Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Weekly Set Review: Fright Force

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

Postby MarioDAlessio » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:40 am

For some reason, this set was not very common in stores at the time in Sydney; I think I only managed a single set.

The set was most desirable to me as it contained a variety of shields.

The set has army builder appeal at a cheap price; I was only able to purchase multiple 6027 Bat Lord's Catapult at discounted prices.

I think that to many willas and batlords in too many sets was a major flaw with the fright knights and consequently they are now relatively more common than they should have been to the detriment of this theme.

I think that both these minifigs contain very conspicuous/distinctive face patterns that do not lend to being repeated often in generic army building, they are best concealed when displaying large armies.

Regards
Mario
User avatar
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Sydney Australia

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:12 am

Count Blacktron wrote:This set was not at all that bad, but as some have said as a minifigure pack it is dificult to understand why Willa and the Batlord were both included as they are characters; most if not all previous minifigure packs were army-builders without individuals in them.


Maybe because Fright Knights only had four different kinds of figures. If you look back, TLC only made four Fright Knight figs. Willa, Bazil, the dude in the dragon helm and with the chest plate torso, and the dude with the halberd and the red bird pattern torso. As far as I know, those are the only kinds of Fright Knight figs, granted each comes slightly different with each set, but the basic design is the same.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
User avatar
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 2:35 am
Location: An empty room.....somewhere.

Postby MarioDAlessio » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:05 am

Robin Hood wrote: and the dude with the halberd and the red bird pattern torso.


do you mean Red Fleurs-de-Lis'

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/973px209

If so he was my favorite fright knight, the torso looks good also modified with blue arms.

Mario
User avatar
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Sydney Australia

Postby CastleLord » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:53 am

I don't own this set. :cry: but anyway i give it a 8/10. Because it seems to be a great army builder. :D
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and My Flickr
User avatar
CastleLord
Reeve
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 pm
Location: Sitting in CC chat and speaking with someone...

Postby DaleDVM » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:37 pm

I only have one of this set. Mainly because I didn't want any more Willas. I don't mind repeats of the batlord as you can make a cavalry unit with him. As has been said good torsos and I do love the bat shields.

I do have the complete collection of fright knights and they are their own faction in my lego world. Their sets (buildings) however have been integrated into my building parts. The set designs for them are just aweful. I have over 200 figs of fright knights all together including 4 Willas each commanding a different undead unit.

Overall I give the set 7 out of 10
User avatar
DaleDVM
Journeyman
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Frieght knights

Postby Templar Jesse » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:36 pm

I just baught one of these off ebay a couple of months ago, i think its awsome, even if you dont like frieght knights, you got to have a army to hate.
"God Wills It"
User avatar
Templar Jesse
Gong Farmer
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:28 pm
Location: alabaster, alabama

Postby CVfan13 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:08 pm

I believe this was my first Lego set ever, thus introducing me to my love for Lego Castle. Fright Knights.... yes, they bring back memories...
User avatar
CVfan13
Foot Soldier
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:59 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby wunztwice » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:00 pm

An ok fig set. The selection was good, as it covered the theme well. But really, another Willa?... :roll: The addition of a horse was nice, and the weapons were decent. Personally I only really like one of the figs in the set, though as others have mentioned:

MarioDAlessio wrote:http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/973px209

...he was my favorite fright knight, the torso looks good also modified with blue arms.


They are one of my very most favorite castle torsos, and I've built up a decent faction using them.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? My Bricklink

My Flickr!
My Brickshelf!(not updated...)
<><
User avatar
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett
 
Posts: 2656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern Oregon

Postby dragonblade24 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:24 pm

this set has a good amount of figs but im not into frieght knights that much. but its a good army builder :D
1. work!
2. work harder!
3. When all else fails.....BUILD LEGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we fly to victory!' said the dragon king.
User avatar
dragonblade24
Apprentice
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:59 am
Location: in the dragons cave....trying to kill it.....ouch!

Postby Athos » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:32 pm

This was a pretty good set. You get at least two (depending on your feelings about Willa and Basil) good figures, two shields, flag, horse and accessories.

It still feels a little cheap to me. Maybe that's because all prior minifigure packs came with at least 5 figures...?

They should have tossed in a bow and arrow and quiver. And given Basil and the Witch a cape. The clear head is a nice touch. Better than the other silly crystal ball piece.

Steve
User avatar
Athos
Councilor of the Realm
 
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:33 am
Location: Nevada

Postby Formendacil » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:02 pm

Robin Hood wrote:Maybe because Fright Knights only had four different kinds of figures. If you look back, TLC only made four Fright Knight figs. Willa, Bazil, the dude in the dragon helm and with the chest plate torso, and the dude with the halberd and the red bird pattern torso. As far as I know, those are the only kinds of Fright Knight figs, granted each comes slightly different with each set, but the basic design is the same.


Five, actually.

Don't forget the dark-grey torsoed guy with the "soccer" shirt.

Of course, five figs was an acceptable number for minifigure sets as well, so that wouldn't necessarily solve any staffing issues...
Because everyone needs another LEGO blog to follow:
Grandfather's Tales
User avatar
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Framingham, MA

Postby Ben the lego king » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 pm

as for me I don't like the fk and this set I never bought as I was to young to think of the posabilatys.
the reson I don't like the fks is that I thoght that they were potrade as good guys but now I could youes them to combind to my bull knights and my shodeo knights
wunztwice wrote:
MarioDAlessio wrote:http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/973px209

...he was my favorite fright knight, the torso looks good also modified with blue arms.


They are one of my very most favorite castle torsos, and I've built up a decent faction using them.
yea you can youes them as crusaders like from aoes boberoso or some thing
KKI is the best KKI is the best
User avatar
Ben the lego king
Apprentice
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:22 pm
Location: lets see, oh yea my computer

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:12 am

Formendacil wrote:Five, actually.

Don't forget the dark-grey torsoed guy with the "soccer" shirt.

Of course, five figs was an acceptable number for minifigure sets as well, so that wouldn't necessarily solve any staffing issues...


Dang it, I knew I forgot something. As you say, it would still be more or less the same.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
User avatar
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 2:35 am
Location: An empty room.....somewhere.

Postby siabur » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:24 am

I don't own this set. But I do have some of the figs from fk ( they were aquired from bulk purchases) it's nice to know what the theme was called where these figs came from. I have 2 willa bodies, put skellie heads on 'em. As for batlord, I think he was parted out in to other figs. The helmet for him always reminded me of the orignal Beastmaster movie, the Juns. I'd pick up a set take what I liked out of it and keep as is, the rest I'd part out and customize.

Niki
Genuine Draft - A Brick Comic since October 2008
Image
Lego is my prefered drug of choice.
BCN: Brick Comic Network
User avatar
siabur
Laborer
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Rimminion Capitol City, Fairview Province

Postby Blueandwhite » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:29 pm

As a set, this is somewhat underrated.

It is not a great army builder as one doesn't need to amass an army of Willas (or at least I hope not) and there simply aren't as many figs as in older packs. With that said, it is the cheapest way to get the core figs from the Fright Knights line without shelling out for a larger (and more ridiculous) set. Allthough I'm not really partial to the Fright Knights line, it did produce some very nice torsos. I regret not purchasing any of these but I was firmly entrenched in my 'dark ages' durring that period.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

My Brickshelf Gallery
My Flickr
User avatar
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker
 
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:12 pm
Location: Bolton, Ontario

PreviousNext

Return to LEGO Castle Sets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bruce N H, rogue27 and 1 guest