Weekly Set Review: Maiden's Cart

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Maiden's Cart

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6023 Maiden's Cart.

Maiden’s Cart, a lady’s carriage, was released in 1986. This set features a maiden, a foot soldier, treasure chest, and accessories. The rare white maiden’s hat is only available in this set.

Last edited by architect on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

re

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Other than the white hat this set is filler for your towns. That's ok though, you need carts etc to populate castles. Kudos to LEGO for doing that in the past. Personally, I'd take it or leave it.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Duchessa
Serf

Post by Duchessa »

I heard the water was fine over here? :)

I have one copy of this set, and one additional maiden with white hat. Like Mr. Old Republic said, this set is mostly a filler besides from her. But I needed it to complete my collection of Legoland Castle. And yes - now I am complete :D
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I really like this set. Even though the maiden is the main focus, I enjoy filling my towns with various carts. It is also desirable because this set was originally a European only release. So it is hard to find in America.

Ben E.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This is an OK set with a nice minifig. Speaking of the maiden, of course. I never liked the grey legs of the guard too much. And the top of the cart is too rickety.

The + of this set is its mere existence as a somewhat civilian set rather than its beauty. So I agree with the previous speakers.

I gave it 60/100 in Lugnet.

Bye
Jojo

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

And the top of the cart is too rickety.
I forgot about this. It is very easy to knock off the canopy. Still, I like this set and its design. I think that I would give it a 8/10.

Ben E.
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

Well, I got mine for Easter in '86 plus a kid's MC of "Benjamin Blümchen - Als Ritter". The musiccassette deals with a talking elephant called "Benjamin Blümchen", who has to go through many adventures (by now 96 methinx) with his little human friend Otto. Those cassettes are very successfull here in Germany among kids.

In that special adventure he and Otto went to a tin factory to get some armour and then they travel to the town's castle "Burg Eintracht" in order to relive the adventures they read before in books. They try to rescue a maiden - who is the cashier of the tourist-tour, who was trying to hide in front of an knight-like armoured elephant in her office. In the end everything is resolved and we have a happy end.

Ok, this little story may help, why I like this set so much: On the tape, the story dealt with a maiden and this set gave me the first maiden (6067 was for birthday, later in the year) - and I could re-play the adventures with the elephant (Fabuland :wink: ).

On the other hand I liked the gray legs, because they symboled that the soldier didn't actually belong to a special fraction but had to serve his lady.

The construction of the set with the open canopy was done very well; you could easy reach the interior and sit down a minifig.

And after all, Robin Hood could rob the cart and capture the maiden ;-)
CJXXX
Serf

--

Post by CJXXX »

Don't overlook the crossed-axe emblem on the guard... that may be the coolest feature of this set.... on the other hand, i doubt the emblem has lasted. Lego printed metallic the gold on top of the black, and every single crossed-axe torso i have now has only a black shield left now... perhaps i was too rough as a child.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I have the maiden, but not then set. I do like the cart and all sets are more than the sum of their parts to me, its what can I do with those parts with the parts I have. The answer to that is plenty... The cart itself is a little weak, but with some tweaking it could be improved. A set like this could easily be made into a bigger and better cart. So overall I give this set a 7/10, but I give its potential a 9/10. Meaning I could potentially build a better cart that would be a 9/10 :D :D :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

If only a set with a horse would come back out in stores again.

One of the up-sides of this set is that it isn't too tall and big. King's Carriage makes for a humungeous (sp?) set and doesn't really fit on the small roads in my castle town. This one would.

And of course the maiden...can't forget the maiden...course the only thing of her thats fun is the cone hat. The rest looks out of fashion. :)
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I got the Maiden Cart in 1986, when it was just come out. It was my 4th Castle Set. I really like that cart back then and in my opinion it's still the best small cart TLC ever made. Others said that the entire focus on that set is the maiden minifig which is probably true, though since it came out in 1986, it was the first cart to include a brown treasure chest (the only set that include before that a treasure chest was 6011 and the chest there was light gray). Also in 1986 when it came out the rectangle flag was a new great part. As for the maiden minifig, well it was probably the best reason why I bought that set as a kid. The guarded inn set came out in 1987, so I don't know if I'd buy it back then if I had it. The maiden hat can also used as a pope hat. As a small set, I think it's a really cool set and again probably the best 2 wheels cart TLC ever made so I'd give it 9/10.
Idea Book 250 - had a few nice ideas for it.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I think it's a nice set. Simple but very nice.
I agree the top is a bit easy to break, but that's not so bad. 1974 smuggler hayride sides broke more easily than this.

I always consider this women as the Lions Queen.

I like this set because of it's nice look and it's originality.

8/10
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

I never did own this set, but I do have the maiden. I am sure I could build it, but... Over all I liked the non-military aspect of it. Simple, fun, and creative. granted a little weak structurally, but I would pick one up if I had the chance.

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Decent set. Nice figs, okay cart, unique hat piece... Not a whole lot to say, as I neither own it nor "know" anyone who does in person.

Parts: 6.5/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 7/10
Design (now): 7.5/10
Nostalgia: 6/10

Overall Score: 7.17/10
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

Yes,yes,yes...those certainly were days....
This set has nothing special(except the hat,of course,which is perfect for maidens,queens,fairies,etc.)...but look at that design and that figs...
As it is old as I am,it has no matter with nostalgia,actually,I've never seen this set till last year...but it is just SO BEAUTIFUL

I wish LEGO makes sets like this one in the future...
Greetings frpm Serbia