Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

A horse, some useful minifigs, a glass-head. +
Batlord's batcap, silversword. -

Not too bad.

Bye
Jojo

Is Willa-bashing some sort of a running gag that I don't get? I don't understand what's so bad about a black wizard's hat, a black (sinister) female torso, and a black 60° slope. The head, well, just don't use it. And simply abandon the idea of pretold stories and characters and you are free to NOT use this fig for "Willa the Witch".
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

If this was available for a low price ($2-$3) I would want several copies. Those clear heads are so nice for lamps and such, and the torsos of the solders are quite generic - and good looking.

8/10

~D Man

P.S. I agree with Jojo. :wink:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Jojo wrote:Is Willa-bashing some sort of a running gag that I don't get? I don't understand what's so bad about a black wizard's hat, a black (sinister) female torso, and a black 60° slope. The head, well, just don't use it. And simply abandon the idea of pretold stories and characters and you are free to NOT use this fig for "Willa the Witch".
Willa was, in my opinion, a good fig- but one that you only need one of.

As you note, it comes with a black wizard hat. Well, one of those is about all I need. I do not make armies of wizards/witches.

It comes with Willa's head. Like the hat, it's usable, but only in small (1 or maybe 2) quantities.

It comes with a sinister female torso. Again, unstickered, I only need one or two of these.

It comes with the 2x2x2 slope. Personally, I don't like these very much as they do not adhere to the torso as well as regular hips/legs, and because they are a plate taller. And, unstickered, this particular slope is too distinctive- with the red on it, one has to be selective of where it is used.

A nice fig, but not one I want more than one or maybe two of.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Jojo wrote:+ Batlord's batcap,
Umm, Batlord cape? To the best of my knowledge this set had no capes. At least not in the one I bought, or in pics of the set. Is this something that only Europe got?

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
heikoloogi
Gong Farmer

Good parts, last Minifigpack

Post by heikoloogi »

A horse, good armour and some regular knights who can go in any knights army.

Got around 20 of them for 1.5 Euros. That was a good deal
Heiko
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Robin Hood wrote:
Jojo wrote:+ Batlord's batcap,
Umm, Batlord cape? To the best of my knowledge this set had no capes. At least not in the one I bought, or in pics of the set. Is this something that only Europe got?
I think Batcap = Bathelm.

For my review:

I like this set, though I don't have it. If it was available today, I'd pick up a few. I love the torsos, even Willa's, and the weapons are nice. Clear head is a bonus. Only things I don't like are Willa's head and the bathelm.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

This set is essential for a complete fright knights collection, it's always nice to get the minifig pack from the theme you are collecting. They are also quite hard to get now! I only have the ice planet/spyrius minifig set and this.
Tanotrooper
Gentleman

Post by Tanotrooper »

i agree the fright knights arnt the best knights, but this is set was my first castle set. (born in 1992, you know) I walked with my dad to the toy store, and there was a little rack with all of these little lego sets, and i saw it, and i wanted to get it, in those days it only costed 150 belgian francs, so 3,75 euro or 3 bucks or something, so my dad bought it for me. :)
the good old days...
my brickshelf gallery:
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tanotrooper[/url]

Please take a look at my TTfigs:
[url]http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&start=15[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

These sets are really rare nowadays, as collectors tend to integrate them into larger sets. Don't! These must not be integrated, but kept individually.

P.S. Does anyone have a complete collection of fright knights, including all the minor sets (and this one)???
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Nick wrote:These sets are really rare nowadays, as collectors tend to integrate them into larger sets. Don't! These must not be integrated, but kept individually.
What do you mean be "not integrate"? Do you keep those minifig sets in their closed (unopened) box?
From the collector's point of view it's the only reasonable way to collect minifig packs. From a player's and builder's perspective it's sheer irrational :-)
(I'm both.)
P.S. Does anyone have a complete collection of fright knights, including all the minor sets (and this one)???
Sure.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

What do you mean be "not integrate"? Do you keep those minifig sets in their closed (unopened) box?
From the collector's point of view it's the only reasonable way to collect minifig packs. From a player's and builder's perspective it's sheer irrational :-)
(I'm both.)
Yes, yes. I am a collector, not a player. Unfourtinatley, I am not at that age :cry: .
That's why I keep the minifig packs unintegrated.
By integration I mean generally keeping the minifig set from being placed inside some castle or some other large set. I don't keep them in a an unopened box.
dell_wood
Serf

Post by dell_wood »

I was 7 to 8ish then, so I might of bought it.

7 then, 5 now

-dellwood :)
"All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others" -George Orwell

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=dellwood]My Brickshelf[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

This set was not at all that bad, but as some have said as a minifigure pack it is dificult to understand why Willa and the Batlord were both included as they are characters; most if not all previous minifigure packs were army-builders without individuals in them.

To me this set was quite useful in building armies, especially after Wal Mart clearances and Tuesday Morning sales. I entered my ability and desire to buy more than one of certain sets in the late 1990s, and my Castle collection prior to Dragon Masters is pretty limited.

What has always irritated me about this set is that LEGO did a Dragon Masters minifigure pack, skipped the Royal Knights and Dark Forest, but still gave us the brilliant Ninja and oft lamented Fright Knights sets. Whither had the thoughts of at least a combo Royal Knights & Dark Forest set gone? Well, apparently LEGO realised that they had overlooked this fact and gave us the Fright Knights. Good for them.

And if you recall, there were Pirate minifigure packs that had that blasted Captain Redbeard in every one too. Again, a great character minifigure, but not much for army building. So what's army building for anyhow? LEGO is parts, and essentially all minifigures are parts right? At the very least the Fright Knights gave us some good torsos, interesting heads, and an evil end to the LEGO fantasy castle period of the 1990s. :twisted:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Formendacil wrote:
Jojo wrote:Is Willa-bashing some sort of a running gag that I don't get? I don't understand what's so bad about a black wizard's hat, a black (sinister) female torso, and a black 60° slope. The head, well, just don't use it. And simply abandon the idea of pretold stories and characters and you are free to NOT use this fig for "Willa the Witch".
Willa was, in my opinion, a good fig- but one that you only need one of.

As you note, it comes with a black wizard hat. Well, one of those is about all I need. I do not make armies of wizards/witches.

It comes with Willa's head. Like the hat, it's usable, but only in small (1 or maybe 2) quantities.
It comes with a sinister female torso. Again, unstickered, I only need one or two of these.
It comes with the 2x2x2 slope. Personally, I don't like these very much as they do not adhere to the torso as well as regular hips/legs, and because they are a plate taller. And, unstickered, this particular slope is too distinctive- with the red on it, one has to be selective of where it is used.
A nice fig, but not one I want more than one or maybe two of.
Interesting opinion. I think that her torso and dress are perfect for a more D&D use - Dark Elves or "Drow." I only have one or two with the oringinal Willa head as its better to save and use that style selectively. I'm glad that LEGO used Willa in more than one set such that one could buy multiples through Bricklink. Same thing goes for the Black Wizard's hat. She is definately a valued figure with value in my collection.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Lord Tyler II
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Tyler II »

I don't own this set, but I think this would be a nice one. I think the Fright Knight buildings and vehicles were a little lousy, but the mini-figs were nice in my opinion. Not too bad if you ask me.