Weekly Set Review: [Dragon Master's Chariot]

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
wizardnoob28
Apprentice

Post by wizardnoob28 »

hello!

Nick wrote:
although the halbards are weird
Why??? these are the most common halbards in the old sets.
I meant the halberds placement seems weird to me.
The Yeti
Laborer

Post by The Yeti »

the desing could be a bit modified, but to me its just fine. plus you get a horse, and all those nice feathers. i cant rate it personally though, for i do not own it :(
Funny things DO happen--just never when you need them...
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

My first post, and my first set!

I love this set. I don't understand the problem everyone has with the Dragon Masters, they were my first [and only] faction for quite some time.

As for the inaccuracies, I just fix them myself. Lego has done several carts but this is one of the few [if any] chariots.

It would have been cool if this came with another fig, though.
Robin Hood wrote:For me, I would really enjoy having it slicing people as its charges down the battlefield.
Lots of playability otherwise, I used to love mauling footsoldiers with those awesome halbards.
Last edited by E of Alshire on Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

E of Alshire wrote:I don't understand the problem everyone has with the Dragon Masters, they were my first and only
I don't like the figures themselves because I think the color scheme is poor and the heads ugly.

I also think the Dragon Masters were the start of poor castle sets when compared to the earlier factions.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Jojo wrote: The reason why it comes with these halberds is as simple as intriguing: They are hinged and can be flipped down.

Although I've admired and sought after this set for a very long time, I never knew the halbreds did this! I love this feature! I'm also kind of impressed that LEGO added it for a simple cart - it shows a creative side I am not used to from them when they design carts.

Danke Jojo. :)

>>EDIT - PS - Welcome E of Alshire!
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

The reason why it comes with these halberds is as simple as intriguing: They are hinged and can be flipped down.
Wow, very impressive! this improves the set's rating yet further. This feature really shows that Lego always would include intersting details and functions to small sets, as well as large ones.
wizardnoob28
Apprentice

Post by wizardnoob28 »

hello!

Jojo wrote:

The reason why it comes with these halberds is as simple as intriguing: They are hinged and can be flipped down.

wow, that improves my rating to a 8.5/10.
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I had this set, I liked it.

As someone else mentioned -- some people just expect too much from a little set like this. For what it is - it's great. A brown horse -- awesome. A minifig with a sword, whip, and halberds.

I never liked the halberds, but they're easy to clip down to a more reasonable size. And yes, the Chariot is bulky, but in my opinion it's a lot better than horse-mounted catapults (cough-KK2:2-cough), and it harkens back to the glory days when LEGO tried to put in as many pieces into even the small sets as they could.

My only complaint was a lack of shield. When I first bought this set as a kid, I was quite upset that it didn't come with one of those awesome oval shields with the dragons on it.

Overall, it's a great set, but not as good as many others of its time.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Ibzonder
Serf

Post by Ibzonder »

If you ask me, this set is good.
Small, cheap, but still with plenty of parts and a fully armed fig. The design's good too, it makes a good little set in my opinion.

8/10
--oOo--
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

Man it has been a long time since I posted.

I was never a big fan of the Dragon Masters, but I don't mind this set because it is pretty functional. I liked the brown horses (it took me forever to get one), and I also liked the long halberds as well.

I give it an 8/10.
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Just to note:
I've never seen this set in catalogues, neither with dragon masters, neither with out. I didn't see it the minor set lists either.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I'm actually mildly impressed... For a little cart, for a set of this size category, there's a goodly number of useful pieces in the set. The design is... funky, but not as distasteful as many other sets we have seen.

Parts: 7/10
Playability: 6.5/10
Figs/Accessories: 7.5/10
Design (then): 7/10
Design (now): 7.5/10
Nostalgia: 6/10

Overall Score: 6.92/10
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Nick wrote:Just to note:
I've never seen this set in catalogues, neither with dragon masters, neither with out. I didn't see it the minor set lists either.
If you were only looking at UK catalogues, then it's no surprise that you couldn't find it. Us UKers missed out on this set. :cry:

However, I don't think it was displayed in any catalogues, as it was part of a special edition service pack. I'd look in the Brickshelf Library, but it no longer exists. Peeron has the instruction scans, but not the catalogue scans...*sigh*

Anyway, a lovely set that I wish Lego would have released this side of the pond. I can just imagine a wave of these things smashing into a tightly packed horde of soldiers...

- Matt
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

Hello All,
I would buy a bunch of these for the fig and horse - I'm working on a Dragon oriented keep, so it fits for me.
Aside form that I think that it is a nice addition to a castle set up - horse, fig, halberds,and cart wheels - you don't get many chariots. I would rate it 7.5/10.
Cheers
SirBert
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
FUBU
Peasant

Post by FUBU »

blah
Last edited by FUBU on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.