New Set (G678)

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

--Just a thought. Are the figs in the "Save the Kingdom" board game glued? It may not be relevant because it seems that building the figures is part of the game play.
They are not glued in the "Save the Kingdom" game. However, that game has fewer figures (all with their own color) and the figs are not visible in a flip top lid. I hope that we will be able to get these figs or some accessories from them that arent glued.
I don't think that they're glued together, the TLC website shows pics of the guys with their arms in different positions, so I don't think they're glued together.
Unfortunately this doesnt mean anything because the photographed one could be a promo copy that isnt glued all the way.

I like this set very much. Chess is a great game and LEGO is a great toy. I think I will get 2 (depending on the figures of course).

Check out my glue avatar, everyone is free to copy it :)

Ben
Last edited by architect on Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Ok, so I open up IE this morning and get instantly smacked down by this new AMAZING castle set...and then I read the fine print about the figs possibly being glued. :shock: :cry:

I don't see the point of gluing the figures. They aren't keychains! They're just figures stuck onto a 4x4 plate!

LEGO, please don't screw this up. You could kill a great idea with a really dumb one!

I would get at least two copies of this set, and probably more, if the figures remain glue-less. Glued, and I'll be spending my money elsewhere.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Here are some points to consider:

As Ben said, the positioned figs could be a prototype and thus weren't glued for the photo shoot.

Previous display minfigs that were glued did have moving hips and shoulders, just not heads nor removable legs or helmets and heads.

The figs in the box are holding their weapons. This has never been done EVER. If the figs are glued, and they are holding their weapons, there is a chance their weapons/accessories will also have been glued in place.

If the figs are glued, the playing field is probably glued.

Jake has said the reason for the gluing would be to prevent confusion, as you wouldn't want a knight with a queen's bottom.

However, it seems to me that it costs more to assemble and glue 24 figs than it does to print out one instruction booklet.

Jake has said he is not 100% sure that they are glued.

I will hold out hope that they are in fact not glued, but that amount of hope, given LEGO's current history, is about the size of a cornflake.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
00Psyren00
Laborer

Post by 00Psyren00 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
My dream has come true! Ice warriors!!!!!
Army builder!!!
00Psyren00
Laborer

Post by 00Psyren00 »

1 piece... :?
:x
That would screw up everyone's expectations.
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Hold your horses!

If you switch your shopping cart to United Kingdom (for example), where this set is available for order, you'll see a piece count of 167. Then if you switch to the key chain section of the S@H website, the items there have no piece count (except for R2-D2, Pieces: 1). I think this is a good sign! :)

How many pieces is a normal minifig anyway? 3 (head, torso, legs)? You could try breaking down the piece count of 167...
-Bryan
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I won't be getting this because the soldiers don't interest me, but I do think it is a great idea.

I wish Lego would release a "classic" version of this game, with an army of Lion Knight's taking on an army of Black Falcon's. Now THAT I woud buy in a heartbeat!
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Actually, I take the piece count to be a BAD sign! There is no way that this set is only 167 pieces with a 3 piece mini fig :cry: !!

Consider that there are

32 White 4x4 tiles
32 Black 4x4 tiles
8 Axes
8 Crossbows
32 Bricks (each Rook is made of 8 bricks)
1 Baseplate
2 Antenna
2 1x1 cones
2 jewels
24 Minifigs
2 Swords
20 Bricks (each knight looks to be made of 5 Bricks)
2 Lightsaber pieces
2 shields
=167
+ Any other pieces I haven't counted.

Simply put, there is NO WAY that the figures aren't glued :x !!

Indeed, this is a sad day. LEGO really dropped the ball with this one!!!
Last edited by Blueandwhite on Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

OK, I've ordered one. I expect it to arrive by midweek and I'll report then.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Count Blockula
Villein

Post by Count Blockula »

Here are some close-ups of the figs:

And, check this out. In this pic:

not only are the pawns' arms are at different angles (notice the spears they're holding), but it also looks like their faces and helmets are turned slightly, different from one another. So, that makes me think that not only are the arms poseable (and thus, removable), but that the heads and helmets are, too.

And, in this pic here:

the two bishops appear (at least to me) to be bent at the waist at slightly different angles. So, I'm guessing the legs, like the arms, are also poseable and removable.

I guess, then, the only question would be if the hips are glued to the torsos, like the minifig keychains. If so, that's ok.
Castles are kinda' like big, non-electrical stone spaceships that don't fly. Plus, you can stick your head out the window and breathe, and your eyeballs won't explode.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Going by the piece count alone, it seems evident that the Minifigures are considered to be a single piece. I expect that they are glued together much like the keychains. Its too bad really, because this could have been a great set!!
Count Blockula
Villein

Post by Count Blockula »

Maybe the board is glued together and considered a single piece. A solid board would kinda' make sense, too, I think.
Last edited by Count Blockula on Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Castles are kinda' like big, non-electrical stone spaceships that don't fly. Plus, you can stick your head out the window and breathe, and your eyeballs won't explode.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Im drooling..... oh the armies I could amass with this set!!!
Too bad its not available in the US. But there are ways to circumvent that! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Count Blockula wrote:Maybe the board is glued together and considered a single piece. I don't see the edges of a large baseplate or anything underneath the black and white squares in any of the pics. A solid board would kinda' make sense, too, I think.

I truly wish that was the case, but look closely at the upscaled image. The 4x4 plates are clearly distinct from the baseplate. Zoom in as close as possible on the bottom right hand corner. You'll notice that the black plate hanges slightly over the rounded edge of what appears to be a white baseplate. So far, all evidence points to these minifigs being single-piece items akin to the keychains.

A minifig is just made of too many pieces to account for the 167 piece-count. Unless that number is incorrect, I believe that these minifigs are a single piece.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Its also possible that they count it as a single piece as they come pre-assembled.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]