Weekly Set Review: Fright Force

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Fright Force

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6031 Fright Force.

Fright Force, released in 1998, is the Fright Knight mini-figure pack. It includes Willa the Witch, the Bat Lord, a knight, a soldier, and various accessories. This set is the eighth and last mini-figure pack that LEGO has produced for the Castle theme.

Last edited by architect on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

It's good in the army builder term, but I don't like the Fright Knights.
5/10
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Sigh, the last castle minifig set. And not the worst Fright Knight set.

For pieces it has those three nice soldiers. The batlord isn't so great if you don't like the helment, but the rest of him is nice. True, the set does come with Willa, but it also comes with a clear minifig head. Not avaliable with too many sets, and this one was by far the easiest to get.

Design, well its a minifig set.

From the kids point of view, it might be alright. I would provide the kid with a cheap witch, along with several minions. I imagine that the kids wouldn't be as enthraweled with this as they would with the other Fright Knight sets, but maybe thats for the better.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Hi guys!

If only we would see TLC produce minifig packs again. I wonder why they don't.

This set is not bad, 2 usable soldiers. One semi usefull bat lord and one Willa the Witch. Sadly she''s kinda useless. And neither Willa nor the bat lord have capes. In the other fright knights sets they did. But why not this one?

Oh well, just be happy for what you get.
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

Transparent head can be useful, but the witch is kind of useless, else its fantastic for an army builder, but the witch turns it into a buy-one-and-be-done-with-it set.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I remember 1999. For a do-not-really-consider-Ninja-to-be-Castle person, it was the first year- EVER (I was born in '87, remember). At the time, I was terribly afraid that this, released- alone- in 1998, was the last Castle set EVER.

Then KK1 came around, and all that changed (including my classification of Ninja), but this set is still the end of an era to me.

As a set, the big thing going for this set is that it is a Minifigures set. The last real one ever made in Castle. It's a decent one, as they go, with three good-looking figs that make a decent army when built up, and a horse to boot.

Willa is, of course, the downfall of the set. One can, after all, acquire Willa with a bunch of other- more useful- Fright Knights sets, and after getting your first Willa, you've pretty much got enough.

Still, I would love to get my hands on a quantity of these. The Willas might just end up in a Spares bucket, but those soldiers would be great to have.

Parts: 8/10
Playability: 7/10
Figs/Accessories: 6.5/10
Design (then): 6.5/10
Design (now): 6.5/10
Nostalgia: 7/10

Overall Score: 6.92/10
jamtf
Freeman

Post by jamtf »

Although I do not own this set, it is in my opinion one of few useful fright knight sets along with 6004 crossbow cart. I do have the figs loose though except the witch (can't stand it).

Two forementioned sets are worth getting and then move back to classic castle. That strange uprising fright knights castle they issued with this line of knights for instance is only good for the bricks and building material.

Rating: 6/10.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I bought two of these minifig packs, and never regretted it for a second. Although Willa is a bit annoying (I'd take another soldier anyday), you get some much-needed fright knights without having to buy another set. I was able to build a bigger horde thanks to this set!

8/10 :D
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

The soliders are ok, Willa isn't that bad. The only bad thing about her is her head. I don't own any Fright Knights, I sort of like the torsos of them. If you just replace Willa's head, you've got a desent figure. The shelds are a little lame, not a big fan of the bat, nor am I a big fan of the helmet. Can't ever have enough horses.

I wish TLC still made sets like this.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Lil Jon wrote
I wish TLC still made sets like this.
Indeed.

Willa :cry: :x so many unhealthy emotions (and emoticons, as it turns out :wink: ) Another soldier would have made this great.

What we have now in KK2 is either Vladek's Encounter or Fireball Catapult. 2 figs a horse and some elements (less useful pieces which is too bad) Say Firebal catapult came with 3 shadow knights.... well, you get the idea. :D
Troy T. Moore
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Hi guys!
Say Firebal catapult came with 3 shadow knights.... well, you get the idea.
I don't think TLC would do that. Something's stopping them from putting in minifig packs. The most figs we can get in a 10$ set is two so far.
Zacku
Laborer

Post by Zacku »

I had a couple of these. I kinda liked them. The soldiers were cool, but yeah, Willa was pretty useless. But, I found a use for some of her parts *plans to post pictures sometime in the next year*. :D
Your ad here.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I got 20-30 of these (I lost count) for $3 each. That's $1 per fig. I was very happy. Alas, I had to take all those Willas as part of the deal.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

don't have it, don't need it
the only FK set I don't have and probably will never buy
Dusty
Apprentice

Post by Dusty »

I was only able to obtain one of these. If I could have gotten a number of these on clearance at TRU like I did for the fig pack in rockraiders I would have been more happy. But since I have only a few torso styles from this set it makes it easier for me to say "hey this fig is more important or from some other place" and not have to much of the same floating around.

Dusty