What set should be the next Castle Legend? and why?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

What set should be the next Castle Legend?

375 Yellow Castle
14%
6040 Blacksmith Shop
3%
6061 Siege Tower
7%
6080 King's Castle
17%
6041 Armor Shop
7%
6062 Battering Ram
7%
6066 Camouflaged Outpost
17%
6060 Knight's Challenge
7%
6085 Black Monarch's Castle
21%
6103 Castle Mini figures
No votes

Total votes: 29

architect
Baron von Ellermann

What set should be the next Castle Legend? and why?

Post by architect »

What set should be the next Castle Legend?

Keep in mind a few things:

Does the set deserve to be a legend?
Is it the proper scale (not too small) to be a legend?
Does the set compliment the previous legends? (GI & BFF)
Is it old enough to be a legend instead of a classic rerelease? (This is why sets from the 90's aren't on the poll)

With those things in mind, evaluate your decision that you made before reading this :wink:

In the discussion everyone can give the argument for the set they chose.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Last edited by architect on Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

1st choice: 6086 (I know, 1990s... :roll: )
Reason: Large minifig count, good parts, probably would appeal to modern-day kids.

2nd choice: 6066 (I voted for this)
Reason: Good minifig selection, moderate size (not too pricy), great parts (not all wall pieces, great structure, makes a good army for the BFF and GI figs to fight, and would probably appeal to kids (remember, we want LEGO to make money so they will make MORE legends. :p).

3rd choice: 6080
Reason: Good structure, lots of good parts, good minifig selection (although I never really was a big fan of the crusaders, much better than KK and RK), compatibility with BFF.

(I hate to say, but 6103 does NOT deserve to be on the poll. I love the set, but way too small for a legend...)

(I also think that 6040 and 6041 are a bit too small...)
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

6085, should be the next legend. =P
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

My first choice would really be a 6040/6041 2-pack, since they are both pretty small. Black sword and pitchfork make these certainly the most "Legendary." But I've heard that the pitchfork is no longer available to the Lego Direct team, so that knocks off the Blacksmith and also 6103 minifig set.

375 also has serious problems - namely that the helmets & visors are not available. I don't think the pointy visors or new KK visors would be quite the same. Also, the "Yellowness" and the brick horses also limit this to a strictly nostalgia piece.

6080 I love but is probably the plainest castle, and not my first choice. Battering Ram and siege tower are both great and I'd put at the top, right below 6086, which I would vote for if I could. :roll: Or 6081, since 1990 seems like close enough to be Legendary, and two sets of the gray armor and visors would put this one over the top for me.

6066 is a great Forestmen set, though I'd prefer the bigger one with the maiden.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

6066 is my choice since long, because it have a great look, and he have a lot of playability. Many nice parts in it and 6 minifigs.

I remember when I got it for my 1987 birthday. I was astonished. It has so much story to create with this one. A great total of 6 minifigs ! And the first look of the set (the box) is very attractive. Forestmen's definitely influenced my life. Definitely ! :D But that's another story... I'll explain it another time. :wink:

You can build many alternative sets, and the one on the boxes are simply incredible !

Kids should not miss this one. It's not a mistery that forestmen's are the favorite. Please TLC, don't miss this one !
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

David Girard wrote:6066 is my choice since long, because it have a great look, and he have a lot of playability. Many nice parts in it and 6 minifigs.

I remember when I got it for my 1987 birthday. I was astonished. It has so much story to create with this one. A great total of 6 minifigs ! And the first look of the set (the box) is very attractive. Forestmen's definitely influenced my life. Definitely ! :D But that's another story... I'll explain it another time. :wink:

You can build many alternative sets, and the one on the boxes are simply incredible !

Kids should not miss this one. It's not a mistery that forestmen's are the favorite. Please TLC, don't miss this one !
Thats what I voted for too. Robin Hood is a classic, we hear about it all the time. Robin des Bois. The stories surrounding this guy and all make excellent playability in kid's lego collection.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

6061 and 6062 together at the same time! Men, castle parts, brown ladder. I only get one vote? Shows up for 6061. Either of the later castles would be fine (men, horses, castle parts). Minifigs would probably not do that well. The camoflauged outpost would do well. My kids (7, 9) came in the room when I had a pic of it loaded "Cooooollll!" they exclaimed 8) Considering I ran out of bricks building this morning, I am ready for some new (rereleased or whatever) sets
Troy T. Moore
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Here would be my choices:

1) 6080, as a set, it has a plethora of useful castle building pieces. If it was brick built rather than wall panels, this would be the best set ever made. The figs were excellent and as a stand-alone castle, it looked like a castle. With all the modular add-ins available to spruce up this set, it really exemplifies what made castle great. This set would be the perfect compliment to the existing Legends.

