Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's Crossing

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Magnus
Artisan

river crossing

Post by Magnus »

The forestbabe makes the set, both for her torso and her green headscarf. While the torso is mainly useful for castle/pirate type setting the green headscarf would be great to have for a modern military special forces or guerilla type fig. It is a great shame it isn't available in more sets.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

My late review of the 6071 set...
I don't own this set. I know is existence since 1990.

I can't say I love this set for many reason. It doesn't have a nice look. The tree is strangely done. I don't understand why the ladder was so high. It look strange. The building is not so good too.

But I hace to admit, that just for the baseplate and the forestwomen, this set is good. The minifig choice is great. There is one horse. I guess there is much playing to do with thi set.

So It's not so bad after all. I give it about 7/10.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

One of the all-time classics of Castle LEGO, if only because of the Forestwoman, whose place in legend is as sure as that of the Black Sword.

As a model, it has a good complement of pieces and figs, as well as an interesting baseplate. The baseplate, as noted by others, leads to the main deficiency in the set design: the river is far too small to bother with having a bridge. But other than that, it is an excellent set, and any young player can easily pretend that the river is more substantial/dangerous than it appears.

Parts: 8.5/10
Playability: 9/10
Figs/Accessories: 9/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now): 9/10
Nostalgia: 8/10

Overall Score: 8.58/10
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I never got the chance to see this set "up close", but I always thought it looked amazing. Creative, imaginative, with lots of room for all kinds of attacks/adventure and a good number of figs (and the forestwoman).

I can't wait to get this set ~

10/10
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I missed this review?

My favorite forestmen set, and thus one of my favorite Castle sets. Yes, it's a wimpy little creek, but it has all those little romantic Robin Hood elements: a fusion of tree and structure, rope bridge to give it three-dimenionality and swashbuckling opportunities, lots of figs, and yes (the cresendo of wolf-whistles is overwhelming) the Forest Babe. I would dearly love to see this become a Legend. 10/10 (and I don't give out tens lightly).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

It's a very insignificant set, with a very flimsy structure. However, it has a good few minifigs and accessories. It is good as an addition to a forestmen collection, and a welcome addition. I would never get it on its own, though.
Design: 5/10
Playability: 7/10
Minifigs: 9/10 (Has a rare forest woman)
Accessories: 9/10
Nostalgia: 3/10 (I didn't have forestmen sets as a child)
Average: 6.6
Nothing special.
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

I think this set is absolutely wonderful.

My first forestman set, will always have a special place...I still have the original instructions and every last piece!

I had saved $30 dollars when I was a kid and never thought about the taxes. It was the last one on the shelf and my heart sank whent the taxes went past $30. I must have looked awful depressed, the teller payed the rest. :D

I think I may rebuild it again someday.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

I had saved $30 dollars when I was a kid and never thought about the taxes. It was the last one on the shelf and my heart sank whent the taxes went past $30. I must have looked awful depressed, the teller payed the rest. Very Happy
Awwww..... so sad. :wink:

I like the set. It comes with some great pieces, great figs, and great accessories. I don't really care for the 'Forestmen' Castle theme, yet this one has a class in its own. The baseboard is very attractive, as the forestwoman is quite alluring :wink: It would go to great use as a scene in Chaos Skies where Garadaine must flee from his father a go live with Robin Hood :lol: :D

My humble opinions submitted.

Respectfully,

Shadow
mscannell
Serf

Post by mscannell »

I really like this set. It is a shame the forestwoman didn't come in more sets. I wish lego would have come out with more forestman sets back in the day.
quiksand
Peasant

Post by quiksand »

Oh, what a great set. I was never very keen on forestmen sets back when they were available, and now it's another LEGO regret, and the list only seems to get longer as I age. Hopefully this will be resurected as a Legend some day.
Why do you need all those minifigs? You'll poke your eye out!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

One of the most sought after sets, if I am not mistaken. I got mine as a reward for stacking two cords of firewood, when I was 12 or so.

Got my second one from a thrift store for just a couple of bucks. Nearly complete, and the only things missing were pieces I could easily replace.

The forest woman is a great figure. And even better if you have a green one of these: http://media.peeron.com/ldraw/images/19/3678.png, and you can make a green princess to go with the blue one from the kings mountain fortress.

The only real down side to this set, is the stupid markings on the baseplate studs.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Athos wrote:The only real down side to this set, is the stupid markings on the baseplate studs.

Steve
I totally agree with this. I have always liked this set and I love the baseplate. But when you build with it, you have to use a bunch of green bricks and plates to cover up the white markings. :evil:

Like this

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Kanduu
Laborer

Post by Kanduu »

I guess part of the draw for me is nostalgia. This was my first set. I got it when I was 3 or 4, and I remember having loads of fun with it back when I was younger. The design is great, and the tree bridge over water was an excellent idea (what ever happened to that masterbuilder?).

I haven't had it built for some time, but I've taken some ideas from it for using in MOCs, like the door. (Though that was also a while back.)

The forestwoman is nice, especially since it's the only princess-type torso I have. What's really amazing is I've had her all this time, and NO cracks (I really don't know how that's happened, but I like it. :D )
"Go Pokes!" :)
Paladin
Villein

Post by Paladin »

Ahh...a classic set that I truly loved. This was my second-ever castle set when I was young...the first being #6062. I believe it was a birthday present.

In any case it was one of my favorite sets. With a little work I made larger living quarters for my forest men and the quite rare woman of course. I still have all the parts to this set including the baseplate and forest-girl.

Actually the forest girl is now part of a semi-custom fantasy RPG fig (Rosa from the FF4 video game). And that is the original torso from my original copy of this set.

While not the best Forestmen set (regardless of the forest-girl) such as the likes of "Forestmen's River Fortress", because it was an early set for me it is one of my favorites.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Ah, what a set! What a set I would love to own. With four forestmen, the ever sought after forest woman, the horse, the baseplate, the ladder, the bridge, and everything else, who would not want it.

I must say though, I am a bit surprised at the lack of another faction. Usually with a set like this there is at least one other dude to help spice up the games. Curious to say the least.

Oh, if only I could have it.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.