Weekly Set Review: King Leo

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
dell_wood
Serf

Post by dell_wood »

I like this set quite a bit. I got two of them for my 7th (or 8th, can't remember) birthday party. I was psyched at the time because I actually had duplicate castle figs. I always posted the two guards at entrances...anyway. Good set then, and now (even with the castle piece).

9/10

-dellwood :)
"All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others" -George Orwell

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=dellwood]My Brickshelf[/url]
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

'Twas my first KK1 set. I liked it, I remember, and I though the tower was like a castle... lol, I didn't realize how small it was, and how there really wasn't much to the set... still, those are some good figs, nice accessories, and everything else... so-so. I give it a 9.5/10, it would been nice if they'd made it a real wall, similar to what they did in the "Dungeon" set.
dragonblade24
Apprentice

Post by dragonblade24 »

well this set does have a king but its not the biggest set out there...... i wonder if it is. anyway i like that they put an extra fig in it. :)
1. work!
2. work harder!
3. When all else fails.....BUILD LEGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we fly to victory!' said the dragon king.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Not a bad little set. the soldier, tower (For some) are the good things of this set.

The bad part is the king. Who needs 10 king Leos? torso is okay, I guess, but the crown........

just my two cents

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

I actually like having multiples of the crown, for tossing into big heaps of treasure! :lol: Seriously, have you ever tried tossing all your gold and gems into a big pile and have it guarded by a Dragon? It's cool, I like Treasuries.
Gomur
Apprentice

Post by Gomur »

I was planning on some sort of treasury type thing at some point with the centerpiece being the Gold brick from the 50th anniversary set that my parents bought my son last week.

/... yeah, slightly guilty for snagging the gold brick, but hey, he's two he doesn't appreciate it!
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

LOL! You're so cruel! And to your own son... well... yeah... I figure if I ever have a son/daughter someday, I'll still have my Lego collection, and then there's the problem of sharing it... brrllblbbphpf! Oh well... :roll:

So yes, for many reasons this is a very good set. The minifigs, like all of the KK1 figs, are excellent, and the accessories, and the horse are good too... those three bricks on the tower are always cool, and the turret itself... with the right use of it, becomes a very good piece to have in a MOC.
forseti
Villein

Post by forseti »

Worth the purchase for the faces and knight's torso alone. just got a bunch of both heads from bricklink in the mail today (finally), they're awesome.
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

"I always wanted a Sean Connery minifig. "

Indeed that is the first thing I thought when I got this set. It is a failry decent army builder. one horse and two figures. I ended up using the king's torso for archers. And now I have a lot of extra crowns most of which ended up on my skeletons.

It could have used some more minifigs, but it is not a wretched set.
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
Lord Tyler II
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Tyler II »

It's kind of an odd little set, but of course it's great for army guys and those tower parts. I, personally, don't own it...
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

Coatsy wrote:"I always wanted a Sean Connery minifig. "
Oh wow... I knew ol' Leo looked familiar... haha, he had to have been inspired by the movie "First Knight".
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

As a set, it is unappealing to me. Sure you can just buy it for the soldiers, but really, as a set, it is extremely lacking. At least with the ubiquitous catapult sets, you could have a small battle. But the figs are good enough for a decent review.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
darkstarsk8er327
Villein

Post by darkstarsk8er327 »

good army builder
templars rule!!
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

darkstarsk8er327 wrote:good army builder
If an army of kings is your thing...
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]