Weekly Set Review: Citadel of Orlan

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Pacificus
Villein

Post by Pacificus »

I like the Citadel, maybe because I bought it on clearance somewhere. It's full of fun little adventures, I guess, the bridge contraption, the vine climb, the serpent head, and all the traps. The armorless Rascus made it possible to easily attach a Qui-Gon wig. The Guardian looks better without the long beard (to make a pre-"I'm stuck guarding an trans-orange toilet plunger head and have no razor" Guardian).

I just don't know what to do with the radioactive spear. :P

I believe this set came with the Guardian card, a white knight with white/silver/gold (?) accessories. It would've been really, really, really cool to have a minifig that looks like the Guardian card. Next year's sets, perhaps?
PACIFICVS
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

JoshWedin wrote:
Nick wrote:P.S. Does anyone know what those wheels before the drawbridge are for?
Yup, the chains on the rocks wrap around the axles of the wheels. The drawbridge is a trap. Once a fig steps on it, it falls and the rocks are supposed to get pulled down on top of him.

Josh
WRONG! :D

No, seriously, the hero slices the 'boulder' (the two rocks) in half, causing them to fall and raise the drawbridge.

Otherwise, an odd set. Neat Guardian, no Rascus armor to paint :? , halberds galore.

3/10, only for the halberds
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

E of Alshire wrote:
WRONG! :D

No, seriously, the hero slices the 'boulder' (the two rocks) in half, causing them to fall and raise the drawbridge.
Really? I never understood that. Thanks for the correction. :)

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Good selection of parts. Crappy model. I like the guardian and the armorless Rascus torso. Probably the best of the KK2 sets

5/10

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

I usually like to give my opinion of a set based on my view of it, plus my view of how a child would play with it. However, I don't own this set, so I can't sit down with it and 'be a kid' for a few minutes. So, I can only give my opinion of how useful this set would be to me.

First of all.. the figures. I guess I'm the only one here that doesn't see the appeal of the Guardian figure. I mean.. he's got a beard -- yippee, I barely use those, and I'm capable of painting them if I really need a grey one. The head is nothing special.. and I can't seem to think of any use I'd have for that torso design.. soooo..

Rascus. The only redeeming feature on Rascus is that I do sort of like his helmet design, and his armour. This Rascus does not come with armour, for some inconcievable reason.

Santis. Red armour is kind of cool. But the helmet is aweful.

And even better, both Rascus and Santis are available in other, better sets. And Rascus even has his armour in those sets.

So far.. no reason to buy the set for its figures.

One Shadow Knight doesn't justify the cost, that's for sure.

Then I look at the actual set.. and it's just.. I don't know.. unimpressive. I keep trying to figure out what to say about it.. but there's really nothing to say about the set itself, that's how 'blah' it is.

As an AFOL -- I see no reason to ever bother owning this set. And simply as a point of principle, I would not buy this set for my 6-year-old nephew.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Meh. Thats about all I can say about it. Its certainally not totally horrible, but there are much better sets (some being KK2).

For pieces, its half and half. You do get the guardian, a shadow knight, a fair amount of weapons and bricks. But its all bley, (in my opinion, a point against it) and Rascus has no euro armour, which still puzzles me. My only thought is that is has something to do with vine-swinging thing.

The design is horrible. The best part is the drawbridge thingy. There are many holes in the wall, it follows no design that I can see, and the snake and vine thing makes me reak.

So, I would say it is 25% good, 25% meh, and half bad.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

The climb-up-feature seems to be the reason for Rascus not wearing his armour.

Bye
Jojo
I don't own the set, but I recently thought that might be the reason why he lacked his armor. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Jojo.

As others have said, visually it's just not very appealing. The Border Ambush has a better bridge, and the KK2.1 castle has better parts (and all the pieces to all the figs).

And that snake... creature... thing... just doesn't 'do it' for me. I don't know, maybe its the lack of the body, or what seems to be a very flat head, but it just doesn't look that scary or impressive to me.

Shoulda imported a Midgard Serpent.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

OK about that set... well first of all you can all read my full review
(which I have no idea what the link is...)

Just get rid of those 5 useless ugly BULK baseplates
get rid of several Technic parts (which even for Technic not usefull)
more BULK bricks

and then yeah you have like 200 usefull bricks
The green knight got a very usefull Far Eastern torso that can be usefull with the orients sets.

In oter words save your money for Ebay:)
Wilod King
Serf

Crazy Stuff

Post by Wilod King »

Well for some odd reason I bought two of this at best mediocre set. I had been buying sets in duplicates for parts for some reason :oops: . I did'nt really like the set itself, and don't even think I ever assembled it. I think the design is rather bad. Although it does have some good points for playability and imagination. I don't really like at all the mega ultra large huge baseplates, nor the unimmaginative wall pieces, though the wrought iron window insets are spiffy. I like the rascus printed torso, the guardian, and the shadow knight, but only after modification. I greatly dislike all of the new helmets and visors, so I trade for the old grey pointed ones (I keep the colored "motorcycle" helmet part). I like the Rascus figure with a brown cape, brown (Johnny Thunder) hat, with a yellow double plume, a wonderful midevil gentleman. The guardian looks better with a brown farmers cowel and a brown cape, and the Shadow knight looks better with a black cowel and a smaller black plastic cape. The set could have used a horse or something to utilize the wheels :idea: . A set only for collectors or parts fodder.
Wilod, King of the Dilods, Destroyer of Worlds. A.K.A. Psychoboy, Ruler of the Unknown Universe, and Cheese
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

One day I was looking at legos at the local toystore I had fifty five dollars in my pocket for getting 5 A's and one B. I saw this set, and I saw a royal joust and a few chrome sets. I had to choose, I thought hmm 4 figures and 442 pieces vs 10 minifigures, three horses, one dragon, a catapult, and a chariot and about 375 pieces. Hmm, I thought, and stacked all the kk1 together and marched to the counter. I had 11 dollars left over...

A few months later I got this set and I built and took it apart instantly. I honestly hated kk2 two for new gray, poor design, and the jellybeans, but shadowknights I like. But worse of all there were less bad guys then good guys! 13 jellybeans and the king vs 8 bad guys. NOTE: this is when you buy all the sets!
gormadoc1
Artisan

Re: Weekly Set Review: Citadel of Orlan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I dont own this set but the design of the citadel looks good although the wizard guy looks creepy so I'll give it 7.5/10. :)

...gormadoc1
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.