Weekly Set Review: Guarded Treasury

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

I have two of these and like what has been said it's an OK set. It sorely needed another figure to go with it IMO. The pieces were somewhat useful, I see the attempt at playability by having two little structures but I think the piece count would have been better excuted with one "large" tower thing. So yes just like the KKI line it has good torsos but bad set design.
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

I really think regardless of the minifigs, this set is a very poor boring design. It being small isn't an issue, but something so small should have more detail, not be simple large pieces stuck together.

This set typifies the reason I didn't bother with Lego during this era (particularly as the prices were higher too despite the poorer sets!!!); no wonder it was around the start of my dark ages.

I'd only get it now for the minifigs. Sure all the parts apart from the tan lions heads (why oh why are these in this set, they stick out like a sore thumb) I'd be content to add to my collection, but the same goes for a half kilo lot of lego that one might get for the same price!

I don't even like the large axes.

4/10
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

I built a nice jailhouse out of the pieces, no traps, just a jail using both baseplates. I'm glad I got this more for the bull knight than the rest, though. Oh, and the tall wall 1x2s were useful for BrickQuest. The trap is awkward, storing a magickal sword in a tiny stone hut is silly, and the jail here is silly. 9/10 for the pieces, 4/10 for design. (they look cool[ish], or it'd be 2/10)
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

It is disgusying and i don't like it-well the minifigs aren't so bad

so it's 5/10

Iceland rules :D
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

I'll just say this right now: I started buying LEGO again when KK2 came out. Re-started at the wrong time.
On topic: Good little set, two good figs, good castle pieces and a great sword. Very nice little set. Since I don't have it I can not give it a overall.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I got this set as a birthday present from one of my friends, back when we were the age that Lego was accepted as cool. I was thrilled with it, and he was happy because it was relitively inexpensive. I really like it because of the figs, and because the structures from several of these can be combined fairly easily. I like the style of KK1, and this set is not exception. Plus the chrome sword thrown in, and this definately rates a 9/10.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Kozai13
Peasant

Post by Kozai13 »

Redaxe wrote:Hated this set. How many jail cell doors do you need? How many dark grey turret tops do you need? How many tan lion's head pieces do you need?

The figures are great, but not the piece selection....

Actually, I was just thinking those parts are what make this set great. Oh well, I like to use big parts in my MOC's. Anyway, this set is really cool! It's extremely playable and has great parts and figs. It could have used a flag and I wouldn't call the sword a "treasure" unless its sacred or something.
Matt

Check out my brickshelf account:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Matman13

And my brickset profile:
http://www.brickset.com/profile/default.aspx?user=Matman13
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

i got this and built it but i just took the jail and figs when i am typing this right now i have the fig right next to me
Lawkeeper
Peasant

Weekly Set Re-Review: Guarded Treasury

Post by Lawkeeper »

If you ask me, this set has some great pieces, especially the minifigs.
There are a lot of accesssories included, and the castle parts are useful if you don´t have that many. (I´ve got only set of KK1 :cry:)

Lawkeeper
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

In my opinion, this isn't as bad as many are saying. Although the treasury itself doesn't look very good alone, I could see it fitting in really well at the top of a city (Minas Tirith?), or at the centre of a sacred shrine. As well, the torches around the prison give it a very menacing air. Altogether, the two aspects of this set are great as fillers for a castle interior.
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

this is my firsth castle set, so i have to like it.
it has nice pieces and minifigures.

6/10
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

This set was the only KKI set I got before BL.
I'd entered a dark age with FK and didn't really buy lego at the store for years after (I was 15 and self-concious) This set was the one I saw and said to myself 'those guys look kinda cool' and bought while the pretty girl working at TRU was on break. 2 of my 4 lion head elements came from this, so it wasn't a purchase I regretted, and the pieces are pretty useful (or at least in useful colors)
Not a bad little set, though a far cry from something I'd buy multiples of.
May you all feast on the flesh of your enemies,
Ser Loktar. :D
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
Emp.Justinian
Archer

Post by Emp.Justinian »

[quote="Spongey"]In my opinion, this isn't as bad as many are saying. Although the treasury itself doesn't look very good alone, I could see it fitting in really well at the top of a city (Minas Tirith?), or at the centre of a sacred shrine. /quote]
You have a good point their. However another offshoot of the ddreadful comics is that I was never able to imagine this being anywhere but a grassy meadow, where it would look silly. Having it in a city would also explain why the guards are somewhere else and the shrine is so open.

God speed

Emp.Justinian
Support the true king, Support SavaTheAggie!

A proud member of the Legion of Aggie

I Pledge Allegiance to SavaTheAggie
and to the empire for which it rules
one Empire under One Admin
invincible, with tyranny and injustice for all.
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

Ugly set

But doe's anybody know of some lego shops in canada :!: :?:
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

jokkna wrote:Ugly set

But does anybody know of some lego shops in Canada?
Please tell us why you think it is ugly. If you need to know where there are stores that sell LEGO in Canada, start a new topic in the Buy/Sell/Trades forum. Do not take this review off topic. Thank you.

Ben
CC Sets Admin