Weekly Set Review: Fright Knights Flying Machine

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
ed_dotcom
Laborer

Post by ed_dotcom »

architect-
I apologize if I sounded rude towards you earlier...after I reread my response, I realized it may have seemed that way...

I am pretty sure that in the Western United States at the time it was not available at Shell stations. I only think this because I went myself (in Northern California and Southern Oregon) and had family members in Southern California, Nevada, Washington State, Utah, and Arizona going to Shell stations to get LEGO for me at the time (I love my family :wink: ). And seeing as I never got this set at all, I figured it was because it was not there at all...

Life is Good.
i am ed & i'm a LEGOholic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=edeevo]Bricklink Store.[/url]
[url=http://shop.ebay.com/edeevo/m.html?_nkw=&_a ... ksid=p3686]eBay.[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

architect-
I apologize if I sounded rude towards you earlier...after I reread my response, I realized it may have seemed that way...
Thank you for the apology. Your comment did not bother me. It just made me think that I was misinformed about the sets :wink: The sets given to me were purchased in Illinois and Missouri. Perhaps there was a different selection based on location. Or maybe some of the sets were purchased elsewhere. The stations I personally went to only had the town and ferarri sets. I wish I had picked up more of those F1 models... What a deal.

Ben
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I think one of the biggest problem with LEGO Castle (or any other theme) is that there are no longer a bunch of small sets like this.

I think the reason they no longer make small sets like this is because all of the small sets for FK and KK were terrible and probably sold poorly.

Older small sets like King's Oarsmen, Ballista, Supply Wagon, Horse Cart, Battle Dragon, Black Knight, and many others were far better than the more recent small sets. (And most of the old ones weren't even too good, but they were far better than the modern and terrible sets we see now.)

When I was growing up, I could go to a store and find at least two small sets available in each of the core themes, usually more than that. How are new kids supposed to get into LEGO if they can't afford any of the toys? Or, from 1997-2001, how are kids supposed to get into LEGO if the only sets they can afford are hideous?

1993 may have started the decline in quality, but stuff like this is why there aren't as many kids into LEGO anymore.

0/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Oddest set I have even seen... at least it is now willa on that contraption...
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

So many words can be used to describe this set, but one stands above all: Jibbly! :D
Horak the Great
Peasant

Post by Horak the Great »

Absolutely Criminal! I completely forgot about this set. Where is the Legoland Police when you need them?

The minifig is nice though; I like the Batlord. I would much rather get the set with the black dragon though. The concept of the Batlord's vehicle is beyond me... defies the laws of physics. I guess one could say it is "imagination" at work. :roll:
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

What the #%[# is this!!!! This looks like it was designed by some 4 year old with whatever pieces they could find. I hope Lego was giving these away for free.

Overall it is worst set I have ever seen.

Rating: 0/10
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Pretty cheesy, but a good way to get chrome swords, spears, and a few odd pieces:

3/10