Weekly Set Review: Forestmen's Crossing

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Tristram
Laborer

Post by Tristram »

This is a cool looking set, and one that I would love to own. It stands on it's own as a playset. I love all of the different elements that make it up. Although it's a bummer that the white dots appear on the base plate, the plate itself looks nice with the stream. Maybe the bridge is used during flood season! :wink:

I have no forestmen, much less a forestwoman. This would be a nice set to start with in that faction.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Robin Hood wrote:I must say though, I am a bit surprised at the lack of another faction. Usually with a set like this there is at least one other dude to help spice up the games. Curious to say the least.
Actually no. This set is from 1990. Back then all of the larger castles that clearly belonged to one faction just came with minifigs from that faction. Only sets whose purpose is interaction (like jousts, siege, trade, prisons) came with figures from more than one faction. (And yes, there is also 6077 River Fortress that came with a single Lions knight...)

There wasn't much need for spicing up the game. First of all there used to be bricks to build with, and building was part of the game. Secondly you were forced to buy several boxes with LEGO models to get several factions. Good for TLC.

And thirdly a figure from another faction cuts off the original occupants. So if 6071 was meant to come with four figs, a fig from another faction probably would have meant: three Forestmen, one other. That's why the modern LEGO castles come with that few occupants, too many seats are wasted for aggressors.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Jojo wrote:Actually no. This set is from 1990. Back then all of the larger castles that clearly belonged to one faction just came with minifigs from that faction. Only sets whose purpose is interaction (like jousts, siege, trade, prisons) came with figures from more than one faction. (And yes, there is also 6077 River Fortress that came with a single Lions knight...)

There wasn't much need for spicing up the game. First of all there used to be bricks to build with, and building was part of the game. Secondly you were forced to buy several boxes with LEGO models to get several factions. Good for TLC.

And thirdly a figure from another faction cuts off the original occupants. So if 6071 was meant to come with four figs, a fig from another faction probably would have meant: three Forestmen, one other. That's why the modern LEGO castles come with that few occupants, too many seats are wasted for aggressors.
I agree with Jojo. With the exception of Forestmen's River Fortress, the "Outlaw" sets did not have opposing soldiers. This was great because sets like 6066 could come with 6 Forestmen. Another example 6075 Wolfpack Tower only had wolfpack figures. LEGO slowly added opposing soldiers, usually one Wolfpack guy in the Dragon Master sets. Now each set seems to have 2 or more opponents, and because of this we hardly have any generic soldiers :? Make kids buy both sets to get all the guys. Or if they only like knights or only like Vladek soldiers, let them buy those sets. The only exceptions should be sets that could fit in either faction. But wait, that would require a modular wall section to attach to multiple castles. I must be dreaming.... :wink:

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Jojo wrote:Actually no. This set is from 1990. Back then all of the larger castles that clearly belonged to one faction just came with minifigs from that faction. Only sets whose purpose is interaction (like jousts, siege, trade, prisons) came with figures from more than one faction. (And yes, there is also 6077 River Fortress that came with a single Lions knight...)

Hmmm, I see. I guess I was thinking in a wrong time period.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Scurticus
Gong Farmer

Post by Scurticus »

this was actually my first forest set and now that i think about maybe my first castle set. if i would have known i was going to do all the things i build now i would have asked for tons more of them. it has many good pieces and they are perfect for mocs. i give this set a 10 out of 10.
ahoy,
scurticus
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

This is precisely why I have absolutely zero -- that's right, zero -- Black Falcons. :cry: I got all the Crusaders sets, and my younger brother got the Black Falcons. Even when a set (like a minifig pack or a joust) came with multiple factions, we split up the figs by factioninto each of our respective collections. Yikes.

I keep trying to convince him that we should re-trade and get back the minifgs we should each have, but I live in Seattle and he lives in San Diego. Sigh... But hey, he has zero Forestmen and Crusaders and I have scores of each. 8) (Perhaps I'll give up on my flakey brother and post in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum again...)

EDIT: Oops, let's add something on-topic... This is one of the all-time favorite sets that I don't have. And c'mon, that Forestwoman fig alone sells for $30 or more on Bricklink, which just makes me want it (and her) even more... :D
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

This is a neat little set. Nothing extraordinary but goodlooking. And lots of figs of course 8)

But I have never understood this hysteria about the forestwoman. Yes, she only appears in this set but I still don´t get it. If it had been a cool fig I had understood it but IMHO she´s not even cool, her torso is pretty nice but otherwise I don´t care for her. And hey, you can always use stickers or decals ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
fuzzy
Laborer

review

Post by fuzzy »

8) course i never had the set (im 13)but it is awsome from where i see it. babe minifig is awsome. most of all i like the baseplate the bridge and the ladder. 7/10 overall,
9/10 for forestmen. :D

some random dude

THE FUZZLES WILL GET YOU ALL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Very nice set. Plus, the forestwoman 8) .

Fuzzy: Neopets user ha :wink: .
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.