it. Probably the best of the Dragon Masters line, IMO. Like Jojo, I really didn't notice the lack of a door until reading this thread. It does not detract from the uniqueness and overall look of the set.

Life is Good.
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
quiksand
Peasant

Post by quiksand »

Best set??? Ha, ha! Lego began thier decent into outrageous with this set. Unrealistic, even for fantasy, poorly constructed, poorly equipped, ect. The only sad thing is, is how many of us actually wanted this set. I for one did, and thank my lucky stars I instead invested in 6086.

6/10
Why do you need all those minifigs? You'll poke your eye out!
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Guess I jump in first for this go-round. This was part of the beginning of end of the Golden Age, so I have mized feelings. While it's an OK set on it's own, it's tainted. Guilt by association, sorry can't get past that :arrow: 8)
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I thought it was a good set. I never minded no door.... he is a wizard, home security and all. No entrance is the best way to it.

Perhaps not the best lego set of the castle line but its a good one.

R
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
The Crusader
Freeman

Post by The Crusader »

I have this set half built at the moment, for what it is(a shop) I enjoy it. I make the Wizard have a little boy work with him. Also The wizard is forgetful.

7/10
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

I don't own it but i would love to get my hands on it :D

CastleLord.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

Nice one! I've always really liked the roofs on the more classic sets, as they were easier to make with limited bricks :P
Now the fig isn't right my style but the magician is nice.
guess it's good value apart from the price.
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
draugaer
Apprentice

Post by draugaer »

I thought this was a pretty decent set. There is a bit of an over-reliance on Burps and specialized pieces, but I think the over-all look of the structure is quite nice (unlike newer sets that use alot of burps).

The lack of a door is quite annoying, but that design over-sight is present in alot of these opening tree-buildings. Take a look at the forestmen sets for example.

There is a pretty good selection of parts; plumes, halbards, leaves, and rock pieces (I know some of you hate these but alot of us don't have enough dark grey pieces to build cliffs without them).
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

This is easily my favorite Dragon Masters set. I'm so happy to have one complete in box! Anyway, it immediately looks cool and (aside from the lack of a door) is actually quite functioning (rare we have a set like that!). I love all the accessories, the stove and other interior details are nice, and my only complaint is the lack of a third Minifig.

8/10
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

This set (along with the Wolf Pack Tower and The Dark Dragons Den) were the last major sets I bought before I went into my darkage. I really liked them all and am currently looking at all three on my shelf.

I think the set is great. It came with two figures, so it allowed at least a little interaction between characters. I paid $22.99 for it (yes I still have the box) and for that price I thought it came with a lot of play possibilities. There are a lot of big pieces in it, but the BURPs are used well and it has a very foresty look to it. For those who are into the current fantasy stuff this should be right up their alley.

On the inside it had a small fireplace (with wood and pot) some glasses and a ladder to the upstairs which was nice enough for a woodsey Wizard to live in. The interior was also pretty well laid out in my mind, the entire inside is useable to even my currently adult fingures, so play as a child was fine too. Overall, I am not sure that more could be asked of a small set like this. It would be nice to see something like this for the current line.