Weekly Set Review: Knight's Procession

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Knight's Procession

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 677/6077 Knight's Procession.

Knight's Procession, first released in Europe in 1979, was the first castle set predominantly composed of minifigures. It is a forerunner of the large castle minifigure packs of the 1980's and 1990's.

Two axemen pull a treasure cart while being defended by four more swordsmen. This set was released in America as 6077 in 1981.

Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

There's not a whole lot I wouldn't do for this set. 'Nuff said.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Awesome. Six neat knights with weapons. No flashy catapults or horses just some honest soldiers

If only they'd make that sort of stuff nowadays...
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

AWESOME
999999.999.999/10
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Nice, but why are the knights doing(?) a procession? :D

Joel.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

A wonderful army builder, though the basic brick contents of the cart is a bit lame. Still, there's no way a little quibble like that will bring a great set like this down. :D

10/10
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Great set! Some of the best-looking soldiers of the era, a great number of them, and well-armed in comparison with some other sets of that time: every man has a decent-sized weapon, and four of them have shields! The cart is rather ridiculous, and the contents seem rather pointless, but it is in general a great set.

Parts: 7/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 9.5/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now): 9.5/10
Nostalgia: 7.5/10

Overall Score: 8.25/10
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

Why can't TLC make sets like this now?! This set is awesome.

9/10
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well, for design, all minifig sets are the pits. But I don't think that is the point. I am not sure what the point (arpart from getting more figs) is to minifig sets but I still love em.

You can't get a better army builder anywhere. Four plain footmen with shields and two axment. What could be better. The wagon is slightly puzzling, but hey, maybe it has supplies for the troops.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

This is the set that most catches my eye when I think of the Classic-Castle era. Three or four of these sets and you're on your way to starting a fairly sized army, and it is one of the best sources of generic soldiers I've ever seen. I, for one, would like to support the wagon. Even though it's not a work of art, a simple brick-built cart has always been a source of nostalgic memories.

10/10, hands down.
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

The contents of the cart are unspecific and generic allowing you to imagine they are whatever you want. Perhaps the soldiers are protecting some vital supplies from their enemies, perhaps it is valuable goods that are tempting to bandits. Whatever you want it to be.

The cart is not really the focus though. The cart is just an excuse to have so many identical minifigs. A bit of variety would be good, but this is still very good. I would definitely buy it if it was available today.

8/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I have no problem with the cart except that the wheels look out of place with a castle set. This is forgiven though, as the "castle wheels" didn't exist yet. I just assumed that the contents were containers that held valuables (rather than all being contained in a chest).

Again, except for the wheels, I don't see anything wrong with this set. If you were to buy two or three of these, you would have one heck of an army. This was fantatic as it was an affordable set. What's great is that they are all of one faction. The later mini-fig sets contained usually 1 fig of each faction. You had to buy a lot more than 2 or 3 to get a great army. Not so with this set.

Larger sets have been released that didn't have this many mini-figs. This is a testament to how great Lego used to be.

As a mini-fig pack, this is a 10/10. It doesn't get better than this.

As an actual set, I'd still give it a 9/10. The only reason it isn't perfect is the lack of any real structure.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

This set is before my time, but it looked like it was a bang for a buck
10/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I love this set. Not because I particularly care for the soldiers, or because the cart is awesome, but rather because this set is really and truly an army builder. I love the simplicity of the cart(though I can't say I'm fond of the rubber wheels). I love the 'gold' and assorted goods in the cart. Good set.

9/10

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

This was the first "classic-castle" set I got, and I really love it! True, the wheels on the cart are a bit... interesting? But that's really no big deal... as to what the cart is carrying or...
Nice, but why are the knights doing(?) a procession?
This is the true glory of older Lego... they don't really tell you what's going on, just give you the basic stuff to let you make up a million stories all your own. :P

Awesome set, awesome figs, classic-castle rocks! 9/10
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]