Weekly Set Review: 1680 Crusader's Cart

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

So are you the one who bought this set misb on ebay? How I wanted that but a bit over my price range.
I don't own the sets MISB. The older sets are to expensive in MISB, because I don't need the boxes. I only collect the bricks and instructions.
I buy a set as used, it is much cheaper, so I can buy maybe 2 or 3 copys to get 1 very good set. But MISB sets are the best quality, indeed. This set I don't have MISB.

regards,
jens
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Yes! Finally a cart I like! Pitchfork, decebt looking cart and a good assortment of minifigs. Man do I miss those day. I do own this set, but over the years I have lost a few of my pitchforks. :cry:

Overall I'd give this set a 8.5/10 when it came out and a 9.5/10 now. I would have given it higher marks when it came out, but I must admit the Dark Forest torsos make me just a tiny bit happier.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

This, as with most sets of its era, is an awesome set. A non-military cart (emphasis on the non-militart part).

For pieces, its so-so. It has three forestmen, a round shield, a horse (with a sadle). There are definatly better piece sets out there, but there are also worse.

The design, well is alright. Its cool to have a cart, but the design of the cart, in my opinion, isn't the best.

I imagine that to a kid, it would be a fairly nice set. Some normal farmers, with a slightly rougesness to them. I guess that it wouldn't be as popular as a knight set, but it certainally would have appeal.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I obviously had the version of this set that comes with 1 less Forestman, but it is a classic. In fact, all of the Forestmen sets are. Of all of the "official" sets, I think they are the only ones that truely deserve to be left built in their original state. In fact, I have this cart on my desk right now. Fantastic.

9/10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

Oh I wish I had this set. :cry:
9/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Hi guys.

This is pretty depressing for me because I don't have a single forestman or old circular grey sheild. :(

Life isn't always fun and games....
Sir-Boris
Laborer

Post by Sir-Boris »

Although I do not own this set, I really like it. It seems to be a nice army builder for the Forestmen. It has a decent cart, and the classic round grey shield, and pitch fork. I wish they were still around, I could always use more Forestmen.

Nate
Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the entire world.
- Albert Einstein
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

Post by Hothir Ethelnor »

This looks like a great set! although I wondered why it was called the crusaders cart when the men that come with it are all forestmen still I think it's a great set!
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Hothir Ethelnor wrote:I wondered why it was called the crusaders cart when the men that come with it are all forestmen
That's because the so called "Crusaders" (the Lion knights) ain't officially called Crusaders, either. The terminus Crusaders was used one time in an American catalogue but not in the name of any set. However, based on this one mention the creator of the Lugnet set database dubbed the whole faction "Crusaders".
Also the Name "Crusader's Cart" doesn't appear on the box of the set #1680 but only in the 1990 US catalogue and on the back sheet of the #1675 Special Offer pack that contains the set #1877 (similiar but not equal to #1680).
So in 1990 the LEGO company wasn't able to know that several years later some LEGO fan would call the Lions faction "Crusaders" and thus cause confusion...

If I was in charge of the Lugnet set database the first thing I'd do would be renaming the "Crusaders" faction "Lions"...

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

Hothir Ethelnor wrote:I wondered why it was called the crusaders cart when the men that come with it are all forestmen
That's because the so called "Crusaders" (the Lion knights) ain't officially called Crusaders, either. The terminus Crusaders was used one time in an American catalogue but not in the name of any set. However, based on this one mention the creator of the Lugnet set database dubbed the whole faction "Crusaders".
Also the Name "Crusader's Cart" doesn't appear on the box of the set #1680 but only in the 1990 US catalogue and on the back sheet of the #1675 Special Offer pack that contains the set #1877 (similiar but not equal to #1680).
So in 1990 the LEGO company wasn't able to know that several years later some LEGO fan would call the Lions faction "Crusaders" and thus cause confusion...

If I was in charge of the Lugnet set database the first thing I'd do would be renaming the "Crusaders" faction "Lions"...

Bye
Jojo
Thanks JoJo,

I've always wondered about where the Crusader thing started (could never find it in my mags...)

God Bless,

Nathan
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Jojo wrote:(I hear the "Army builder" choir already....)
Army builder, Army builder
Army builder, Army builder
Army buiiiiiilder

A very nice set.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

Bye
Jojo
Blimey, JoJo, how do you remember all this?

OT: This is a brilliant little set, one of the best carts Lego has ever made. The Forestmen, the round shields, the pitchfork...It's all good stuff. Perhaps the only thing this set is missing is a compartment to hide stowaway soldiers in. Still, a good set.

9.98/10

Strangely enough, this was the second Castle set I got, from LEGOland Windsor, before I was even one...I'm sure some of the parts are still lying down the back side of my bed somewhere... :shock:

- Matt