Weekly Set Review: Defense Archer

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

ed_dotcom wrote:I'll stick to the Classics from now on...
Agreed. Now that the colors have been changed, there is absolutely no reason to continue buying new sets.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

ezehogan wrote:
ed_dotcom wrote:I'll stick to the Classics from now on...
Agreed. Now that the colors have been changed, there is absolutely no reason to continue buying new sets.
Too true... but they may tempt me to some of the new black castle sets if there is a low emough ratio of grey...(to think I would ever ask for less grey in a set...)

Nathan
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I like this set and the pieces that can be used from it - even like the concept, which I modified for my castle walls using smaller rotating plates - see (http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/banne ... sbows2.jpg)
I would give this 8/10
SirBert
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Thats a pretty cool idea bannear - I remember when you posted that a while back... I was thinking something like this could be mounted on a small tower somewhere too... like a look-out tower.

Anyway, this is cool usage of the piece ~ 8)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

That's a pretty cool concept. It's sleek, shiny, and most of all, it looks like it would actually work!
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

In my first short review-ish post about this week's set I forgot some intersting aspect. Well, interesting for the serious collector only. Maybe.

There's a tiny difference between the Kabaya version and the box/polybag version of this set. Only the Kabaya version shows all three numbers on the instructions:

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
thebusnamedgak
Serf

Post by thebusnamedgak »

I liked this set, when I was birthday shopping for my lil bro I came upon a bunch of the bagged ones. Great minifig, 2 crossbows, 2 small baseplates... Great for the 2 or 3 dollars each one was.

8/10
GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

This set was a fantastic source of the armoured torso, green plates, crossbows, and a quiver.

This little guy is a great soldier for any army (I use this torso design for my “city guards”).

This is a great ‘single minifig’ set, what a great way to build up an impressive and massive army.

Overall I rate this set 8/10, purely based on the great minifig supplied in the set.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Finally something have three of. It was a even cheaper way to get troops and it fit my budget! When my allowance was raised to 4.00 I bought two more! I should of bought more! 10/10
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Excellent little set! For about 2$ you get:

1. Solider mini
2. 2 Crossbows
3. A quiver
4. A shield

Not a bad little army builder.

8/10
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

This John of Mayne impulse set is one of my all time favourite sets, the unique armour plate and printed legs/belt is far superior to that of any other plate armoured mini figure.

I consider that Dark Forest/Fright Knights and KK1 were high points in mini figure design and it is only now with the current fantasy era sets that this standard is again being achieved.

The KK1 range appeared as I was in an exclusive army building phase and I had been spoilt by cheaper and at that time heavily reduced Fright Knight and Ninja impulse sets, but it was easy to recognise the value of this set and the high quality of the mini figure design.

I was lucky enough to pick up many copies of this set. (Enough to roof a 12 wide halve Tudor moc)

I like the KKI range so much that I have multiple MISB copies of this set including: 4801 European/Australasian, 4811 North American poly bag, 1287 Japanese Kabaya impulse set packaged in Yellow Lego Systems box - Richard's Arrowseat, 4801 Korean having European/Australasian KK1 Logo but with full Korean labelling which I was able to buy in Australian(Sydney) K-mart stores up until 2002.

Mario
Last edited by MarioDAlessio on Wed May 14, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Sadly I was not collecting at this time. I wish some small sets would be rereleased sometimes so I could pick up some as the main incentive to buying this set was that it was cheap.

Picking up the man with a nice generic torso and with additional crossbow and shield is very useful. I agree a melee weapon would have been nice but its still a nice set.

I think the crossbow machine itself is only so so. The mountain fortress crossbow machine was better.

Ottoatm,

In the late 14th, 15th century they begin making crossbows with a clip at the back to allow you to basically shoot in all sorts of positions and not allow the bolt to fall out so not too impossible.

What is Kabaya?

R
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

This is a really great set overall. For the price of $2 (I think, can't remember exactly) you got a generic minfig with a Kettle Helm, 2 crossbows, shield and a quiver. So with those parts you could fully outfit an archer, which are getting hard to come by in the current Castle lines.

It would have been nice if this set came with other parts beside the ginormo turntable. I can't figure out a good use for them. :?
Heir of Black Falcon wrote:
What is Kabaya?

R
Doing a quick Google, Kabaya is a Japanese Candy maker that packs Lego in with their candy from time to time.

God Bless,

Jon
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

Love this set.
9/10
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Henry V,

I did a search but did not think about a candy company selling legos as very likely. Do they do that in the States?

R