2) 6066, I loved this set, the figs were great and the history behind the Robin Hood storyline makes it even more fun. The price point would also favor multiple set purchases much like the BFF. It would be my top choice, but I like a brown tree. :wink:

3) 6060 Knight's Challenge has what all the other sets are missing, the pageantry of the castle age. Jousting and tournaments are what elevated knights from the common man. As a set it has 2 bardings and would have a reasonably low price point for the fig count. 6085 would also be good, but to me the 6085 was always the 6080's ugly cousin.

4) The rest of the sets tend in my opinion to need to be released in a value pack like the value pack as of old. How great would a 6040, 6041 and a 6103 value pack be. They aren't big enough to be legends, but together they would be the best value pack ever made. There is that whole pitchfork issue though... :x 6061 and 6062 could also be packed together and that would also be a great offering.

Any castle Legend would be welcome at this point though; I just can't get excited about the jellybean knights.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

6086 - we are talking about a long out-of-release great design, I don't care if it dribbles over into the 90's. It's the best of the raised baseplate designs, looks different from the gray castles, has a great fig selections, and isn't a standard symmetrical square.

6080, while a wonderful castle, is less appealing simply because 6074 has already appeared. I'm just as happy getting two 6074 as a 6080 - it just doesn't bring anything new to the table. 6085 is simply the black version of 6080, and as a black castle, I think 6086 is the more interesting design. 375 - it's yellow and they already stated that it wouldn't get the old helms, so blah!

The various modular sets are all good, and all I'd like to see. I think I like the siege tower the best, since you can extend your 6074, and have a great piece for the attackers. But the interior shops are also appealing. The trouble is that they dilute each other when choosing. I'd almost like to see a run-off on interior wall shops and exterior siege sets so that each is represented by a single choice. Same for a Forestmen set.

I'd love to see 6103, but honestly, I don't think it needs to be called a Legends. My actual vote? 6060. It's been done so badly since then (I shudder at the new version coming out) it looks great in comparison. Lots of figs, colorful addition to the grounds around the castle.

Honestly, I'd rather see any random five of these over the new Castles stuff (but I'll take what I can get).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

6061 simply beacuse i never got it, and i just love the tower :D .
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

It's a great set with lots of good parts, a good number of minifigs, and a very comfortable price point $20 - $25. It would play well with the two legends we've already gotten by adding a new faction for more possible scenarios.

The armor and blacksmith shops would work well as a two-pack, but I don't think either of them alone are big enough to bother producing as a legend.

6060 would be great for minifigs and interesting parts, but I don't think it would sell very well except for people looking to buy a minifig, horse, and equipment pack.

6080 would be neat. I would buy it, but it just doesn't interest me as much as 6066.

6085 would also be cool, and I would buy that if it was a Legend, but it's a bit expensive so I probably could only get one.

Battering Ram and Siege tower are both good, but I think they would be best as a two pack since they are thematically similar.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

6060 can't be a legend because people outside the US don't even know it. But then again... 6390 also became a Legend although people outside the US didn't even know it.
That means: People don't vote for Legends but only for Wannahaves.

375 will be the next legend. LEGO doesn't need many grey pieces to bring it back, and grey is not available anymore.

Bye
Jojo

TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

6060 can't be a legend because people outside the US don't even know it. But then again... 6390 also became a Legend although people outside the US didn't even know it.
That means: People don't vote for Legends but only for Wannahaves.
What else counts? I'd buy virtually everything on the C-C ballot except 375. For that one, I'd let people break down the castle on Bricklink and buy the figs there and that's it.
375 will be the next legend. LEGO doesn't need many grey pieces to bring it back, and grey is not available anymore.
It could be. Certainly Lego was considering it because they put it on the ballot. But that there was resistance to it because it wasn't going to have the original visors and some other changes, and frankly it didn't do that well in the voting. I rather suspect that it was the most likely ballot member to have it's inclusion rethought by Lego - a yellow castle just didn't fit into people's collections.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Minor changes.........that reminds me, whats up with the painted horses in the guarded inn? one of my inns had one and the other did not.

i voted for 6066. i was leaning to 6060 because it is the BEST joust set ever and has clever design elements, like the ale seller. But.......what legands line could be compleet with no forestmen?
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

375 is THE castle.

It was the first, it is legendary and some former quotes from TLC indicate, that legends will not necessary come with original pieces (didn't even someone mention helemts as a special concern?! That only touches Classic Space and 375).

The only thing standing against 375 are the visors and maybe redesigning the stickers. The rest is just bricks! Therefore it would be cheap in production, many people would buy it because of the minifigs and of cours it's a true legend (sorry, had to mention it again ;-))

The only thing I fear is, they could make it in new gray. That would be cruel.
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.